“Better than last year”

Bay Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just returned from another visit to The Bay Prince of Wales. This was our second New Year break and surpassed last year. Some of the staff had changed but the warm welcome and excellant party mood was of the highest quality. We were lucky enough to have the same rooms as before and immediately felt at home.My wife being a celiac presented no problems for the chef who checked daily to make sure the food was ok.Thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants value for money.

Room Tip: From what I saw all rooms are of the same quality
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Barry J
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for your review, its important to me to know that despite some staff changes you still received the same warm welcome you had on previous visits and that it was even better than last year, a great achievment for all of us here at the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a fantastic way to see in the new year! This was our 4th visit to this hotel. As always a very warm welcome from the manager Melanie and all of her fabulous team, Hotel is very cosy and warm, excellent variety of food, and great entertainment hosted by Clive Cope. We have already booked again for next New Year.

Annette and Karl Stringfellow
Somerset

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stringfellows

Thank you for your lovely review, as always its great to see you both and its fantastic to know that once again you thoroughly enjoyed your new year break with us and have re-booked for next year. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Before my visit I read some of the reviews which had been left by other visitors to the hotel.. I had prepared myself for a cold room, with no heating... MISTAKE my room was in fact very cosy and warm. The Hotel was clean, my only advise would be to update it a little but apart from that its great.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, I would stay at this Hotel again if in the area.

Room Tip: If you want internet rom 42 is the one for you.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Tracy1964
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - we look forward to welcoming you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had a lovely stay with family and friends from 30th nov - 3rd Dec, with national holidays, the staff were very good and always helpful, the only complaint i have is the entertainment room was quite cold and after been out all day in cold weather i didnt want to be sat in a cold room all night, on the saturday i left the room and went to my bedroom to have a hot drink, the bar area is also quite cool unless you are sat at the end were the log fire is and it was always the same people sat there blocking off the heat from the rest of the room All in all i enjoyed my stay, but maybe turn heating up in the bar and entertainment room

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ade58
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review, Im pleased you had a lovely stay and just sorry you found it a bit chilly in the evenings, the entertainment room is quite large and if empty all day it can take a while to warm up, We are always looking to improve things and appreciate feedback but I would advise any guest to please let a member of staff know if there is something you are not happy with so we have the opportunity to put it right wherever possible, we want everyone to have a great holiday and enjoy all of their time here.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' is certainly true in this instance. My husband and I found Bay Hotels on the internet and decided to try one of the five day breaks ofered. I must admit it was cheap as hotel prices go, so perhaps we should not have expected too much.

The information book in our room stated that there was free wi-fi, but this was impossible to use. After trying four different times and in different downstairs areas over two days, one of the reception staff told us that if the live-in staff had their i-phones on, or were using their laptops, this was why we could not get a signal. What a waste of time.

We arrived late on Monday afternoon and spent the Tuesday out and about. On the Wednesday the weather was atrocious and so we decided to stay in the hotel until after lunch. After about three hours of sitting in the cold - it seemed there was no heating anywhere we could find in the hotel, including our room - we decided we could not stay any longer. As far as we could see the heating came on for a short period of time in the morning and then again in the evening. I can understand that cutbacks have to be made in these difficult times, but we found this completely unacceptable with the temperatures dropping toward the end of November. At this point we decided to cut our losses and leave, not wanting to face another two days staying in a cold, uncomfortable hotel out of choice.

The evening meal was, although quite tasty, very sparce and many people around us could be heard to complain because the 'chef's special' had all gone when they arrived in the dining room, even after coming early because the same thing had happened the previous evening.

Two of the hotel staff (the Scottish bar man and one of the Receptionists. I don't know her name but she also called the bingo numbers in the evening) were really pleasant and most helpful, a real asset to the hotel, but unfortunately this did not make up for a dismal stay.

The evening entertainment, although we were only there for two evenings, was very enjoyable.

I don't think we will be staying at a Bay Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank retired35

Thankyou for sending in your comments, like you I am also disappointed, it is such a shame that you didnt report these things to myself whilst at the hotel as they could so easily have been rectified. I was working on the reception desk on the day you left and the impression you gave was that you were fed up with the weather (a large area around the hotel was flooded and people were having difficulties getting around that day) and not the heating. It is timed but as most of our guests go out during the day there is not normally an issue, it can be over ridden if needed and we will happily do this if asked to.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights, we had a family wedding in the area so this was very convenient. meals were nice not big, no wifi in the rooms and no freeview in our room, the others in our party did thought, staff very friendly. pleasant enough place. not very lively in the evening but as we were at a wedding the second night that was fine. we would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bigsutti
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Im glad you had a good stay and hope you enjoyed the wedding, thank you for taking the time to post a review as its good to get feedback from all our guests whether on holiday or visiting for a family occasion as yourselves.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We drove ourselves and met our friends who we have known for almost 50 years and now live at the other side of the country.
When we arrived on Friday afternoon we were welcomed by very friendly staff who made us feel we had known them before, the Manager was on duty and sat in the bar so she could hear new arrivals first impressions and improve if necessary, though our comments were all positive. We were very lucky as I think our room was upgraded but all the rooms were pretty good I believe, although a little 'tired' very clean and tidied and vacuumed daily ( my only criticism was that the net curtains needed a freshen up!).
The food was great for us, we found that three courses which were on offer were plenty for our appetites and if extra toast or anything else was requested we got it!
I hope we can go to Shearings Hotels again and will consider the Prince of Wales again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Liz J

Thank you so much for your review - wonderful value for money is a great heading along with your recommendation for other guests to visit us. We look forward to welcoming you again and the net curtains are being dealt with as I write.
(I was actually off duty when you arrived but what better way is there to reccommend our food than to eat it myself and yes it is a great way to get feed back when incognito!!)

Melanie Mann

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Travelodge Stonehouse
Days Inn Michaelwood M5
Days Inn Michaelwood M5
#1 of 1 in Lower Wick
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester - South M5, Jct 12

Been to Bay Prince of Wales Hotel? Share your experiences!