“Nothing too much trouble - Pat and Martin Sherborne”

Bay Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We have just returned from the Bay Prince of Wales Hotel Berkeley. It was our sixth visit and every bit as good as usual. We shall be returning twice next year. The reason we keep returning is the friendly efficiency of the staff and the value for money. We self drive and while the hotel itself is a little remote, there are plenty of places to visit locally. Nothing ever seems too much effort or trouble for the staff. Such a happy staff - they seem like a great big family and treat us the same way. Breakfast is excellent and generous. Evening dinner is a good choice but not quite as generous as the breakfast. Rooms clean and well serviced. The entertainers have been well chosen. We always enjoy them. On our recent visit there were just a dozen people attending the entertainment but a party atmosphere was generated. We shall return for many years. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Any one who is prepared to pay a little extra should see if a suite is available - lots of space and...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia H
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

As always its great to see you both again. Your comments are much appreciated and I will pass on to all concerned. Its good to know that after your 6th visit you still enjoy our ‘company’ and look forward to meeting up again next year.

Melanie Mann

Reviewed November 2, 2011

After staying for a long weekend in August 2011, we decided to stay Mon - Fri, to see more of the area, Our stay at the Price of Wales was fantastic again. Firstly we were upgraded to the Honeymoon suite, with a four poster bed, Jacuzzi bath etc, which was totally fab. I have a wheat and Gluten allergy and they sorted my menu out daily of what I could and couldn't eat. The hotel staff are all so plesent and kind, and cannot do enough for you.
We will stay at the Prince of Wales again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

I am so glad you were able to return again in October and that once again you enjoyed your stay, we do our best to make sure all our guests have a lovely time and its great to know that we have achieved this and you have gone home happy and hopefully will come back again soon.

Melanie Mann

Reviewed October 1, 2011

Having stayed at this hotel so many times I am amazed at the recent review.
I have never had a problem plugging in my own travel iron and electric rollers in any
of the rooms I have stayed in.
Breakfast is bacon, sausage, tomato, baked beans, hash browns and
choice of egg, fried, poached or scrambled. All or what ever you choose. Boiled eggs are available also kippers. Yes, there is always loads of toast.
Strange that a previous review were so pleased and had flowers in their room and balloons. The area has so much to offer if you are looking for a country break. The canal has wonderful walks and views. Purton, Frampton on Severn and Slimbridge are all worth visiting.While I was there, at the same time, there were tall ships on their way to Plymouth along the canal to Sharpness and the Severn. A trip to Chepstow over the bridge is also an
interesting trip out via Thornbury. Wotton under Edge is also worth a visit. I don't understand how people can book a holiday and don't look at a map to see where they are going and look up the local area. I always order my paper on arrival when staying at a hotel.
This is the first time I have done a review. I feel that the opinions given are so unfair as it would be hard to find a hotel more friendly and welcoming anywhere.
I am nowhere near 70 and find it most innapropriate to mention a stick! I met some very
friendly people while I was there who loved the hotel. It is not super luxury but is superb value
for my money. I will be back in February as I visit National Trust at Newark Park for Snowdrop weekend. See you then, Mel and all. I've always believed you can get out of life what you put in. Some people don't always put in much.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank mary p
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My Husband and I celebrated with Stan and Bev their 40th Wedding Anniversary. As usual everything was excellent having spent 4 Christmas's here already.
With regard to a recent review criticising the hotel the Gentleman in question (whom we had already identified) would take a lot of satisfying . We thought this break was excellent value for money. We cannot rate the staff and the hotel highly enough (hence why we are going back this Christmas) We called in on our way to Paington last weekend for a coffee and were welcomed with open arms by Melanie and all the staff. Ken and Margaret Hughes.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kenneth H
Reviewed September 8, 2011

On arrival the hotel looks the business with a large car park. The receptionist was helpful and friendly. Our room was situated on the 1st floor, even though the room was near the main road, noise was minimal.
The room was basic (a word which will be often quoted) with all normal requirements such as tea making, trouser press and hair dryer. However - if you bring your own radio you wont be able to plug it in. Their sockets will only allow their electrical appliances so i tried using the radio they supplied for the room, but this was next to useless. Could only find one FM channel but that disappeared. MW and LW did not work at all.
The TV was basic IE the old bulky portable not the modern flat panel TVs you get at most other hotels. Plus the TV only allows your basic 5 channels. Other hotels supply some extra freeview channels, but not this hotel. The TV channels were also of poor picture quality with lots of 'ghosting'.
The hotel has WiFi for internet access which is useful. However - the WiFi signal is lost when you reach your room. You will only get a signal in the bar area and NOT your room. This was poor.
We stayed for 3 nights one of which was our anniversary. They allowed us to place a bottle of champers in their fridge which we drank in the bar area, but that was the only personal touch you will get. I don't know, but a little fuss perhaps, would be nice from the staff when anyone is celebrating a special occasion we didn't get none - so don't expect any!!
Meals were basic. Breakfast is not buffet. Always ask for your sausage to be well done otherwise your full English will come with almost raw sausage. You will get one rasher of bacon, one small sausage, some beans and an egg. Plus all the toast you want.
Evening meal comes with a choice of starter, main and dessert. Again these are basic, nothing fancy. On Sunday morning the service was poor - had to wait over 20 minutes to be served. The waitress new we were there but never said she would be with us soon. Sunday morning does seem busy so be down by 8.00am or you could be ignored!
The receptionist is friendly but didn't know where the nearest place was to get a newspaper. I was told there may be a shop in Berkeley but i found one at at a petrol garage less than 3 minutes away. Their knowledge of the locale is patchy at best.
The brochure stated that bourton on the water is nearby but in fact it is at least an 80mile round trip. I think this is for coach trips - bit far by car. In fact places to visit are very limited. There is Tetbury, Dursley and Cirencester after which there is not much else. Its £14 per adult by the way to visit Berkeley castle and a greenhouse they call a butterfly farm.
Incidentally you will find the hotel mainly frequented by those in the 70+ age bracket. Overall it was a very basic experience and a must for those who wear walking boots and carry a stick!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank flippy504213
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I have just celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary with a couple of friends. First impression was the hotel is in need of a refurb, however I understand that this already taking place after being taken over by Shearings. The food is excellent although the portions are rather small. The entertainment we had was fantastic, especially IAN LOCKYER - what a truly talented gut he is who was really listening to what his audience wanted. The bedrooms were clean and comfortable. The staff are the icing on the cake. Everyone is sooooooooo friendly and their manners were delightful and very attentive. Louise arranged some flowers and a balloon for us and the flowers were lovely and fresh and full of colour. What more can I say, other than if you are thinking of a small and friendly hotel stay - please go and try, it will be worth it. Good luck and thanks to everyone for giving us a memorable weekend. Fatama - we love you. x Beverley & Stan Horton

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beverley H
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed here on a self drive holiday easy to find plenty of places to walk around and explore nearby. Slimbridge is a must .
We had room 43 also, the room was noisy from passing traffic , but we had windows open all night as we did have a bit of the summer when we stayed.
Great value nice hotel helpful staff we hope to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank barb w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Best Western Bristol North The Gables Hotel
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester - South M5, Jct 12
The Lansdown Grove Hotel

Been to Bay Prince of Wales Hotel? Share your experiences!