“Wedding Day”

Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We love Thornbury Castle, so much so that we chose 'exclusive' use of the venue for our wedding guests - a day to remember for ever! It changed ownership between our booking and wedding day. We arrived (Saturday as arranged) the receptionist treated us an imposition 'she had another wedding taking place so there was no-one willing to help us with our bags, she wouldn't leave reception' to arrange this - even though we had also pre-booked the two most expensive rooms in the Hotel that evening and exclusive use for the next day. This also happened to several of our guests when they arrived on Sunday. My hairdresser and make-up artist were sent to find our suite - again no-one willing to show them at reception. Nothing is included in the 'package' - we had to hire our own chandeliers, etc for the tables. They promised that the shabby chairs would be replaced for our reception - they weren't! Our wedding breakfast was served over half an hour late, not all tables were served at the same time - despite this being a major factor that we had been assured would happen prior to the event - we were then rushed through our speeches so that the room could be cleared for our evening reception - coffee had to be served across the courtyard - we were charged for ALL our guests having coffee, many didn't have any. Breakfast was not replenished and guests were left waiting. Look at the price for exclusive use and then compare with other venues and what they offer - This was extremely POOR value for an exhorbitant price. However a more stunning venue you could not wish for! Thornbury Castle please take note the venue is second to none however the service does not warrant your fees!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own individual style. If you have slightly creaky joints and struggle wi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Carol M
Faye K, General Manager at Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your experience at Thornbury Castle. I am disappointed to read your comments and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you in person.

Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience to discuss.

Warm regards,

Faye

Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at Thornbury castle for the weekend this is a luxury quaint hotel with plenty of character,staff are very pleasant and helpful especially Anna on reception.
We had a meal within the hotel restaurant on the Sunday evening it has an excellent menu,and the food was truly gorgeous,we also had afternoon drinks in the library which was a relaxing way to spend your time at the weekend.
We would love to stay here again it was a real treat.

1  Thank com_nurseLancashire
Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a disappointment! This was our 30th wedding anniversary special night on New Year's January 1, so we paid top dollar to stay on a bank holiday. It will be a night to remember, but for all the wrong reasons. The shower did not work, towels were dingy, there were HOLES in the sheets, the carpet was dirty, they did not replenish the breakfast bar at all, so if you did not arrive at the beginning, you got the leftovers. There were no biscuits on the coffee/tea tray, no chocolate on your pillow with the turndown service. I travel extensively and every hotel that I have stayed at in England leaves sweet biscuits on the tray and chocolates for turndown. When I politely told the person at the front desk that we were disappointed and why, she just looked at me like I was nuts! Didn't even apologize. Don't waste your money on this overpriced, underserviced hotel.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on this overpriced, under serviced hotel.
3  Thank cdreyn

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Thornbury Castle for your anniversary. I am disappointed to read your comments and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you in person.

Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience to discuss.

Warm regards,

Faye

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My Wife took me here for part of a birthday celebration. We only stayed one night but it was a lovely experience. All staff were polite, genuinely friendly and helpful. The room was absolutely lovely, clean and very comfortable.
Unfortunately the weather was bad but we still explored the grounds of the castle which has lovely gardens, we also enjoyed examining the architecture of the building and the unfinished areas where you can even still see where the ancient scaffolding was erected during the original building process.
My only criticism would be I found a large hat pin and a plastic bottle cap on the floor when we first arrived but they were under a table so I can understand how this could have been missed while cleaning. The cleanliness of the rest of the room was impeccable so we didn't feel the need to make an issue at the time.
This really is fantastic place, steeped in history. We would thoroughly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Stevie1963
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this stay for my partner and I as a Christmas present, mainly because we both love historical places and visiting places with a bit of an edge. I must say we were not disappointed.

People can say that their room was a little dated, it wasn't family friendly or that it needs refurbishing but you need to remember it IS a 500 year old castle... And a beautiful one.

The staff were very attentive and the food was exquisite. We stayed in the 'Woodstock' Deluxe Chamber- by far the most impressive room I've stayed in with gorgeous views and fire. Okay it is pricey and not your average hotel costs but I certainly don't mind paying a bit more for experience and knowledge the Castle provides.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank H-Beagles
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Everything about my stay last night didn't fail to impress me. The hotel itself is stunning, upon arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room I was in was truely amazing including an open fire in bedroom!

All of this was only topped off by one of the best meals I have had in a long time.

All in all I couldn't have wanted more and I can't wait to bring back my wife.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I were planning to be in England over Christmas, and we wanted to do something special for the holidays to make up for the fact that we'd be away from our families. I started looking up castle hotels on the Internet, and found Thornbury. I fell in love with it online, and spent the many months leading up to our trip reading every review and looking at every picture of the castle I could find. Having built it up in my mind so much, my boyfriend was worried that the real thing couldn't possibly live up to my fantasies. But Thornbury did not disappoint!
Our room, the Howard suite, was gorgeous, and had all the castle-ish details that I had hoped for: exposed stone walls, a fireplace (two, actually, but only one functional), tapestries, coffered ceilings, and an AMAZING four-poster bed draped with red curtains. The bed was delicious - down mattress top, down comforter, feather pillows. Man, I loved that bed. The bathroom was large with a nice, big bathtub that was even deep enough for my 6'4"-tall boyfriend. There was a complimentary decanter of sherry in our room, and a cozy sitting area in front of the fireplace, which was decked out with Christmas garland. We had to go up a stone spiral staircase to get to our room, which was awesome every time.
(I will say that our room did not have a proper shower, just the bathtub with a detachable showerhead. It worked out fine for us and wasn't a big deal, but if you *need* a shower, I'd advise contacting Thornbury to see which rooms have them.)

The staff was wonderful. Even before we arrived, Julie Ransom made us feel cared for by answering lots of questions via email and phone. Everyone who helped us at the castle, from General Manager Faye to bellhop Sam, was so kind and welcoming. It felt almost like spending Christmas with family. We also had lots of opportunity to chat with the other guests and get to know them, which really added to the family feel. There were several people who brought their children with them, which didn't bother us at all. The hotel seemed very child-friendly to me.

The Christmas break package itself was wonderful. We felt so taken care of. The dinners were lengthy - we were in the dining room for hours! - but the food was very good. We enjoyed all the little touches that came with the Christmas package, from the tea and cookies in the library when we arrived, to the champagne reception, to the little Christmas surprises that awaited us. (I will just say that Santa does not skip over Thornbury on Christmas Eve.)

Some other reviewers have commented on Thornbury's imperfections. I won't lie; they exist. The wood floors in our bathroom were a bit warped, the bathtub faucet leaked, and we had some issues with the electricity. But you know what? It's a castle! It's hundreds of years old! If I had wanted everything to be perfect, I would have stayed at a high-end modern hotel. The little "imperfections" at Thornbury did nothing to diminish our enjoyment. The beauty of the castle and the kindness of the staff more than made up for these little things.

This was such a lovely Christmas. Unfortunately, we had to leave very early on Boxing Day morning, as we had a morning flight out of Heathrow. I was so sad to be leaving Thornbury. I hope that some day we will have the money to come and stay there again.

If you're a romantic at heart who wants to stay in a castle for the sheer, castle-y magic of it all, then do stay at Thornbury Castle if you get the chance.

(I'm adding lots of photos because that's what I would have wanted to see when I was scoping this place out.)

Room Tip: The Howard suite is gorgeous - four-poster carved oak bed with red curtains, lovely gas fireplace, a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SGTPeaches
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 3 in Coleford
Alveston House Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alveston

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!