“NICE FOOD, OKAY SERVICE”
Review of Ronnies

Ronnies
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Thornbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ronnie's restaurant in the heart of Thornbury has turned a crumbling 17th century building into a lively, stylish eaterie and coffee lounge. Recently voted South West Restaurant of the Year by The Good Food Guide, the dining room features exposed natural stonework and beamed ceilings hung with art works from Castle Gallery. Chef-owner Ronnie Faulkner brings years of training and experience in the kitchens of stars like Anton Mosimann to his inventive modern European cuisine prepared with a British twist. Signature dishes include seasonal dishes like seared scallops wrapped in bacon, Cornish lamb with baby spring veg and lemon. Local produce is the rule, and wines are supplied by boutique vintners with many available by the glass.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am not sure why Ronnies is no 1 out of Thornbury restaurants, because I prefer the Mezze. Only eaten in here at Lunchtime, and only sat downstairs. Had a couple of different meals, prefer the burger, but would like my chips to come hotter. I enjoy it in here and feel that there is a lovely feel to the lunchtime clientele.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We ate here for the first time a week ago and I can quite honestly say it was superb. Having eaten in some of Bristol's best restaurants: Bells, Casamia and The Pony and Trap I can say that my experience at Ronnie's equalled these others.
The atmosphere is friendly with for once a smiling front of house! We were seated to our table as soon as we arrived by the charming maitre d and then looked after very well throughout the course of our meal. The food was delicious and served without a hugely long wait. I would recommend Ronnie's to anyone who enjoys good service and good food. I'm still finding it hard to comprehend some of the bad reviews on here. Thanks for a lovely evening!

1  Thank Shropshirelass86
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to Ronnies for my birthday after not having visited for a couple of years. When it first opened we thought it was fantastic to have such an innovative new restaurant so close to us. Our previous visit was not good but we thought we would try again. Sadly we did not really enjoy the meal or the experience. It seems to me that they have lost their way. The food is good on the whole but somehow over-thought, tries to be too clever. When I choose dauphinoise potatoes, I'd prefer a nice satisfying mound rather than a fancy compressed stick! Service was not that rapid or friendly either. Sorry to say all this as I have always found Ronnie to be very welcoming when I have spoken to him.

1  Thank SianIng
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Sunday lunch
Beef had only two options medium rare or well done, it was also a very small portion.
Service was quite quick but the restraint manager had to keep jumping in to help the waiter.. I was told ronnies was going for a Michelin star, the service will need some improvement!
I had chicken for the main course which was nice but again small portion and the garnish of sweet corn and lardons was very salty and small!
However the £16 price tag is very good
The restaurant is pleasant and the staff are polite!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I think that regulars who are fans of Ronnies, but have a bad experience are 100% right to complain. Keep Ron on his toes! But I continue to be very lucky because our dinner for 4 persons on 6 August was our best yet. I'm a very fussy diner, with one allergy and several dislikes, but we turned up with one guest with dietary requirements from Hell. A cousin visiting us from Tasmania is on a gluten and dairy free FODMAPs diet that cuts out half the vegetables and fruits. What she can eat is very boring indeed, but Ron served up these boring ingredients in the most apetising ways imaginable.