“End to End Shambles!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyde
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“End to End Shambles!!”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

As a family, we had stayed at the Village Hyde around 4 years ago. We remember it being a very nice hotel, friendly staff and well maintained rooms. That was 4 years ago!!

We had been trying to bargain with the central reservations to get a better price for our last minute stay at this hotel and managed to luck out when we phoned the hotel ahead of Central reservations opening. We managed to get a cheaper rate directly with the hotel for a 3 night stay in a Family Room. We also managed to secure a free upgrade to the Junior Suite (which we had stayed in before) which we were really looking forward to.

After our 5 and a half hour trip down from Edinburgh we arrived to be greeted by a cheery face at the reception who welcomed us, took our details and gave us our room key. They failed to inform us of the dinner or breakfast arrangements or anything else. We walked to our room (which was down stairs - no idea if there was a lift or anything else), the corridor leading to our room was dinghy! and smelled a little bit like mouldy socks.

Upon entering our room (Room 32 for info), the memories of 4 years earlier were brought back and we instantly began to pick up on the problems compared to our initial stay. The room hadn't been cleaned properly (cob webs in the corner of rooms), bathroom was unclean (shower head was disgusting), there used to be a TV in the "living" area of the room which was no longer there (although the swivel stand still remained), wallpaper was peeling away and a few other things to moan about. Our TV (the one in the bedroom) had a remote control which barely worked due to lack of battery power (i assume) and most of the channels were seemingly not tuned in correctly or just had bad reception!! The double sofa bed in the living area, which was meant to be for the kids to sleep on, was abit of a hazard. If you don't stuff pillows down the sides then there is a potential risk of someone getting an arm stuck or even worse losing a few fingers due to the mechanisms down there. On top of this the bed sloped in the middle (middle seemed higher than the head or foot of the sofa bed) which made for a very uncomfortable sleep!

We chose to take the kids out to eat with the promise of taking them back for a swim after. Hotel's site showed that kids could swim on a Sunday until 7pm. Kids were really looking forward to this. We rushed our meal and headed back to the hotel, got the kids dressed for swimming and walked through the hotel past the reception to the leisure area. This was when we were told that kids cannot swim after 6pm on a sunday!!! Kids were clearly disappointed and we were both seriously annoyed. Raised our annoyance and looked to speak to a manager. After dealing with one of the duty managers, she called the General Manager who allowed the kids to swim in the pool (by this point well after 7pm and this is the "members" time in the pool - numerous dirty looks as if telling us we shouldn't be anywhere near the pool with children!!.) We had also been informed that there are swimming time cards to show the restricted times... however, this was not part of their welcome pack (they don't actually have a welcome pack by the way!!) and was not in their rooms - so not entirely sure how you're meant to know about these times if they differ from the website - I have to say that we were made to feel a little bit silly for believing their website times!!

Breakfast on morning 1 was also pretty poor. There was rice krispies available for the kids. However, they were hidden in a room so you didn't actually know they were ever there! We only knew as we asked if there was any other kids cereals - no weetabix (although our complaint about this got weetabix bought in specially for the remaining 2 days we were there). Hot food was luke warm, fruit bowl was poorly stocked, Orange Juice was bitter and no yoghurts (other than the natural yoghurt in a bowl for you to spoon into a dish!).

We complained about our room prior to heading to Alton Towers for the day. During our day out we were contacted and offered the "Bridal Suite" which was regarded as their best room and was available for the rest of our stay. We accepted this and were looking forward to our Jacuzzi which we were told was in the room!! Once back at the hotel, we packed up our things (no assistance offered by the hotel staff) and trundled off to our new room (which was down 2 flights of stairs now! without a lift!!). This room was right at the back of the swimming pool - we only knew that as the stench of chlorine was immense. Wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the corridors down the stairs.

We entered the "Bridal Suite" (room 236). Very large room indeed - 1 Double bed, 1 single sofa bed with another single pull out bed below that - ideal for our family of 4. However, this room hadn't been too well cleaned either. There was still some form of confetti stuff under the sofa bed for instance. the Jacuzzi in the room was actually no more than a corner bath tub with jacuzzi functions. Kids loved that though. The Jacuzzi did have a tendancy to turn itself on when nobody was in the bathroom though (ghosts perhaps!). The shower down fell apart upon first touch (I had to put it back together again) and the bath panel was so poorly sealed that it popped open a number of times during our stay. Now when I go for a bath I usually expect to have HOT running water!! If you stay here, don't expect it. Luke Warm was the order of the day and if it wasn't for the kids, nobody would have went into it!! You only got a hot shower when you turned the shower onto Maximum pressure and up to the 45 degree setting!!

During our stay in the room, we contacted reception to ask them if we could have some water for the room. They merely informd us that we could buy bottled water or take a walk to the bar and get a jug of tap water from there!! Hmm... customer service clearly lacking... we then explained that we left our bottled water in our old room by mistake - they did go and get it for us which was nice but I got the feeling when he dropped it off that I had made his walk across hot coals to deliver it!!

Breakfasts on Morning 2 and 3 weren't much better either - did have weetabix though! Day 2 - The lights went out for around 10 minutes in the restaurant area only (except for 1 table) - we were not offered an apology or anything. Day 3 - the breakfast area stank like someone had been sick! No offer to allow us to eat our breakfast in the bar or anything else... we got the impression that we just had to deal with it.

All in all a very disappointing stay and for the money that they like to charge for the bigger rooms they really should be making more of an effort.

We have officially ruled this as the worst hotel we have ever stayed at and will not be venturing back.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank scott C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The area the hotel is in seems to be a trading estate, reception is clean enough but as you walk into the no smoking room the first thing you notice is the strong smell of smoke. The cleaners must use pledge park drive air fresheners. I dropped my case off and headed for the bar, one pint at £4.50 I decided that was enough. I ordered t-bone steak off the room service menu with veg and boiled spuds. I cant fault the steak but the veg must have made a run for the exit....if work wasnt paying for the room I doubt id use the Village again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Nailsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Sadly the experience has not been great. We would not have chosen this hotel, but we were here for a wedding. On arriving you have to encounter a blanket of smoker’s loitering in the doorway/entrance. Car park is large but there is now way of dropping off luggage as it is a one-way system and if you stop you block the entrance, plus the car park is always full of non residence using the Gym and pool. Rooms are dated, and can be noisy, hot and airless, although they do provide electric fans, but the beds are comfortable. Location is ok if you want to visit Manchester city centre as the train is only a 4 minute walk away, but they do not run on a Sunday. Not an ideal place for a romantic weekend. Staffs are friendly enough and try hard. Breakfast is good, but don't rely on getting a good evening meal as the menu is limited and it wouldn’t win Master Chef. Seating in the dining room is to be desired, be warned.

Room Tip: make sure you are not in rooms 2, 4, or 6, and the equivilant rooms above or below these rooms as th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bristol
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This hotel is nice enough but my stay was spoilt by lots of mistakes and really poor customer service.

The first mistake was giving me a room aleady occupied...meaning I woke up a couple who were not impressed!

The room was ok but when I opened the window there was a very noisy generator right outside meaning I had to sleep in a hot stuffy room with the window closed.

In the morning, the shower was broken so I tried to have a bath only to discover the soap dispenser was empty. At breakfast, I had to wait 15 minutes to be seated because they were too busy. When I complained that people behind me were being seated before me, staff were just rude and seemed irritated to have to speak to me.

Any of these things in isolation is ok but all together made for a poor stay....my advice is avoid this place and look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011

Travelers are raving about these Hyde hotels

Surrey
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Hotel with friendly nice staff,leisure club was good and food okay. Rooms were a let down ,my colleague changed his room and mind was okay at best. I`ve stayed at nicer village hotels to be honest.
Distrubed sleep by crowd returning to their rooms in the early hours(can`t blame hotel unless from downstairs bar!) but room was really hot so not a good night sleep.
I will look else where on the village list if I am in this area again to be honest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Southampton
Reviewed August 23, 2011

After a particularly poor experience with the Travelodge at Trafford in Manchester we decided to book the Village Hotel and Leisure Club, what a revelation!
We were made welcome the moment we stepped in the lobby, even though it was
11.00 pm, our room was sorted and we were given all the information we needed.
The room itself was well appointed, quiet and clean, and we had a good nights sleep.
In the morning we went along to breakfast and although it was the usual buffet style meal, the food was good and plentiful, the staff helpful and attentive. Also I believe they do very food restaurant meals in the evenings. We only stayed 2 nights but with a large swimming pool that my wife made use of, and a spa, you could spend a week or more there quite comfortably!
Also the room rates were very reasonable, for the same price as Travelodge we had the good breakfast, and a comfortable quiet room. So if your ever needing a hotel to stay in East Manchester, my wife and I can really recommend the Village Hotel & Leisure Club, Hyde.

Room Tip: Our room backed on to the hotel car park, but was still very quiet
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kent England
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I spend around 16 weeks a year using business hotels, the Hyde Village is probably one of the worst I have experienced. I won't return nor will any of my business associates.

On arrival my “non-smoking” room reeked of stale cigarette smoke, the decor is dated and down at heel and the low voltage lighting is dull and depressing. It’s expensive and the over-powering stench of chlorine from the leisure centre pool pervades every corner of the building.

The restaurant would be an ideal project for Gordon Ramsay although I suspect even he may struggle. Over several evenings I experienced long waits for my meal, even though the restaurant was half empty (45 minutes was the record so I was glad I had a book to pass the time). Side orders arrived six or seven minutes after the main course, drinks that were ordered never arrived (twice) but had efficiently appeared on the bill. When the food finally arrives it’s frankly terribly mediocre.

In the bar tables are not cleaned very often or cleared regularly of used glasses after customers leave.

The buffet breakfast languishes under warming lights until it’s dried out and grim.

The hotel seems to capitalise on the fact that in the surrounding environs there is a distinct lack of competition in terms of other hotels and eateries.

There were a couple of good points, free wi-fi and my assignment ended early so I didn’t have to stay the full week!

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyde
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Barton Villa
Barton Villa
#1 of 1 in Dukinfield
Premier Inn Manchester (Denton) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Hyde? Share your experiences!