“Conference room”

Dr Jenner's House, Museum and Garden
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Berkeley
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Situated in the historic market town of Berkeley, The Chantry is the striking Grade II* listed house where Edward Jenner lived for 38 years until his death in 1823. This is the house from which he pioneered vaccination against smallpox and it is now a museum celebrating his life and legacy. Discover how his work here eventually led to the eradication of smallpox and find out more about his other achievements before relaxing, as Jenner did, in an acre of peaceful gardens.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Conference room”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have recently delivered a workshop to s group of Arts and Cultural organisation's educational officers at Dr Jenner's House. This venue was absolutly superb. The setting is stunning and it added so much value to the experience of our delegates. The venue also gave our delegates the opportunity to visit the museum free of charge as guests to their venue. The staff were exptremely helpful and catering recieved a huge 10/10 from the group I was working with. I arrived early and the room we were in was set up really well with all equipment working. Our group thoroughly enjoyed the experience of attending a workshop at this venue! I would recommend anybody looking to run a workshop style event to consider Dr Jenner's House. The ease of location for delegates just minutes from the M5 was excellent.

Thank you Dr Jenner's House for a very enjoyable day.

Visited October 2013

Haresfield, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went on Heritage Open Day.
Owned by a Trust so probably a bit short of cash. Its focus is unique, and the exhibits are fascinating, as other reviewers have commented it presumes a decent reading speed but we have no problem with that, I'd say it was laid out to appeal to the intelligent.
Nice garden, the adjacent church is also worth visiting.
Which brings me to the house... the paint on the external woodwork is peeling, neglected. I mentioned this to a volunteer, who referred to the cost, and the paperwork due to it being GII* listed, and scaffolding, and scheduling.... it doesn't need scaffolding or paperwork to paint the ground floor, it just needs someone to do it. But much of the woodwork has been left so long that the putty has perished and it now requires a lot of skilled attention. Seems to be a lack of practical knowledge or perhaps a shortage of volunteers with dirty-hands skills, or perhaps there's a bureaucrat making problems where there are none, or were none ten years ago which looks like the last time it was painted...... but then it is run by volunteers, so perhaps unfair to criticise. OTOH speaking as the owner of a labour-intensive GII building, I think it deserves better maintenance.
Anyway, it's worth a visit.
And decent cakes in the café.
Bring a paint brush.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Interesting and informative. Learned information I didn't knnow on our visit. The place is definately worth a visit if in the area.

Visited October 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Interesting and eye opening”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I went to this place as somewhere to visit for our anniversary. I was very surprised, we spent a lot longer there than I thought we would. We both found it very informative about a subject that I think our children should be taught more about at school. Although the museum is in his house I feel that it could do with some updating to make the displays a little more interesting. There is an awful lot of information in short sections that would be quite boring for young ones as it takes a lot of reading. Having said that I now feel that I know a lot more about Edward Jenner than I did before. It is quite nice to find out about his other interests too - such as hot air ballooning! I'm glad that there is such a place to honour a man that had such a profound influence on modern medicine and who is literally responsible for saving billions of peoples lives.

1 Thank tracyl295
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A truly exciting area!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our visit was fantastic due to the highly interesting objects that we saw in the cabinets in the different rooms, such as trilobites and letters to and from Edward Jenner. I highly recommend the Edward Jenner Museum to families with teenage children due to the high amounts of information that would be recognized by children with a higher level of science. However there are trails that children can follow whilst learning about Edward Jenner. Overall I enjoyed the museum and will visit often!