“Nasty, dirty hotel”

Ranked #9 of 9 Salford B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Nasty, dirty hotel”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This hotel was easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Infact, it is very misleading even calling itself a 'hotel' This was not a hotel, more like a youth hostel. A very un-clean youth hostel at that!! There was some kind of grease on all the door handles and the floor boards felt like they might crumble away under your feet at any moment. As for the room itself, this was just awful!! We had a triple en-suite room. Which had a double bed and a single bed. Both unbelievable uncomfortable. However, at least the sheets seemed clean! Our first night here wasn't all so bad. We had been out late drinking so wasn't too fussed to come back here to sleep off our hangover! However, Our second night was a completely different story..
We returned after a days shopping and a nice meal to discover that our room was covered in flies!! We grabbed our stuff together and got the hell out of there! We tried to find the manager, (who to be fair to him, did seem like such a nice man) however, he was nowhere to be seen so we couldn't complain!

As for the area of Salford...please do not stay here! Especially if you are a group of young women travelling alone. My two friends and I didn't feel safe here at all and at times we were extremely scared! This is not at all a nice area of Manchester, which is a shame as the Trafford centre, Printworks and all other attractions are so close by.

Overall I would most certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone! DON'T DO IT!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank summerdream07

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
london
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I wanted to have a word with the hotel owner about the hotel maintenance/general cleaning of the room on my checkout, unfortunately he was not about i had to call him on my mobile and he said to leave the key on his table which is not a problem to me anyway. the hotel is good value for money i got double room ensuite for £20 per night, room been recently painted i think, but i had to keep my eyes away from the back of the bed throughout my stay because all manner of cobwebs and what have have you was there. Also the toilet seat was dirty with old pupu on it. I will recommend a good thorough cleaning of each room from dusting,use of proper air freshner not the one that gives me ciggerete smell e.t.c to make the it a perfect hotel. overall i will give 6/10 for the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rrutty04
UK
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We went here on a Saturday for my hen night, and we knew that for £40 a room for 3 people it wasnt exactly gonna be the lap of luxury! But we didn't expect Fawlty Towers part 2. We literally laughed every moment we were there, and were half expecting jeremy beadle to pop out the closet any second.

Because there were 17 of us we got one half of the hotel all to ourselves, which suited us fine as we could make as much noise as we wanted without disturbing other guests. The owners were brilliant, were cracking away with us and even gave us bottles of beer to start our night (they were sealed!!). The eldest guy also phoned us a taxi and was very funny, he had us all in stitches, we really couldnt fault the customer service!

The main problems were that the hotel stank of curry, and were very warm on the night time and the windows dont open very far. Also the dirt in the bathroom, especially on the toilet, was disgusting. The floors and beds however were immaculate and we were given plenty of towels. There were scuffs on the walls but for around £13 each I really couldnt care less, its not as if we'd be eating of them! What made us laugh is that the hotel seemed to be on a slant, the floors were uneven, which made water trickle out the shower. Also everything we touched seemed to fall apart in our hands, including the curtains in room one!! The toilets also made funny 'mooing' noises, like there was a cow stuffed down them, which was highly amusing.

The location was great, just a fiver to the printworks, very safe despite the area! Also all the bathrooms, although a bit grubby, were modern and everything worked well.

If you are a fussy sort of person dont stay in this hotel. My friends and I took it with a pinch of salt and saw the funny side of staying there. But like I say for £40 per 3 people dont expect the Hilton! It was fine for us and I would stay again if everywhere else was too dear. We got away with a lot, things that other hotels wouldnt let you get away with - running around at 3am, playing music, and being quite loud (as expecte don hen nights).

If you are a group of friends going out in Manchester this place is ideal, but dont take your family or other half if you are expecting a nice weekend away!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Charlotte_720
Stirling, Scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Stayed that the White Lodge hotel for two night. Was greeted by a man who didn't know we were coming and said we had no room booked. He then checked his book and we were on it, no apology. Asked us to pay before we even got out of the hall way (if i hadn't I would have taken my bag back to the car and drove away!!) Room was disgusting, bed was clean but that was about it. In salford - enough said, was a bit rough.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NatsPats2812
Newcastle
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Friendly owner, but very basic room, loose wiring, and, worst of all, the door lock did not work. On the plus side it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The area is a bit rough.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank thefretfulporpentine
middx
Reviewed July 21, 2009

staff were great but the room was not!! Our shower didnt work,the t.v. didnt work and it was all a bit run down.Its one saving grace was that the bed was clean and very comfy.
It is very near to Manchester and all amenities

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank middxmum
Portsmouth
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We booked this hotel for £20 per room per night and it couldn't have been more perfect for us. We had 3 rooms for 7 girls on a weekend away for my friends birthday and for £20 a night we didn't expect much. The owner of the hotel was amazing. As there was 7 of us, he let us have the run of the bottom floor and even use the kitchen!! It's about a 2 minute taxi drive from the bars/clubs and about a 10 minute car drive to the main shops. I would say this is more of a place to go with friends and not really for couples. Amazing value for money!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
Park View Residence
Hello Hotel Manchester
Hello Hotel Manchester
#1 of 2 in Swinton
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays

Been to The White Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!