“Great food, great service!”
Review of Ronnies

Ronnies
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Thornbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Ronnie's restaurant in the heart of Thornbury has turned a crumbling 17th century building into a lively, stylish eaterie and coffee lounge. Recently voted South West Restaurant of the Year by The Good Food Guide, the dining room features exposed natural stonework and beamed ceilings hung with art works from Castle Gallery. Chef-owner Ronnie Faulkner brings years of training and experience in the kitchens of stars like Anton Mosimann to his inventive modern European cuisine prepared with a British twist. Signature dishes include seasonal dishes like seared scallops wrapped in bacon, Cornish lamb with baby spring veg and lemon. Local produce is the rule, and wines are supplied by boutique vintners with many available by the glass.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I think that regulars who are fans of Ronnies, but have a bad experience are 100% right to complain. Keep Ron on his toes! But I continue to be very lucky because our dinner for 4 persons on 6 August was our best yet. I'm a very fussy diner, with one allergy and several dislikes, but we turned up with one guest with dietary requirements from Hell. A cousin visiting us from Tasmania is on a gluten and dairy free FODMAPs diet that cuts out half the vegetables and fruits. What she can eat is very boring indeed, but Ron served up these boring ingredients in the most apetising ways imaginable.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

So very disappointed by our experience. We had heard such great things and were really looking forward to eating here, sadly it turned our anniversary dinner very sour.
We arrived for just before 8pm as table booked at 8pm. Seated straight away, great. However we then sat for nearly 30 mins with no one coming to our table to take a drink order and not even a wine list. Once we asked for it we got one but they quickly went again. A table of 4 came in after us and were seated and orders taken before they had even come back to take our drinks order. Too many people walking around not knowing what they were doing while the manager was clearly the one doing all the work. They had no clue if we had ordered and then the service really wasn't that great when we did get it. The bread basket was rubbish I could have gone to Hobbs House and done better, the starter was ok but came an hour after we had sat down, just too long and the main was ok, I have to say I have eaten in much better and more reasonable priced places. Dessert we had to ask for (first for me) and then we waited a further 30 mins for this only to be told that it does take 20 mins to cook. In all honesty the best part of the whole meal was my ice cream. Very sad and disappointed because what should have been a special anniversary dinner turned in to a grumpy, frustrated experience with average food. We will not return and wish we had gone with our instinct which was after 25 mins of waiting for a wine list was to leave and go to The Mezze across the road!

1  Thank holidayhappydays
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am a big fan of this restaurant, and am still a fan of the food quality and general style but today's service was poor. The reason we were told was more than the 20 expected for lunch today turned up. However we witnessed a walk out by one couple, rather smaller portions served of meat and vegetables, hardly enough really, Yorkshire puddings cut in half presumably insufficient cooked, and rather poor and slow waiting service. We were in for 2 hours and only had time for a starter and main course that illustrates the result of the problems for whatever reason they occurred.

It would be good to receive a proper explanation, may be an apology, and may be an invitation to come back when things are better, which I sincerely hope they will be soon! Otherwise I guess the restaurant will end up closed. A blip we hope...

An former relative, Muset in Clifton has already gone.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Tuesday evening booking, relatively quiet. She had scallops and sole, I had tuna and Sea Bass. All marvellously cooked and presented, washed down with an excellent Sancerre. Cheese to finish. Service very friendly. I always like a little bit more food on my plate than top restaurants give me, which is why it doesn't get 5 stars from me, but it was super, and I didn't need any more food, I'm just greedy ;-) Highly recommended

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We got brave and chose the chef surprise menu. Yes, we were surprised by a number of the 7 courses ( small size thank goodness) but delighted at the presentation and fabulous mix of tastes amongst the courses. I would never have chosen red mullet but was really impressed by the flavors.
This was a truly memorable dining experience. Very relaxed because we did not have food choices to make, the service was outstanding and staff very friendly and pleasant. A great chef.
Highly recommended, a little pricy but worth every penny.
David of NZ