“Functional and no frills!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed December 6, 2013

A work colleague booked this thinking it was The Holiday Inn next to Media City, this hotel is just across the quay. It was disappointing. Rooms were basic, small and had no redeeming features - pillows as flat and comfortable as a pancake. Staff at reception were helpful, but it's more of a self service hotel so they seemed quite thin on the ground. For one night it was bearable, the least time spent in here the better but I won't be rushing back in a hurry.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, a room overlooking the quay would make it more bearable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GM_Salford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear LondonHolidayBlues,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I will certainly take the points that you have raised on board, as we always look to improve our guests experience wherever possible.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Chose this hotel purely for location as had tickets for the Rugby at Old Trafford. Had a room on the 5th floor towards the back overlooking the Rowing club area. Good clean rooms but basic rooms (as expected for the price) but all in good order. Breakfast however was a disaster, it was a very busy morning not enough staff, no food left, no cutlery, no plates. We didn't even try to go for breakfast on the 2nd day.

Dear Nose2tail,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read about your experience at breakfast, as this is an area we are working on improving. I will certainly pass your comments on to the team and I will personally speak with the team who were working that weekend, to ensure that this does not happen again.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Clean, comfortable, very friendly and helpful staff, and somewhere I stay regularly when working in Manchester. Feel safe and welcome as a lone female business traveller. Only downside is that there is no on-site restaurant for lunch/evening meal. There is a vending machine and selection of sandwiches and snacks but a very good selection of chain restaurants nearby....especially near the Lowry (cross over the bridge and walk along the quayside). Good value for money compared to other similar hotels. Only complaint is that the coffee is terrible at breakfast! Fresh coffee would be a great addition to the menu.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the waterfront are the nicest.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Although this was paid for by someone else, we would not choose to stay here ourselves.

The rooms were the standard you would expect of this sort of establishment, although the bathroom had no catch or lock.
facilities in the room were fine, but tended to get more in cheaper guest houses.
Breakfast? Well buffet style which did not have a lot of choice, and hot wise just cheap sausages, baked beans and dried up scrambled egg, and you had to toast your own bread.
I must say that the reception staff were very helpful, and friendly and went out of there way to look after us

Room Tip: Choose a guest house. You get better service
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear varley13,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow us to apologize for the room accommodations you had and our breakfast selections was less than satisfactory. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here before and I was not impressed more than I was last time. Check in was painfully slow, lots of pressing of computer buttons but not really achieving anything too quickly. As a platinum priority member since 2009, check in's into hotels tends to be slick normally.
Reached the room and realized that reception hadn't given me the wifi code, down to reception, waited to be served and finally received the code - is it a case that the onus is on the guest to ask for wifi at check in. So much for exceeding ones level of service.
Ended up in room 116 on the first floor. On going to bed realized that it was a noisy room as it was immediately above the entrance where smokers gathered for their fixes. The light pollution by-passing the curtains was excessive, light from the signs etc. There are no movies available on the tv.and last but not least was I found out in the morning that the bathroom sink plug was broken - shaving proved to be difficult - so much for attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room overlooking the canal network
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GM_Salford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Caergeiliog

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us in November.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us due to the issues mentioned in your feedback. With the details you have provided me with, I will look into this further and relay your feedback to the staff to ensure that we continue to improve our levels of service.

I do hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, and I hope that if you were to stay with us again, you would notice some positive improvements.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I really hate leaving bad reviews but on this occasion, I can't leave one that's other than bad.

I stayed checked in last Thursday for 3 nights, the Holiday Inn at MediaCityUK was fully booked and work booked me the next best thing. Unfortunately, it fell far short of what I expected of other HIE hotels.

The room was nice enough, very basic but I was happy with that. I was disappointed with the bathroom as it felt dirty but I didn't grumble and just cleaned it up a bit and it was ok. The bed however felt old and lumpy and had unsettled sleep on it and also the air con unit was noisy and emanated a very dry heat and air which blew down as I slept.

The breakfast itself was an absolute joke, the Friday morning was ok as I was running late and I just grabbed a slice of toast and left, but the Saturday was an absolute debacle. I have never seen so much orange juice spilt on the floor in my life, the floor was also sticky and it was a scene of chaos. There were no plates, so another customer asked for more plates. There were no glasses so I used a mug for juice as the one girl that was on duty was away looking for plates. When I went back to get a cup of tea, there were no mugs, so I had to ask the girl to get me a mug. When I went to get some breakfast, there was only bread left but no pastries like croissants. The cooked breakfast was a joke, there were sausages and scrambled eggs but the beans were empty so I waited for the beans to come out but by that time, the rest of my food was cold so I gave up. They then ran out of milk so another customer had to ask for some. It was such a disaster that I gave up and left. On Sunday morning, I woke up for breakfast and a horrible feeling of dread, so to save the hassle and chaos, myself and my colleague walked to Frankie and Bennies and paid for Breakfast, neither of us could handle the headache that was the day before.

Next time I'm up working in MediaCityUK, I'm going to recommend I'm not booked into the HIE, I think I rather stay in Manchester City Centre, or the Premier Inn nearby if I can't get in the HI. A colleague stayed at the Premier Inn and said it was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kat_Orr
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, and was particularly disappointed to read of your experience on Saturday morning’s breakfast. I would like to apologise for this and I will personally pass your feedback on to the team who were on that morning, so that we can look to improve our service.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

For a hotel in the budget range this was excellent. Managed to park right outside and only £3 a night the parking was much cheaper than other hotels I had looked at. All the reception staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful. There was a bar, a vending area and a Starbucks machine which was a convenience although there are plenty places to eat within walking distance. the room was comfortable and the décor was "modern hotel" but stylish and most importantly clean.
breakfast was included in the price and was buffet style/self service. It was perfectly adequate, after all I didn't choose the hotel for the food!
We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a great view from the 5th floor!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays
Hotel Football Old Trafford
AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays
Copthorne Hotel Manchester

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays? Share your experiences!