“Hidden Gem on High Street!”
Review of Thai Basil

Thai Basil
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Thornbury
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem on High Street!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

During an overnight trip to Thornbury Castle with family and children, we opted to give Thai Basil a try for dinner despite the recent average reviews. We found the restaurant tucked away in a little corner on the High Street (actually passed right by it the first time). We were immediately greeted with great service and a smile. Our order was taken quickly, and the food was delivered fresh, hot...and tasty. The portion sizes were perfect, and the pricing was very reasonable. The decor was lovely with the beautiful carved tables. I work in the hospitality/restaurant industry managing several multi-unit upscale dining & catering venues, and I can say that my experience at Thai Basil was outstanding.

• Visited January 2013

“Nice place still, but not such a good value for money wholesome eatery anymore. Shame!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Tasty food and great service. This used to be my favourite restaurant. However recently they seem to have been reducing portion sizes. A main and side used to fill me up just fine, however now I need a starter to ensure that I don't come away really hungry, and the starters have also become quite meagre compared to what they used to be. This obviously removes the value for money and quick wholesome eat factor of the place. I used to eat here at least once a month, but rarely visit now. Still worth a visit but not the absolute gem that it was.

South West England
“Average”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I'm unsure why this restaurant scores so highly. We ate here on our way back from Bristol last night and the atmosphere was nice and the staff very pleasant. The starters were fine and the ribs in particular were very tasty. However the main courses were just a little odd. I had giant prawns which I assume were crevettes which came in a thick gloopy sauce. The prawns were very overcooked with the texture of rubber and the sticky rice was solid and almost hard. You could have bounced it off the wall. I'm imagining that it was all pre-cooked and then either re-heated or left to stay warm. My husband had a duck dish which he said was very heavy and fatty. His rice was of equal consistency to mine. He ordered a shandy and watched as the waiter poured a glass of lemonade and then added a splash of lager in the top. (More of a lemonade/lager top) Whilst it was pleasant it all lacked authenticity and I thought this was a shame as some elements of the meal were nice, while others were almost inedible. Perhaps this was an off night for them, but really not worth the £50 bill.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank sugarplum007
Somerset
“Absolute disgrace!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ordered takeout. Don't go there! Took home a hard slab of rice - all be it enough to feed a malnourished two old, but as it turned out I could have replaced a small piece of the missing tile from our roof. Duck breast - humm! Very tasty if you love to chew on a soggy mass of skin without the meat - which at £8.50 for a single serving of skin is pretty outrageous . All other dishes that were ordered were well below par - Untasty with no substance. All in all - tasteless, non- authentic, disappointing, poor quality. Adding to the fact that the five of us would never eat here again or recommend.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Dre68
“Lovely authentic Thai restaurant with great atmosphere”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a really lovely restaurant with great Thai decor & carved tables which really adds to the lovely ambiance. The food is always great, really authentic, fresh & delicious. It is advisable to book as it can get busy. We tend to go for special occasions as it has that special feeling to it.

• Visited May 2012