“Unique experience, amazing food and excellent service”

Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at this hotel as a special treat for our first wedding anniversary and because i was eight months pregnant it maybe some time till we spend this sort of money on one night again!!

The rooms are large and full of character. We were in our own tower with a huge four poster bed and amazing ornate ceilings. Bizzarely, although it was September and quite warm the fire was on full flow when we were shown to our room, consequently it was far too hot in the room. We could never get the fire to turn off completely (it was a fake log fire and it always had the pliot light on) and spent the night with all the windows open and the fan on full. The bathroom is not horrific but is in urgent need of some attention as there is a different between old and full of character and just down right tired.

Despite this, it was still an amazing stay. The atmosphere of the castle is magical and the staff are really helpful and polite without being impersonal. Some parts of the castle could do with some TLC to make it even better.

The food in the restaurant was amazing. I was concern when reading the menu that it would be abit too fussy but it really wasn't. Every single mouthful was gorgeous. They even took the time to write happy anniversary on our dessert!! I would also recommend the Thornbury Castle wine made from grapes on the grounds, as it was easy to drink and went well with the food.

The grounds are nice to walk around after dinner and it often feels like you are the only person wandering around in your own castle! It has an exclusive feel without being unfriendly.

It is a very expensive stay but it is also a very unique experience with amazing service and food and is therefore worth the effort.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband took me here as a treat for our anniversary. I am a bit of a history geek and he knew it would tick my boxes, I have to say it really didn't dissapoint.
Unlike some other 'themed' hotels, this castle remains truely authentic, retaining so much history and charm. The service we found to be the very best of any of the 5* hotels we have ever stayed in and the food in the resturant was to die for.
I would be back to Thornbury like a shot, the only down side was the price. It was expensive, we stayed in The Tower room which is the the best in the hotel (and also the most expensive) but if it is a special occasion it is worth pushing the boat out as you wont get that kind of experience any where else.
I think the only thing it lacked was some sort of spa, if they could add that it would be for me the ultimate destination, however I appreciate it is Grade 1 listed and there is only so much they can do. (also they can arrange treatments in the room that were very reasonably priced)
All in all, I would say go to Thornbury, you if you receive the service, quality of food, and appreciate the history of the building you will have an amazing time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My wife and I first stayed at Thornbury in 1975, then in 2001. Unfortunately I feel nothing has been changed or modernised since the Von Essen group bought the hotel back in 2000. What a disaster as the potential of this magnificent Tudor building is enormous. The bathroom was dirty and the bath worn out, the loo seat was old and loose and the bed linen had seen better days. Service was friendly and dinner very good but we shall sadly not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2009

In May 2009, Thornbury Castle provided us with a delightful interlude from our usual travel experience. The service and attention provided by every member of the staff, starting with Brian who is the Castle Manager, were extraordinary. From the time we entered the Castle until we unfortunately had to leave, we knew that we would be pampered. The gardens are peaceful and tranquil. The rooms are beyond description. And the dinner, preceded by a cocktail in the Library, is an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I have stayed at Thornbury Castle on a number of occasions, both on business and with my family. It has always proved to be a relaxing break from the world beyond and the standard of the restaurant has always been very good. Thornbury Castle is a proper castle with wonderful oak rooms, open fires (now powered by gas), and great hewn-stone walls. Despite this genuinely ancient nature, the rooms are very comfortable, warm and everything you would expect of a first class hotel (not at all cranky or draughty like some castle-hotels). The grounds are lovely and although this place is a little bit out of the way, it is reasonably convenient for events in Bristol. The restaurant has been consistently very good on my visits (even producing items to order when things on the menu didn't happen to appeal), though the English breakfast can feel a bit as though it was cooked by a French chef (fried eggs and black/white pudding tending to be a bit undercooked). As places like this go, Thornbury is pretty good value. I always enjoy coming to this place and only regret that I have not had more opportunity to do so in the recent past.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I stayed here while on a business trip in the bristol area. The price I got was not much more than some chain hotel like hilton and what a difference there was. I am already looking forward to my next stay.
the castle is totally authentic - sometimes places like this look nice but around the back there's some ugly concrete box with another 50 bedrooms. At thornbury castle all the rooms are in the castle and all seem a little different to one another.
I had a high room overlooking the walled garden and church. it was peaceful (no traffic noise or noise from the other rooms) and the room itself quite big. The stairs were really steep to it though and even I had to get help with my suitcase.
Breakfast was wonderful. a big choice of cold things plus cooked to order english breakfast.
perhaps some of the other reviewers are on more of a heritage holiday and a bit more critical of where they are staying but comparing this to the faceless box I would have been in at travelodge or hilton then it was wonderful to stay here.
I would love to take my girlfriend here although that pushes up the price somewhat and perhaps there i'd be reluctant to pay 200 pounds a night for a double room.
I did ask the prices in the restaurant and one set menu was 65 pounds. being on a budget (and fixed daily allowance) I had my dinner at pizza hut at cribbs causeway shopping mall for 4 pounds all in, but as a solo traveller on business i'm not really interested in long drawn out dinners, no matter how good.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I had very high hopes for this hotel, but frankly it got old fast. When we arrived, they rolled out the red carpet and it seemed to me that the fellow was just clamoring for a tip because we never saw hide nor hair of anyone on staff again, with the exception of those who worked in the restaurant for breakfast. When we first entered the room, it was spectacular but then reality of being in a castle from the 1500's in 2009 set in and the lighting was horrible so you could not read in the room, it was hot and there was literally no place to plug anything in, so ladies if you need a blow dryer or straigtening iron, forget it!! It is a bit overpriced for what you are getting, but on the other hand, the grounds are beautiful and the place is very glamorous. Someone arrived by helicopter when we were there and it was thrilling to stay in a place with so much history. They could make it much more charming though with a little effort to make you feel like you are part of history. That effort falls a bit short. One suit of armor in the entrance doesn't do the trick.

The location for touring the countryside including Bath, Stonehenge, the Cotswolds and the Slaughters is ideal. The town of Thornbury itself is very nice with everything available. If you do stay there, I recommend a restaurant in town called Ronnie's. It was a real find. So if you like history and can put aside the things that we take for granted in 2009, I do recommend this hotel for a short stay. Also, the restaurant was good, the meal was very gourmet and I thought that the service there was very good so I didn't have the same experience as the previous reviewer who complained about it.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
The Greenway Hotel and Spa
The Greenway Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Shurdington

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!