“Not bad”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyde
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Seen some other reviews stating how awful this hotel is, and have to disagree. Staff were friendly and accommodating, and inside the place was clean and tidy. The bar generally gets very busy at nighttime but it's placed away from the rooms so you won't be disturbed if you go to bed early.
That said, the rooms could do with a bit of modernising, and there wasn't a designated place outside for smokers, meaning they would congregate outside the main door, resulting in cigarette butts all over the place.
The free wifi is a bit slow, too, just in case you need to know about this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here a week ago and from first arriving we wished we hadn't booked here.

We checked in and were told that the restaurant was going to be shut (not that this was made clear on the website) that evening due to a function that was on in there and children were not allowed in. Not very good when half the reason we booked this hotel for was the restaurant.

We ate that night in the Victory bar off the restaurant menu and the waiter James couldn't have been nicer :-)

We then went to bed and the bed that the children were on was ridiculous, it was a sofa bed that went up at the end and with it having a mattress on it no thicker than 2cm the children could feel all the metal bars underneath.

Our room was 206 and it is so out of the way, its off a corridor and down some stairs totally away from everyone else, it's just you and the room next to you.

At around 1am we were woken up by the room next-door to us, they were loud and obnoxious, after half an hour or so had past I rang down to reception and asked them to take care of the matter, I was told "there is nothing we can do as they are the bride and groom" I could not believe that that's what the man on reception had said. Actually staying in what was supposed to be a family room was 3 adults, very strange on a wedding night.

After another half hour or so all the commotion of our neighbours woke my children. I then decided enough was enough so I rang reception again, this time I was told that the matter would be resolved. Needless to say it wasn't. I had made so many calls about the people and was told lies each time by reception.

One thing led to another and the other guests actually threatened me, my family and the hotel staff with violence, the man on reception said he was going to ring the police and that we should stay in our room, at this point it was about 4am.

At about 04:30 I rang and asked what was going on and was told that they hadn't rang the police and if we wanted they would move OUR room, which was me, my Mother and my two children aged 12 and 9 into another room. Obviously nobody in their right mind is going to wander around a hotel at 04:30 with two children!!

We stayed in our room and managed to get the girls to sleep for an hour or so. We were all scared to death and the hotel did nothing at all to help us or make us feel safe during the night.

In the morning when I managed to make it out of the room without the groom seeing me I went to reception and luckily it was not the two men on duty that had been during the night. The lady that was on went above and beyond to apologise and try to make a mends, she was really really nice.

Needless to say we will NEVER be staying here again, especially as the groom said himself that he lives just down the road, who knows when he would be in there!!

Also, don't be fooled by the offers and entertainment programmes that are advertised in house, half of them don't run any more but they still use all the literature with them on.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay, don't stay in 205 or 206 with children, it's not safe how far away...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Emily O, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Hyde, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us at the Village Hotel Hyde. Your willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.

I am sorry you felt your stay with us wasn’t up to 100% satisfaction I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments and they are being followed up by each department manager.

The De Vere Group is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organisation, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Please can i ask that you contact me on the details below and we can try to come to a resolution to restore your faith in our brand.

Kind Regards

Emily O'Hara

Marketing Media Executive

Ashton and Hyde Village Hotels

Mobile: 07827902356

Travelers are raving about these Hyde hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Very old and dated hotel - the rooms are badly in need of some upgrading e.g. the mattress is an old spring type with the springs not so kindly poking into various parts of your anatomy - not the best if you actually fancy a sleep.
The staff - in particular the humourless, grumpy Scottish recepionist give you the couldn't care less impression and I felt as though I was an inconvienence to them.
The food is not the best either - I had the eggs benedict for a starter which was stone cold and everything about the dish apart from the pre-made sauce was over-cooked, dry, or burnt.
There is a Village hotel not too far from here in Ashton - stay there - you will thank me for that bit of advice - trust me.
But if you can't get in there do yourslef a favour book a Premier Inn instead of this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LIVERPOOL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visited tis hotel recently for a 60s & 70s night. Was expecting a tribute band etc but just turned out to be a disco. This was not the Hotels fault I should have read the small print .Any way had a nice night Hotel was clean the food was very nice especially on the evening. Could not fault the breakfast . Staff where well organised on the evening and served the meals very quick ensuring that the food was hot and on time no waiting around for the next course The breakfast was very nice and plenty available. All the staff where very friendly and pleasant and a credit to the Hotel.
Would I stay here again why not I enjoyed my evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a hen wkend great value used pool and spa facilities recommend back massage . Food in the restaurant small portions but nice , spoilt for choice for breakfast full cooked cereals etc . It's bout 15 mins for Manchester city centre

• Stayed June 2013
Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Excellent weekend overall - food, service and staff in the Restaurant was really good. Both the breakfast and early dinner choice could not be faulted. The Hotel overall is now a bit dated but the double room was clean with good size bathroom and also the pool, sauna were great on the Friday afternoon but over the weekend it was open for people to try and therefore overcrowded. The location is well signposted from the M67 but is in a residential area so there are no options for eating or drinking out without using a car or public service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having been here before and it was "OK"...me and my partner thought we would have a nice lunch on our day off ..but sadly it wasn't to be.

The staff insist on not taking a food order one microsecond before 12 noon and having ordered drinks we waited over 20 minutes for them ...this was an EMPTY pub at this time.
Once we got the drinks, one of them wasn't as we asked for and we were told that the wine was out of stock and so they "substituted" ...It would have been nice to have been asked!

When ordering the meals, the staff seemed unable to use the EPOS system and (bearing in mind) the restaurant prides itself on the Vegetarian and Healthy options ..knew very little about these.
Then the meal arrived wrong, we told the waitress this and 10 minutes later she came over to say we were not charged for it anyway, but if we wanted to eat it ...we could pay for it ....This was a green salad, it wasn't our mistake and we got no apology or even offered to keep it for free. I mean this was a £27 lunch bill as it was ...just poor, poor service. We will not be back!

Oh and by the way,...the carpark is an absolute nightmare ...If you have a 4 x 4 with a high roofrack or van, be very careful as the exit is via a low concrete opening...the entrance is PLENTY wide enough to accommodate 2 way traffic, but sadly they have (for some unknown reason) designated the car park as some lexiconic, one way maze affair with conflicting arrows

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyde
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Barton Villa
Barton Villa
#1 of 1 in Dukinfield
Premier Inn Manchester (Denton) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Hyde? Share your experiences!