“incredible hotel, but will not return”

Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I am posting this review on behalf of my brother who does not have computer access:
''My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July. The reason I have delayed writing this review is because on our return we wrote to the hotel's management concerning a couple of issues, and we have been waiting for their reply. As they do not have the courtesy to reply to guests letters I have decided I have waited long enough and have asked my brother to post this review on my behalf.
We arrived on the day of our 40th wedding anniversary and pre-booked afternoon tea in the lounge. Unfortunately, this was ruined because a guide with tour party positioned themselves for about 15 minutes right in front of our table with the guide talking to the group for that time right in front of us, then she said to the group: 'We shall not go into the library as there is a couple in there having tea!' this obviously ruined our tea and was incredibly bad manners on the part of the guide. One other issue was when we were checking in there were two couples in front of us and only one receptionist on duty. She then went off with the first couple to get their luggage from their car and take them to their room, she repeated this for the couple in front of us, so we were left standing there for about 20 minutes looking at the empty reception area, not a good first impression of a hotel where you are paying £760 for a two night stay. My point is they should have enough staff on duty at busy check-in times.
During our stay we mentioned these issues to staff and were met with a shrug of the shoulders.
Our room, one of the Deluxe bedchambers was fantastic, the food was excellent, but again the management of the 'dining experience' was all wrong. We ordered drinks in the lounge before dinner while looking at the menu, then were called into the dining room where we then waited 25 minuted for our starters to arrive. What on earth was that about? Surely it would have been better to leave us enjoying our pr-dinner drink in the lounge until our meal was ready. This could and should be a wonderful experience to stay at this hotel and under the previous management it was, but now, considering the cost it needs to sort itself out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EnglandMikeb

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I can't say enough good things about our time at Thornbury Castle. I surprised my husband with a visit here for his birthday and got two rooms for us and our friends. We were in The Tower. This is such a fantasy suite. A true European stateroom, with the largest bed in Great Britain, an easy to use fire place, and a luscious bathroom with a spacious antique tub. The room has every comfort and the attention to detail in the restorations are impeccable. A TV that rises up from a hidden cabinet at the foot of the best was an especially nice touch. The bed was so epic that we were able to lay 5 of us in a row and still have room. Where else can you find that? Very original.

Check in service was friendly and informative. The public areas are warm and welcoming. I loved exploring the guest books and photo albums and we all enjoyed sitting by the giant fireplace late at night. We had a celebratory birthday dinner at the restaurant and though service was a bit slow, they were very friendly and all of our courses were delicious. When you sit under the chandelier in the dining room, its hard to imagine its been hanging in that spot for longer than my home country has existed.

We especially loved walking around the grounds. The hidden gardens are very special and its easy to see this property is maintained with lots of love. Thornbury Castle is also a great base for exploring southern Wales, Bristol, Bath and The Forest of Dean. I always love sleeping in a piece of history and this was one of the best hotel experiences I ever had.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed on a stormy night in October with our two young daughters (5 and 6 years) and had a blast.

The staff are friendly and super helpful and the room and surroundings are amazing.

We even had a secret room hidden behind an oak panel.

The girls loved it.

If I have one criticism I'd say that the food - although nice - doesn't quite live up to the awesomeness of everything else.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank CraigBrewster
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was booked as a surprise for my partner - and boy it didn't disappoint!! He was rendered speechless. This was my first Secret Escapes booking but it definitely won't be my last. The room was beautiful and very comfortable, including the four-poster. The staff were really lovely and very professional and being a foodie the food was out of this world!!! Please try for yourself.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend on a Secret Escapes deal. As soon as you arrive at the hotel you feel like royalty. It's staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room Buckingham suite was outstanding with everything you need to fell like a princess. The food in the restaurant was divine, with a real lovely atmosphere. If we get the chance we will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My partner booked this for a weekend break through Secret Escapes. It's a jewel of a property which you don't expect to see quite so close to the nearby residential homes but, once you are on the castle grounds, you feel you are in a secluded Tudor idyll.

We stayed in a room called 'Plantagenets' which was beautiful. You had to go up a narrow, short but uneven stone staircase to get to it which was a bit tricky as my partner was on crutches at the time. I think anyone with mobility issues would need to make this clear to the hotel to get a room that has less obstacles to get there. The room itself was beautiful. Even opening the huge oak door was exciting. The room was large with stone walls and a large bathroom, but the real star of the show was the bed. A four poster and easily the most comfortable bed I've slept in anywhere in any hotel in any country. It was like being wrapped in a warm soft cloud. There was complimentary sherry in the room and two large comfy chairs to sit in while you drink it.

We had afternoon tea there twice in the relaxed, cosy and warm library which had an intimate feel. Lovely food. We had dinner in the restaurant twice which also had an intimate atmosphere and the food was simply beautiful with a fine dining feel. Service was consistently well paced, friendly and unobtrusive.

The castle is well situation for several National Trust properties nearby and we visited Dryham Park and Newark Park which were both within about 30 minutes of the Castle.

We had a really lovely and relaxing break and spent a good few hours relaxing in the library and drawing room reading and generally enjoying the peace and quiet. Despite the grandeur of the setting, it creates a relaxed, welcoming and luxurious setting. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Loved the entrance drive..................wish we had been in a horse and carriage . Reception formalities were soon dealt with and we were escorted to our room ( Woodstock), a beautiful room with four poster bed, comfortable chairs by the table with a decanter of sherry, views over the front garden, large fireplace and also a huge bathroom. It was brilliant, exceeded our expectations.
Dinner and breakfast were excellent with attentive and discreet service.
Felt very sad that we had to leave but will plan to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
Alveston House Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alveston

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!