“Luxury Family Hotel”

Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My only regret from our stay at Thornbury Castle was that it was too brief! The Castle has been wonderfully decorated to resemble its vivid and unique past, and the result is stunning. The grounds were gorgeous and well-maintained and the garden in the courtyard was magnificent. Our family of five booked three rooms, two deluxe suites and one classic room, each beautifully furnished with all the amenities of a luxury hotel while maintaining the regal elegance of the castle's history. Dinner and drinks at the restaurant were delicious, and the staff was very professional. As a family of five, including two teenagers, we enjoyed ourselves heartily and there were plenty of options for guests of all ages. Thornbury Castle is deserving of the title Luxury Family Hotel, and I would highly recommend based on our wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens

Reviewed March 21, 2013

To say that my wife and I enjoyed ourselves would be a terrible understatement. Everything from the setting to the staff was impeccable. The manner in which I was handled during the arrangements for my accommodation was also exceptional.

My only regret was that we did not offer our personal thanks to the chef for the simply fabulous dinner we enjoyed. We were served an outstanding leek and truffle soup followed by a fine foie gras and mains of pork and pheasant, respectively - both of which were simply delicious. I'm sorry - but I don't remember if we had desert! The presentation was outstanding and the portions were very satisfying without being overly so.

I would also be remiss if I did not mention the outstanding service during dinner by both of our attendants in terms of their professionalism and prompt attentiveness.

I found our room to be charming and surprisingly warm with a fireplace (gas) burning upon our arrival. The abundance of natural light and the beautiful windows of the Anne Boleyn Room were inspiring as was the massive hearth and towering ceilings. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The bathroom was large with a peaked window and interior wooden shutters. A telephone near the tub was noticed and the heated towel rack was great.

A large walk-in closet was equipped with a trouser press and iron and board and roomy enough for all of our luggage and then some.

From speaking with management, I was left with the definite and very pleasing opinion that they held the property in high regard and had grand ideas for its future that centred upon restoring former glory rather than overt modernization.

Room Tip: Anne Boleyn Room highly recommended for comfort and style.
2  Thank Doug B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first visit to Thornbury Castle and decided to sample their afternoon tea after recommendation from a friend. We had booked for a Sunday which I understand is advisable. We were not disappointed. The Castle and it's interior are wonderful, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean throughout. The history of the Castle has been well preserved. The staff could not have been more helpful and the 'Tea' was well presented with the usual finger sandwiches, scones and cakes. Compared to others, I would rate Thornbury very highly indeed.
We have already booked a return visit for an evening in the restaurant for later this year.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a perfect experience. The staff are impeccable in their service and the food is as well. Afternoon tea is a must! The dinner was five star and worth every penny! Coconut pannacotta..mmm..They thought of everything and I will come back to England just to re-live this experience!

Room Tip: The Anne Boleyn room has a fantastic fireplace that is always lit-beautiful!
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights over Mothering Sunday weekend as well have having Mothering Sunday lunch for 6 and have nothing but praise.

If you want a modern hotel avoid this like the plague, but if you want a location steeped in history, exuding charm, character and charisma then come here at your earliest opportunity.

Our room in the tower was huge, accessed by way of a stone spiral staircase and having a key so large and heavy that there was no way we would leave with it in error. Inside our room an exceptionally comfy 4 poster bed, faced a wonderfully characterful open fire that was on when we arrived and gave the room a magical feel to it at night.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner twice and lunch and breakfast once each. On every occasion the food was exceptional and the service attentive and friendly despite a couple of our party having dietary requirements.

We can't recommend this hotel enough and if you want to quite literally follow in the footsteps of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn then thus is the place for you.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed the night of Feb 26, 2013. We had 3 rooms the Plantagenet, Howard and Woodstock rooms. I wish we cold have stayed longer. It was everything we imagined. Other reviews complained about the electric outlets. Well, it has to be hard to update everything to today's standards without losing the castle's original essence. I felt just liked I'd stepped back in time to the 16th century. Our rooms were each different, but each had stone walls, fireplaces and stunning windows. We loved the complimentary sherry awaiting us in our rooms and the dinner was outstanding. We played archery outside and walked the gardens. It was very cold the day we were there, but it just added to the atmosphere. We trained it from London Paddington to Bristol Parkway and took a cab to the castle. I can't wait to go back. It's one thing to be a tourist at these places with watchful guards, but actually staying in a castle, we had the run of the place. It was fabulous!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My partner and I stopped off at Thornbury Castle for afternoon tea on our way back from Devon. It was a Monday afternoon so quite quiet and we had the lounge area to ourselves. Nice comfy chairs and had fun reading the Good Food Guide 1975 from their library! Service was as expected in a country hotel and was very good. Lovely choice of sandwiches, cakes and scones and a nice glass of champagne. Lovely gardens to wander round afterwards.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anita1967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
Best Western Bristol North The Gables Hotel
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!