“The worse room we have ever stayed in.”
Review of Beaucliffe Hotel

and 1 more site!
Beaucliffe Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed in number 19 in the attic.The bedroom had an obvious smell of damp to it & was very din-gy. The wallpaper was bubbling off the walls towards the ceiling due to dampness. The sink was in the bedroom & had no hot water supply The tap also fell off. Bathroom was very old and had no taps on the bath. Shower had no water pressure . Beware the stairs at the top on the landing there is no handrail to hold on to . The dining room & breakfast was OK. ( Not very happy.)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 3, 2009

I stayed here with my daughter, we went to the MEN arena to see Green Day. The staff were very helpful in explaining to us about the buses etc. The room was ok, ensuite could do with a better door, the room was clean and tidy. tea, coffee and hot chocolate provided in your room. Basic hotel and excellent location. easy to find just off motorway. I would certainly use it again. Breakfast was full english or choice of scrambled or poached egg or beans on toast. plenty of cereal, tea, coffee, fruit juices. marmalades etc.. we were offered more toast also.
floors are very creaky but it is an old building.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed June 22, 2009

When i say 'Blast from the past!!!!' its because the last time the furniture was updated was most probaly then!!
Me and my wife stayed their for one night to attend a family funeral in Salford so it was great for the location.

When driving into the car park of the Beaucliffe it seemed at first sight a reasonably nice hotel, however when you enter the hotel your views change!!
Check-in was o.k with a polite man who explained the times for breakfast and our room numbers.
We made our way to our room and unlocked the door, it looked loked we had gone back in time or stepped into a 1980's museum!!!
The decor was very dated and was mis-matched, the sliding door to the shower/toilet had no lock and when the wind blew in the room the door would blow upwards like a giant catflap!!!!
The shower had no pressure behind it and would just trickle out.
The television would not switch on and off so you would have to do it from the plug, it did have a remote next to the bed but when you picked it up the back fell off and the batteries would fall out..
Walking around the room is a nightmare with every floorboard creaking and all the other rooms floors you could hear creaking during the night!!!
You do have complimentary tea and coffee of which is stored in an old cracked ice-cream tub.
Oh yeh and beware of a pervert on the top floor who watches out and can see in your rooms via a mirror at the end of your bed!!!! (close your curtains).....

I do recommend this hotel for close access to City centre and Trafford centre.
The service is o.k and the Breakfast is great with a very happy waitress.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2008

The hotel was surprisingly quite nice when we had reached it. It had a 2-star rating on hotels.com, which really worried me as we had been on a 8 hour bus journey from the very North of Scotland.

We went to see R.E.M. and the Manchester Pride Festival, so as you can imagine - money was very tight. The hotel was cheap and therefore we had a lot more to spend out and about in Manchester.

The tram is located quite near to the hotel, you need to walk through a nice wee market place with small shops and English pubs. Directly across from the hotel is a great Chinese restaurant, which I recommend as an alternative to the hotel's food.

The food supplied at breakfast was absolutely disgusting. It was sheer politeness that prevented me from complaining about the food. The sausages were about the only edible thing on the plate. I think - judging by the other reviews here, that the food has been generally the same for years and years.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Spent six days in the hotel in early April as part of a spectacular week of football in and around Manchester. I needed a place that was relatively close to Old Trafford, the tram line, and wouldn't break my budget. In hindsight, I should have spent a little more money.

Checked in on Tuesday and was allocated a double room for my first night as I had a friend with me for the first football match. It was fine if not a bit dingy but it would do. Clean linen but as previous reviewers have said,"When was the last time this place received a proper cleaning?" Perhaps it is just time for a full renovation. We woke up the next morning and had a game of golf booked locally but the shower would not provide any hot water. Oh the joy. Pressed for time to get to golf, out on the drink pretty well the night before and no shower. What a lovely way to start the day.

Switched into a single for the remaining nights with the same level of cleanliness. At least the shower worked.

The breakfast was poor. I only ate it three out of six days. As mentioned previoulsy the bar is no longer operational.

The people at the desk were helpful and able to answer my questions quite well.

It's a longer hike to the tram than it looks on a map. This trek started to wear on me after a few days and it takes longer to get to Old Trafford than I would have preferred. I'll stay closer next year.

All in all, the hotel was safe, quiet, and certainly not a hazard to one's health, but I do wonder why they don't make certain improvements:

1. a hairdryer in each room.
2. iron and board in each room
3. better breakfast
4. at the hardest to implement........time for a complete overhaul folks. New carpets, wall paper, paint, plumbing/shower facilities and so on. It's time. Really!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2008

My Mother, daughter and I stayed at the Beaucliffe for 3 nights. We really enjoyed our stay. Make no mistake, the Beaucliffe is an old building in an older part of Manchester, but to us it added to the charm. It was very, very clean and the family operators were so friendly. If you want a 'typical hotel experience' the Beaucliffe is not for you. If you want to stay in an interesting atmosphere, across the street from the best chip shop we found in Britian, check-in. Loved the skeleton key access to the room BTW.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jjspub
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We were, attending a wedding in Salford and needed a hotel to stay in. Booked this one through net, 4 star, comfortable, clean, bar etc.
Thought it sounded fab so booked it!!! How wrong can you be.
Got there and door was locked, waited 10 minutes for someone to come and answer. From the outside it looks a bit like Fawlty Towers!!
Booked in given keys and went to room, what a let down. Double bed up against radiator so if one of us was on that side had to climb over the other to get out of bed. Furniture had paint coming off all over. Wardrobe only 2 hangers in and had to keep clothes in covers because of the smell of damp. ENSUITE toilet and shower, the door did not shut and the window from the bedroom was directly infront really overlooked so each time you wanted to go to the loo you had to close the bedroom curtains. The showere you could have spit quicker. Really dirty don't know when the last time the woodwork seen a wet clothe. The sink for some bazaar reason was in the bedroom. The whole place is very dirty and smells of damp.
Went down for breakfast the following morning, not recommended, husband who will eat anything sent it back together with the rest of us, sausage was the cheapest you could buy, bacon was not cooked, beans awful, fried bread was like a serviette dipped in fat. The toast was ok though. No one even asked what was wrong with it, everyone was doing the same. Mangement not interested just want your money.
Asked where the bar was to be told that there was no demand for it so had decided not to have it anymore, I said it was advertised as having one and also on the board outside, manager just said oh I'll have to change that!!!!!
Went down next morning for breakfast and decided to have poached egg, though this was a save bet, these were just done in water, not drained and put onto your toast, well you can imagine what that was like.
I would stear clear from this hotel and wouldn't stay there even if I was paid to, its the dirtiest we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business