“Lunch at the Prince of Wales”

Bay Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We happened to be passing whilst looking for a Nursing Home where our friend is a resident and stopped for a quick lunch. We were met in reception by the owner, who proved to be very friendly and "chatty". We ordered their "two for a tenner lunch" which proved to be very good value. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review, it was nice meeting you both.

There are newer reviews for Bay Prince of Wales Hotel

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a 5 day break with Shearings, staying at The Prince of Wales Hotel, Berkeley. Having read some reviews before we went, I was a bit apprehensive, but didn't say anything to my partner. I must say I was pleasantly surprised, and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We couldn't fault any of the meals we had, and we found the portions were sufficient. A few people complained about the toast being cold. Well that suited me, as I prefer it like that, but I'm sure if they'd asked for some warm toast they would have been given it, as the staff were very accommodating, and friendly.. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment each night, especially Ian Lockyer, who was a brilliant musician. Our bedroom was nice and clean, with plenty of hot water, and we've never slept in more comfortable beds in a hotel before. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. I can't end this review without mentioning our coach driver, Alan, for the 5 days we were there. He was brilliant. On our way from Stretton to our hotel, instead of stopping at a Service station for lunch, he took us to Tewkesbury, where he let us have a 2 hour stay for lunch and a look round, and he was most informative when he took us on our included excursions. The hotel is situated on the roadside, and there isn't anywhere to go for a wander, but we had no need for this as we were out every day on an excursion. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want comfortable beds, ask for Room 17
1  Thank Anne T
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for your kind review, it was so nice to read and I will certainly pass on your comments to all concerned. By your response I hope it shows that it is a team effort, with all departments working together to give you a lovely holiday I am also pleased you werent 'put off' by any other comments and came here to find out for yourselves just what we have to offer.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

the hotel was fine the bed rooms were old fashioned looked liked they had not been touched from the 1980s .the food was fine if you like child portions as for the entertainment i have spent a better night with a tooth ache very karaoke in fact i think karaoke singers could have done better.back to the meals we had a childs portion when we had finished and walked through to recepion to find the hotel manager with the same meal but of giant proportions not very good as we were all still hungy after our lunch not very professional i don't think mrs would never stay there again you need a car as there is nothing around the hotel for miles unles you want to get knocked over as you lest the car park as the motorway was straght outside the building.

Room Tip: not there sorry
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Walter L

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review but I find it very difficult as your comments are not only inaccuracte but untrue, 1) rooms - all the bedrooms were re-furbished roughly 6 years ago and we are now in the process of re-furbishing again, so not 1980 decor but 2008. 2) Food - 'child portions' is in fact what I the general manager generally eat and certainly not 'giant portions' but I have to say I rarely eat on duty so I am not sure who you were observing, also the meals served to guests staying here are dinner and not lunch and if the protions are considered small for some, it can be rectified if we are told at the time. 3) The 'motorway' is 2 miles away across several fields so again im not sure what you were referring to. 4) Entertainers - as the majority of our guests tell us on this site and our own comment cards they love our entertainers, they are all professionals and to call them Karaoke is an insult. I accept you & your wife did not enjoy your stay here and I am sorry about that but I dont feel we could have done anything different to please you.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We didn't realise that Bay Hotels were mainly for the older generation, we aren't teenagers but felt awkward! The outside of the hotel looked awful, however the reception and lounge areas were modern and tidy. However the rest of the hotel was tired and shabby. Our room was large and had everything in it we needed, just needed updating.
Breakfast was good, dinner was ok there just wasn't enough of it, especially veg. Bar prices were normal. Location wasn't great, just on the side of a main road, nowhere else to go in the evenings unless you drove a couple of miles into Berkeley village, so had to stay at hotel. Entertainment wasn't good either, even the staff shut the door into the entertainment room, it was that awful.
On the plus side the staff were very friendly and efficient, especially the dining staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review, I will pass on your compliments to the staff, I am sorry you felt 'awkward' due to your age but we are a holiday company aimed at the 50+ age group although we welcome guests of any age at the hotel. With regards to the door being closed to the entertainment room, this is done primarily for fire safety reasons and of course to reduce noise levels for guests wanting a quiet relaxing evening away from the entertainment, as with most things at the hotel the artists chosen are to suit our guests age range so may not suit all.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We chose this hotel as a base to visit many of the attraction within a short distance. Our allocated room overlooked the car park and as there were no net curtains, we felt a little exposed, so had to keep the curtains closed whilst in the room for some privacy. The room was clean with adequate facilities for making tea and coffee. The room had two single beds which were comfortable, however, we would have preferred a double, which I believe we requested when booking. Bathroom was of good size with a bath and shower, plenty of hot water. Meals were of excellent standard with several choices at each mealtime. Some reviews have stated that the portions are small. I beg to differ. We had more than enough, but if you are a big eater, I'm sure more would have been provided if requested. One small point. the fruit juices served at breakfast are served in too smaller glasses. You should let the guest serve themselves from the cereal table, as they do at other Bay Hotels. Easter Sunday there were Hot Cross Buns provided and each guest was given a Cadbury's Creme Egg, nice touch. All the staff we encountered were very helpful and dealt with any issues straight away. All in all our stay was a pleasant one and I would certainly consider another visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your kind review, it is always nice to be appreciated and I will ensure your comments are passed on to the relevant departments. Im not sure why your room didnt have a net curtain, it may have been removed to be washed as generally most downstairs rooms have them but had you let us know we would have recitifed it straight away. I take on board your thoughts regarding the restaurant but it is mainly due to space as it is a small room and can be quite dangerous with lots of guests milling around. Once again thank you for your response, we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Staff helpful, food good.'Gala' dinner consisted of normal meal with a small dish of tinned fruit served between soup and main.Entertainment every night of a good standard. Room comfortable and clean. Breakfast basic, toast cold every morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deeprest_13
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for your response, I would like to point out that we do not serve 'tinned fruit', what you had for your interim course was fresh pineapple and fresh melon. As with the previous review regarding the toast I would ask any guest to bring it to the attention of the waiting staff who will happily provide you with more. I will pass on your compliments to all involved.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We went to this hotel as a five day break but took our car. The hotel is in the middle of nowhee along side a busy road, but this was no problem for us. The exterior of the hotel in not very appealing but there is a large car park. The check in was swift and the hotel staff are very friendly full marks to them. Our room was on the ground floor as requested although we had to pay an extra £10 to ensure that we had one, surely in can be done on a first come first serve basis? The room was at the back of the hote, along the way the wallpaper and door frames had seen a lot of wear and tear. Our room was clean but I found the bed very hard. The food whilst there is a good choice the portions are rather small. The toast is made and then put under a hot light where it is left till its needed, this meant some days the toast was dry and hard. Again the dining room staff are very friendly and service was good. The gala dinner was just an extra course of melon, not what I would call a gala!
Overall this holiday was as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we are in the process of re-furbishing parts of the hotel but because we are busy all year round the corridors do get 'a lot of wear and tear'. I would ask any guest staying here to let the staff know if there is anything they are not happy with ie cold toast, it is done that way to prevent guests having to wait too long but if you find it is cold or hard it is not a problem for them to prepare some more.

Melanie Mann

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wotton-under-Edge

Been to Bay Prince of Wales Hotel? Share your experiences!