“like a dream”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
Nurmijarvi, Finland
“like a dream”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I stayed here while on a business trip in the bristol area. The price I got was not much more than some chain hotel like hilton and what a difference there was. I am already looking forward to my next stay.
the castle is totally authentic - sometimes places like this look nice but around the back there's some ugly concrete box with another 50 bedrooms. At thornbury castle all the rooms are in the castle and all seem a little different to one another.
I had a high room overlooking the walled garden and church. it was peaceful (no traffic noise or noise from the other rooms) and the room itself quite big. The stairs were really steep to it though and even I had to get help with my suitcase.
Breakfast was wonderful. a big choice of cold things plus cooked to order english breakfast.
perhaps some of the other reviewers are on more of a heritage holiday and a bit more critical of where they are staying but comparing this to the faceless box I would have been in at travelodge or hilton then it was wonderful to stay here.
I would love to take my girlfriend here although that pushes up the price somewhat and perhaps there i'd be reluctant to pay 200 pounds a night for a double room.
I did ask the prices in the restaurant and one set menu was 65 pounds. being on a budget (and fixed daily allowance) I had my dinner at pizza hut at cribbs causeway shopping mall for 4 pounds all in, but as a solo traveller on business i'm not really interested in long drawn out dinners, no matter how good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
princeton, new jersey
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I had very high hopes for this hotel, but frankly it got old fast. When we arrived, they rolled out the red carpet and it seemed to me that the fellow was just clamoring for a tip because we never saw hide nor hair of anyone on staff again, with the exception of those who worked in the restaurant for breakfast. When we first entered the room, it was spectacular but then reality of being in a castle from the 1500's in 2009 set in and the lighting was horrible so you could not read in the room, it was hot and there was literally no place to plug anything in, so ladies if you need a blow dryer or straigtening iron, forget it!! It is a bit overpriced for what you are getting, but on the other hand, the grounds are beautiful and the place is very glamorous. Someone arrived by helicopter when we were there and it was thrilling to stay in a place with so much history. They could make it much more charming though with a little effort to make you feel like you are part of history. That effort falls a bit short. One suit of armor in the entrance doesn't do the trick.

The location for touring the countryside including Bath, Stonehenge, the Cotswolds and the Slaughters is ideal. The town of Thornbury itself is very nice with everything available. If you do stay there, I recommend a restaurant in town called Ronnie's. It was a real find. So if you like history and can put aside the things that we take for granted in 2009, I do recommend this hotel for a short stay. Also, the restaurant was good, the meal was very gourmet and I thought that the service there was very good so I didn't have the same experience as the previous reviewer who complained about it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
heathrow
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We booked this venue for our daughter's birthday weekend celebration - everything was perfect from the welcome, dinner, wines, bedchambers + amazing staff. This place certainly has the WOW factor and having previously stayed in hotels such as the Burj Al Arab, Amarvilas, Four Seasons etc. I feel Thornbury Castle has unique historic appeal that doesn't rely on giant plasma TVs, bling appeal, personal butlers et al.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
baltimore
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Absolutely gorgeous place. Beautiful garden and room. Very romantic stay.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
cincinnati, ohio
Reviewed December 23, 2008

While spending 2 weeks in the U.K with my oldest friend, Thornbury Castle was looked forward to with enormous pleasure.. Having visited both Scotland and England numerous times, Thornbury and its history were intriguing. Staying in the "Dukes"s" bedchamber (which I had specifically chosen) was sensational. The room had at one time hosted Ann Boleyn and Henry ViIII for a 10 day visit. Outside of our chamber was a turret that both my friend and I availed ourselves of at every opportunity. (know that there is an easier central staircase) The room itself was quite large with a lovely fire. The staff were all charming and courteous. We most certainly enjoyed walking the hauntingly lovely grounds, boasting the oldest surviving Tudor garden in England. While in the area, we visited both the Cotswolds and the city of Bath. If one enjoys history and fabulous atmosphere, Thornbury should be high on your list of hotel venues. I have a passion for both Scotland and England and will within the next year or so, most certainly go back to Thornbury.

• Liked — The castle and grounds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed December 22, 2008

December 22nd 2008
Just come back from what was suposed to be a romantic weekend away for our wedding anniversary. The brochure made the castle out to be 4 star accomodation, don't believe it! Well over priced, cracked tiles in the bathroom, grout missing and no sealant around the bath. Food was ok so long as you wanted to eat at least one and a half hours after you were booked in we ended up getting our main course at 10.30 at night! Our room which overlooked the rubbish dump had heating which you couldn't turn off so you spent all night uncomfortable to say the least, worst place I have ever stayed.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DiscruntledUk
Central New York
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Hopefully I can provide a different perspective for someone who travels alone.

Although I am married I have travelled quite extensively and always by myself. Hubby has no interest. Having said this, in the terror filled world that we live in I must be more cautious than ever about my choices since I am a 50 year old woman.

Like most romantics I have always wanted to stay in a castle. So when planning this visit to the UK I looked for a reasonbly priced location that also provided the location experience that I was looking for. I didn't want Disneyworld - I wanted Sir Lancelot!

I arrived late in the day after driving down from Manchester Airport. SInce I refuse to use GPS and miss a good "getting lost" I did eventually have to stop and ask a local how to find it in the small town. Well worth the wait. Just driving through the gate- slowly if you have any sense- and savoring the fantasy that I was arriving at the castle for a country house party was priceless. The castle is original and authentic and this one makes a great first impression.

Through the gatehouse and to reception. I was expecting someone to come out and meet me but that's a minor oh well. Once I was inside though they treated me like I was the Queen. As I had corresponded with the staff for months prior to my arrival they had taken everything I had told them into account and saw to my every need and desire. They remembered that I had recent surgery and dispatched someone (Jack) to immediately take charge of my bags and then off to my room. I booked one of the small single rooms so imagine my surprise when I was shown to a room with a four poster bed! My only complaint was that I was sure they gave me the wrong room! They assured me they had not and I was in Heaven with oriel windows,a bow window sitting area and Molton Brown shower products.

After a nap I ventured into town to hang with the locals at the Guy Fawkes Night celebrations. Great people. Upon returning I had tea with the best chocolate chip cookies I had ever had. And I bake all the time so that says a lot! And of course off to bed.

Day two I asked for a tour of the castle. The hotel manager took me on the tour personally and it wasn't a quick glance. I had many questions because I had actually done a little homework before arriving and he answered all the questions, in fact seeming glad to have someone pick his brain! If you are a photography, castle or anything old nut like I am this is the place for you. If you have the ability to imagine yourself there a couple of hundred years ago and take a stroll as if you were this will satisfy a lot of fantasies. It is a well hidden gem and I recommend it heartily. I did not have any meals at the castle except breakfast but this was fantastic and cooked exactly as I had requested. The maitre'd' is particularly charming if you engage him in conversation. And perfectly silent if you wish to be alone. I cannot, obviously, say enough good things about the venue!

In summation, let me highly recommend a visit. Yes there is the odd spider or cobweb or whatnot but let's face it the place is literally hundreds of years old and it wouldn't seem authentic without some of the earthy critters that have been dwelling there for generations! Take a chance...and contact the hotel directly for better rates.

• Liked — originality - not modernized to ruin the effect
  • Disliked — rooms are a little on the warm side
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank cynsterwytche
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!