“Lovely Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on the 11 th of April, I had requested a low floor near the lift as my friend and I are both disabled, when we arrived at the hotel the receptionist changed our room to a second floor one with a shower which was good for both m and my friend, the staff could not do enough for us, beakfast was free and very good, we were offered help to get our breakfast as it was self service, I would reccomend this hotel to any one who is disabled, the view over the quay is lovely

Room Tip: ask for a low floor overlooking the quay
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Mark T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments concerning our Holiday Inn Express Manchester Salford Quays.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and that our Guest Services Team were able to satisfy your room requirements on arrival.

Our Guest Services Team strives to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable stay and from your comments I can see our team excelled in making you feel welcome and comfortable.
Breakfast is a main priority for us at the Holiday Inn Express, and we are grateful for your positive comments concerning our complimentary Express Breakfast.

May I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Manchester.

Kind Regards,
Mark Thompson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed April 13, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express is well situated in Salford Quays. Pretty area for strolling along the Quays (pronounced "keys") Close to the Lowry Centre which has shops, restaurants and a movie cinema. About a 5 minute walk to the metro station to catch the train into downtown Manchester and about 20-25 minute walk to Old Trafford football grounds.

Check in was quick. We had a room on the 1st floor, nice view of Old Trafford, Manchester United's home ground. Room was clean, though a little small. Window opened to let in fresh air which was nice.

All the staff we encountered during our 4 night stay except for 1 were courteous but not overly friendly or helpful. There were even a couple of staff members that seemed bothered with our questions.

The beds in our room were honestly the worst I have ever slept on in my travels. You could totally feel the springs through the mattress. Not a good night sleep. Even my teenage son, and we know teens can sleep pretty much anywhere, found the beds horrible. This is NOT a soundproof hotel. You can clearly hear guests walking/talking in the halls and through the walls. If you are a light sleeper this is not a great place to get a restful night's sleep.

Ice machine didn't work the whole time we were there, though you could get ice from the bar if needed. Breakfast was fair. Very few hot choices, toast, one pastry choice, cereal, some yogurt (though one morning they were out and we weren't late) juice (tasted like Tang - not real orange juice) and coffee machines where you push a button, very mediocre. It was adequate but certainly not up to the standards of other Holiday Inns we have stayed at. They always seemed one step behind. Breakfast not fully set up at opening time, no serving utensils set out for the hot dishes etc...

Limited free WiFi, but only in the lobby/breakfast room. Bar had beer/wine for purchase. No restaurant on site, though they had frozen pizzas they could heat up for you available for purchase and a small fridge case of sandwiches, snacks etc...you could purchase in the lobby area. Microwave in the lobby for guest use. There was a Tesco (grocery/market) less than a 10 min walk away with any essentials you might need. We picked up some micro meals one night and just heated them in the lobby and then ate in our room.

Great location but I wouldn't stay again due to the noise factor, the horrible beds and the lackluster staff.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the front entrance - good view of Old Trafford but not quiet!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

As you have stated we are rather lucky on our location on Salford Quays and being able to offer to our guests the option of either an Old Trafford (Manchester United Football Club) or Quay view room is always an option, which I can see you had one of Old Trafford which being a football supporter I can see that you enjoyed.

I am sorry to learn that you felt that our beds where uncomfortable during your stay, something that as the Holiday Inn Express we always have as a high priority and we have recently within the last 12 months had a refurbishment of our beds within our rooms.

Within the Holiday Inn Express we have certain standards concerning our breakfast and also which items we are allowed to place on the menu, this is strictly controlled not by the hotel but by our parent company Intercontinental Hotel Group. However your comments have been passed over to our Head Office and also our in-house breakfast focus team who will ensure that your comments are acted upon should we be able to change the menus.

WIFI access within the Holiday Inn Express is something that we pride ourselves on as a lot of hotels not only within the area but also around the United Kingdom, charge for this service. Therefore we offer as an added benefit to staying with us, a Free WIFI service within our Great Room. Within the Hotel bedrooms this is chargeable however most of our guests prefer the Great Room Access due to this being complimentary.

I am also sorry to read that during your stay that you had experienced noise problems, this is something that we as a hotel are unable to control due to different Patrons returning at different times. Our Night Services Team always endeavours to ensure that guests returning in the early hours are reminded that people are asleep, however I can appreciate that as a light sleeper that you have been disturbed, which on behalf of the hotel team we would like to apologise to you.

However I hope that the situations that arouse during your stay will not put you off staying with us again, and should you wish to stay please feel free to contact me directly where I will be able to ensure you are placed in a quieter part of the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review concerning our hotel at Holiday Inn Express Manchester Salford Quays.

Kind Regards,
Mark Thompson

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here for business for one night. The room was spacious and clean, and the location was excellent. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Would certainly return to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
edwarddavies, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are delighted to hear that everything was ok with your stay, and that we met with your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express for two nights while I was in Salford Quays for work. I have stayed in the area several times before for work, but never in Holiday Inn Express so thought I'd give it a try. I probably won't be staying there again.
For the price, which was more than other places (i.e. PremierInn) I have stayed in at Salford Quays, it wasn't a great value. It didn't offer anything special. The room was average, I waited an age at the bar for a glass of wine and in fact the Holiday Inn doesn't even serve an evening meal! The breakfast was unimpressive as well. I felt like I was in a house share or university cafeteria...pick up my tray, try to find a glass and some cutlery, wait in a queue for my coffee (again, not even good coffee), then another queue for my toast, etc etc.
It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't good compared to other nearby places.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not outstanding.

We apologise that you had to wait at the bar, as our staff do cover both reception and bar, it may have been due to a busy reception, but our staff do get to the bar as quick as they can on these occasions.

As a Holiday Inn Express we are guided by brand standards, part of this is that we are not allowed to serve evening meals, however there are a number of restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel. This is also the same in regards to breakfast we must offer a buffet style breakfast and do not offer table service.

Once again we apologise that we did not meet with your expectations.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Giving a talk at a conference I needed somewhere to stay overnight. I select the Holiday Inn Express randomly and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, its situation on the Quays and the service. Breakfast was exceptional and for an evening meal it was a short walk across the Quays to the Beefeater. Surprisingly the night was quiet. I will definitely use this hotel again if I need something in that area.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your review posted above.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay hear. As mentioned there are a couple of restaurants all within walking distance of the hotel, and as a guest here we do provide discounts at a couple of them.

Once again thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Good location - interesting area - friendly reception - quiet room - comfy bed - nice room & bathroom reasonable breakfast - easy to get to Manchester city centre by tram - what more can you reasonably want. Will stay there again

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your review posted above, we are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

We are also pleased to hear that you found our location convenient for travelling within the Manchester area.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed there on business for 1 night and was a very good stay. Free car parking was a bonus. Views overlooking the Quay. The tram into the City Centre was 5 minutes walk away.
Breakfast was good, normal continental with lots of choice.
I will definately stay there again when I'm up that way on business

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for your review posted above.

We are pleased to read that everything during your stay met to your satisfaction.