“Good value friendly an ideal base for Bath”

Best Western Compass Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tormarton
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a one night stay in a family room, our room was lovely and clean, the hotel is old but full of character, staff were friendly and professional and keen to help in any way. Would certainly visit again if visiting the are

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I didn't actually stay or even eat here - was only there a few hours for a short course. Bad signeage meant I parked in wrong place then couldn't find reception. I was shocked at how filthy it all is. Years worth of grime everywhere. Even the vase in the ladies is dirty. I was surprised it was possible to run hotels like this. Also v badly arranged, and it is like a rabbit warren. Twice I got lost (??). I livel locally and will never return here if I can avoid it

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Lucky946
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where to start...we booked a family room for one night, which turned out to be a complete disaster. Kept awake all night by noise of disco from a function (which we weren't told about in advance), when that stopped we had snoring from next door room keeping us awake, which was so loud it was as if it was in the same room as us. The paper thin walls made of chipboard mean that you can hear every noise from adjoining rooms. The night was finally ended by a number of bangs and crashes at around 5am as various staff began work and throughout the early morning as people in the room above got out of bed. The room itself had an odd smell that I still can't place, but the bathroom smelled strongly, as did the wardrobe (and so did our clothes in the morning). The shower was a joke, a spittle of water was the most you could get from it. The breakfast was unbelievably bad - rubber eggs, sausages that were inedible, mushrooms in congealed butter...I could go on. I have stayed in many hotels over the years on business and for pleasure, this is by far the worst. Almost worth a visit for that reason alone.

6  Thank Charles S
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were first introduced to this restaurant some weeks ago for a mid-week meal when I would gladly have given a 5* rating as the service, menu, food quality, cleanliness and ambience could not be faulted. However we were very disappointed on a recent visit for Sunday lunch to be faced with a restricted menu, with no chicken or fish apart from Scampi. The two meals ordered, (roast beef and Chicken curry) were of generous portions, but the quality of the beef and the soft roast potatoes fell short of the standard expected. I opted for the Bakewell Tart to follow, but on arrival the pastry was so under-cooked as to be inedible and was returned, to be replaced with ice cream. Old food splashes down the radiator and on the interior window were clearly visible and rather lowered the tone where cleanliness is concerned, but being an optimist and the fact that the meal was good value, I would still take a chance of a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leonard W
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights with my 4 year old daughter recently. The hotel is very pretty and there were no issues with cleanliness as previously reported. The room we stayed in was fine and located to the rear of the hotel. Decor not quite as modern as those already pictured but not of any concern, although admittedly the wardrobe/dresser is old fashioned! The staff were very friendly especially the man on reception who I understand is part of the family who own the hotel and also the man serving breakfast who offered my daughter hot chocolate. We ate there 2 nights and would highly recommend the lamb tagline, although the other food we ate was just OK.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good rooms for the price, conveniently located in the Cotswold Way and attentive staff. Did have some problems. Receptionist did not showed up on time and we could not check out in the morning and delayed our start. In addition, taxi ordered through hotel never showed up, but some one from the hotel staff took us to our starting point. If it was not or these incidents,which may be one time problems, I would have rated them higher.

Room Tip: No comments. We had a quiet room towards the end of he hotel.
2  Thank walkeronearth
Reviewed August 3, 2013

30 minutes from Bath by car we found this place when everything else was full around Bath and booking with short notice.
BW Compass Inn is only 3 minutes from the M4.

A family of five, we got joining rooms, which was spacious with two bathrooms and TVs etc.

Standard was ok with clean rooms, although heavily perfumed upon arrival. No AC, but we managed ok despite a warm day.

Breakfast served only between 7-9, a tad early for holiday travellers...

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank barran69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tormarton
Travelodge Chippenham Leigh Delamere Eastbound
Stanton Manor Hotel
#3 of 8 in Chippenham
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North
Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel

Been to Best Western Compass Inn? Share your experiences!