“Good Location - Not very good for price”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Good Location - Not very good for price”
Reviewed October 1, 2010

This Express is in a good location. Ample parking.

Public area's have been nicely refurbished. Rooms are a bit dark and tired.

My room was next to the air conditioning fans, so felt like i was sleeping on a plane (207). (Had to use earplugs). Shower had leaks in the hose, water spurted everywhere.

Breakfast had the 'new improved' - horrible cereal cruncher machine, just gives a bowl of crumbs. (Bring back the good old Kellogs box's)

Wasn't really very good for the price £90, but ok if you pay much less.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
edwarddavies, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Dear Mr Smith,

We were sorry to hear that not everything met to your satisfaction during your recent stay.

Our bedrooms were redecorated last year, and this coming November all our beds and sofabeds are being replaced,

In regards to the noise of the air conditioning unit, if you had informed a member of staff about the noise they would have happily swapped you to a much quieter room.
Were our staff aware of this situation and the leaking shower hose they would have happily done anything they could to make your stay more enjoyable.

As a platinum priority club member and a regular guest at the IHG chain you are most probably aware of the recent changes that include breakfast, unfortunately the selection of items is out of our control but we are currently looking for some new dispensers for the cereals.

We hope that this does not deter you from booking with the IHG brand in future, and we would look forward to welcoming you back if you choose to stay here with us again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Snowdonia National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I just want to thank all the staff concerned at this hotel for the care and and attention extended to my familiy during their recent vist. I had booked my mother, her brother and sister in law and my mothers friend into the hotel for a few days break. Having stayed here myself on several occasion I knew the location would be ideal for them; with all the ameneties available right on their doorstep. The group are elderly and one is quite infirm which meant that they couldnt get about as they used to.
Since their return they havent stopped enthusing about how wonderfull the staff were and how nothing was too much bother for them. Some may classify this a 'budget hotel', that said I have always found that I have everything I could wish for in a hotel and more. The view from your room is always uplifting, the facilities are perfectly fine, as for those going on about dated tv's? How wastefull it would be to change such items each time something new became available. Being mosly northeners I have found the staff to be very friendly and down to earth and that is how I like it.
Once again thank you so much for ensuring that they had such a wonderful time, it meant so much to them .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
edwarddavies, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your recent review posted above.

We are pleased to hear that your family enjoyed their stay, and this all down to our staff.
We pride ourselves on our guest relations, and are always looking for ways to improve on this to make guests stay more enjoyable. After reading this review to my colleagues, they all remembered your family and were delighted that they enjoyed their stay.

As mentioned we are conveniently located for local attractions and amenities, and have the fabulous views, out over the Manchester Ship Canal.

Once again we would like to thank you for your review, and look forward to welcoming yourself and your family back at our hotel sometime in the future.

gloucestershire
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend have just come back from staying at the Holiday Inn Express, Salford Quays. We went for the bank holiday weekend. While we were there we did the Man United stadium and museum tour, this is great and would recommend. This hotel is less than a mile walk away from the ground and easy to find. The hotel is right on the Quays and is in a nice area, there are a few restaurants nearby and the tram stop is 2 mins from the hotel. The hotel was very pleasant, the room we had was very big with a walk in shower. Quite modern and had everything we needed. Our view was lovely as you could see the football ground and still part of the Quay. The breakfast was free but wouldnt recommend. The hot food they did was sausages and egg. We ate it the first morning but didnt bother on the second. Shopping centre just down the road, with a brilliant and huge cinema inside, just a lovely walk along the Quay. Def visit the trafford centre if you go, massive with loads of shops. Lastly if you fancy a few drinks i would walk a few mins down the road to the grill bar, as drinks were much cheaper than the hotel. All in all perfect hotel for what we needed, very clean and quite modern,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
edwarddavies, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your review posted above, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, we pride ourselves on our location and the ability to reach a load of the local attractions all within a convenient time limit.

We were sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy the breakfast and would like to recieve some feedback as to why, if you would like to assist then please email me at deputy@expressmanchester.co.uk.

best regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Arrived at this hotel at 14:00 check in time on Sunday and once we had checked in we went to the room where it had not been made, people had used it before us and was still in the condition it was left in, wet towels on the floor, bed sheets on the floor, coffee mugs had been used, shampoo all over the bathroom floor. I was very shocked because its not like it was an early check in, it was afternoon time! Anyway went down to reception to complain and got put in a new room. Nice room, and the hotel is in a perfect location, 5 mins from the meto, restaurants and tesco express!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Mark,

We were sorry to read your review above, and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused upon your arrival, we would like to make it clear that this is an extremely rare occurence and this situation will now be briefed to all staff to find out what happened.

apart from that we are pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future visit.

Regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed here a few times.
Excellent location for Manchester Centre and The Village - quick taxi ride of about £6.

The hotel is one of the older HIE's and it's fair to say the rooms are looking a little dated, but are still mostly clean and of a good size. There's a pull out sofa bed for 2, which means there is sleeping capacity for 4.

Bathroom is small, with no bath - standard for HIE. It is however clean and sufficient.

Downstairs in the lobby there's a bar which seems to serve 24 hours - prices are VERY high! There's also a fridge with limited groceries and an ice machine.

Personally I didn't have breakfast, but 2 of our party did. A choice of continental and cooked breakfast - which they say was 'actually very nice'!

Overall a pleasant stay - just don't expect too much. Worth saying though that other hotel chains do the budget hotel end better these days. HIE need to update quickly if they are to remain competition.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your review posted above, and were pleased to see that our facilities were sufficient for your stay.

As mentioned it is as standard at a Holiday Inn Express, to have showers rather than baths, also our bedrooms were refurbished in 2009.

We thank you for your feedback as only with this can we strive to make things better, we look forward to any return journey you may wish to make, so you can see the ever improving standards of the Holiday Inn Express.

Hong Kong
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Excellent location if you want to be in the Salford Quays area and easy enough to drive into town. However the hotel itself was a disappointment. On first sight it looks modern enough but the rooms were a disappointment - they were tired-looking and not the cleanest. The beds definitely felt as if the mattresses had seen better days. The only good thing about breakfast was that it was there - the quality however was not there; one of the worst hotel breakfasts I've come across. During the same holiday we stayed in a hotel run by a close competitor and the difference in breakfast quality was huge - Holiday Inn Express really need to do much better (and they should not hide behind the excuse that "it's free so be grateful for what you get" - at least one other hotel chain charge similar prices but manage to produce breakfasts which are in a completely different league)

Aside from the poor room and breakfast, it was also irritating to find that their reservation system leaves a lot to be desired. I made a booking on the hotel website a week before our stay and got a special rate. However upon turning up at the hotel the front desk had no record of our special rate and proposed charging a rate which was double the rate quoted on the website. The receptionist was helpful enough in sorting out the problem (in the end they allowed me free internet access so that I could access my Yahoo email account to forward the booking confirmation email to the front desk) but it wasted 20 minutes and the problem should never have occurred in the first place.

Holiday Inn Express really need to do a lot better!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
edwarddavies, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Dear Daniel,

We were sorry to hear that your stay was not enjoyable for you:
Bedrooms- in regards to cleanliness this is an issue i will be addressing this with our housekeeping department today, we like to take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, and anything less than expected is not acceptable. In relation to the beds, we are due to have every bed replaced in the hotel over the next few months.
Breakfast- i would like to say as a hotel manager we do not try to hide behind the excuse its free, in relation to what we offer we are governed by brand standards to which we must adhere too, if your complaint is in relation to the quality of the food this is an issue which i shall forward onto our companies purchasing manager, who is responsible for sourcing the best products, so we do like to recieve feedback so we can try to make things better.
Reservation error- in relation to this we are currently aware of the situation, and are in the middle of setting up a new process within the hotel, to ensure that errors like this are spotted before guests arrive to stop the inconvenience that has obviously been caused to yourself, for which we would like to apologise.

We appreciate your feedback as only with this can we strive to make things better.
If you would like to discuss further any issues mentioned above then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed here for one night so we could see a show at the Lowry. The room was okay - a little tired in some ways (eg TV was pretty ancient) but no major problems. Bed was comfortable and the room seemed clean. The maid attempted to clean our room at 8.55am on a Saturday morning. I'm not a particularly late riser - but I did feel this was excessively early!

The disappointment for us was the breakfast; I have no problem with a self-service breakfast, but the one here was very poorly organised and stocked. Everything is contained within a very small room/area so it gets quite chaotic if many people go up at once. The first time I went up there were no plates, just bowls. Not only that the only hot food available was scrambled eggs. I therefore retired to my table with a crossaint in a bowl thinking I'd go back in 10-15 minutes once things had been replenished. Went back only to find exactly the same situation as before. A gentleman next to me with the same frustration went and asked at reception for plates. A minute or two later someone brought out 2 plates. Some sausages then appeared so I took some eggs and sausages and attempted to eat. However, the eggs were the saltiest I'd ever tasted and inedible. The sausages weren't much better. I would expect at least a few more options for a hot breakfast beyond sausages and eggs in any case (eg bacon? beans? hash browns?). I then went to get some toast for my partner, but you have to toast your own bread. This means putting it into a machine and waiting a minute or two. This would be fine except that if you have a few people wanting toast there ends up with a queue; again, I wouldn't mind waiting a little, but when this is in the tiny self-service room there isn't really room for this kind of carry-on. The fresh fruit on offer consisted only of orange segments. Things were made worse by the fact that you have to clean up after yourself. Not an issue to me to do this, but although most people move their stuff and plates, they don't wipe down the tables. Therefore after an hour or two of people breakfasting the tables all looked really dirty and grimey. Also, the self-service trays all felt sticky underneath.

I'm not expecting an amazing breakfast at Holiday Inn, but I do expect a better standard than this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

We were sorry to see your feedback, regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Salford Quays.

I would like to mention first off that our Housekeeping department should not be servicing rooms that early and this is something that i will be addressing with them today.

In relation to breakfast, we are restricted to the types of food we can supply by Intercontinental Hotel group standards, which is a continental breakfast with a hot offering of sausage and scrambled eggs, these are two new additions to our breakfast menu, and we are unable to provide any further offerings.
As you are no doubt aware during large events our breakfast area can be quite busy, we currently have a purchasing plan in place to increase our number of cuttlery and crockery so further events like this will not happen.
We have trialled a variety fo toasters and the rotary toasters are the quickest at making the toast therefore clearing the queues a lot quicker than previously, we are also currently looking into relocating our toasters so the queues do not build up within the main buffet area.
In regards to the stocking and cleanliness this is an issue that i will be addressing with my team, as this is not an acceptable standard.

We thank you for your feedback, as only with this can we strive to make things better.
If you would like to discuss this further or any other issues you may have please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

We hope that this does not affect any future decision you may make on coming to stay here, and that you may return so we can show you an improvement in our service.

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Hotel Football Old Trafford
AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays
Copthorne Hotel Manchester

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays? Share your experiences!