“Nice break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Merthyr Tydfil
“Nice break”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Lovely looking old manor house dating back to 1601, unfortunately the house was gutted by a fire in 1908 with only the exterior walls and the main interior walls intact, so don't expect lovely old looking rooms. I hate being negative but I was disappointed with my room, it was room 14 in the main house but apart from the lovely stone windows there was no other feeling of staying in an ancient manor house, it could have been a room in any modern hotel. I purposely travel all over the county to stay in historical hotels, houses & inns etc so perhaps it is just me looking for the historical impact and other people don't mind modern looking rooms. The reception area seemed historic and there was a lovely old winding stone staircase you could walk up and down which was fun. We paid £135 for bed and breakfast and had come away for our anniversary but I would not eat in the Restaurant because the only main meal for vegetarians was tagliatelle and I will not pay to eat a pasta dish which I find very boring. The lounge menu was not much better with the only choice for vegetarians being warm goats cheese, dried cranberries, beetroot and quinoa for £10.95 - not all vegetarians eat so weirdly. Also on the lounge menu for meat eaters was sausages and mash (£10.95), fish and chips (£10.50) and burger and chips (£10.95), vegetarians can eat all 3, using vegetarian sausages, burgers or as I have had before haloumi cheese in batter as a pretend fish, who seriously wants to eat goats cheese and quinoa!!!! I had rang before coming, realised there was nothing I liked to eat and we had Sunday lunch out, we ended up having tea and scones for 2 for £11 and this served as our evening meal after a filling lunch. Breakfast was good and filling, staff lovely, gardens great but could do with some benches around for people who want to sit on their own. We did have a lovely break, recommended for people who are not as passionate about historical houses as I am and for people who eat meat.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rainbirds
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Rainbirds,

Thank you for your review and helpful comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the stay and the charm of this beautiful old and historic building.

When you visit us again you will be pleasantly surprised to find that we offer three menus for guests to choose from ranging from the a la carte menu to more casual terrace and bar dining. I am positive with the range of dishes and menus there is always something there to suit everyone's pallet.

I guess now you will definitely have to return soon to put my words to the test! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Michael and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Staff were very helpful and attentive, garden rooms need refurbishment, this is ongoing, so will look forward to returning one day. Restaurant a la carte menu was inspiring and the food was excellent, breakfast, very nice with locally sourced produce. Beautiful setting & very peaceful. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Lharris84
Dear Lharris84,

We are all very grateful for your kind review and really pleased you enjoyed your stay!

We will certainly be continuing in our quest to improve and refurbish the hotel as we go along too.

I hope you will be visiting us again soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

As you enter the beautiful old manor house,you expect for the bedroom to match up to this,sadly they do not!firstly we were directed to go to room 30,we had to walk downstairs and for quite a way then realised we were entering a new build part of the hotel.this annoyed us as we had not chosen a historic building as our hotel only to stay in an added on bit that's like any other red brick travel inn.without yet seeing the room we thought we would ask if there was a chance of swapping to a room in the old part of the house.the lady at the desk didn't mind looking and said there was but as they were superior rooms,there would be a charge which she would do at £15 pp rather than £20 due to it being late availability.don't hotels usually offer upgrades free if they wouldn't have sold this room anyway that night?so we were off again to trek upstairs and getting lost (the signs are not in the right places)carrying heavy bags didn't help us to feel this was a good way to begin our stay.finally reaching the room,the door looked as if it had previously been crow-barred open.then inside the bed was low&covered in a wrinkly duvet with no interesting decoration to the room or bespoke/boutique feel touches e.g.plush cushions,lamps,bed spread.it had no features which made it obvious we were in the old part of the house apart from one small stone window.the walls were simply painted and again looked tired.it was a plain white,bedroom. We were not going to pay extra to stay here.we decided to to back to the original room.this room was the same.I think the bathroom in the other was what made it better.our bathroom was like a hospital bathroom.it felt clinical and had dated shower with grimy seals. The walls had marks and cracks&the headboard was made up of 2 very battered leather pads hanging from a pole.very odd.caravan style wardrobe unit&lighting&then 2 out of place metal extending lamps which again made us feel like we were in a hospital bed,as side lamps,all added to the oddness.the view was stunning however &thank goodness we had that.after looking on the internet and pics&a long drive down,overall we felt that we had been led to believe we were coming to something more special&of a higher standard.breakfast was good but overall we felt let down.we were considering a b&b nearby and we could see pictures of the actual room we would have stayed in and it was £20 cheaper.this was of a much greater standard and I think this hotel needs to compete with this if they don't want business going away.we have done b&bs before and wanted the experience of this house but apart from the view and reception it was like any basic hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear mad dyrol22,

Thank you for your thorough and elaborate assessment of the room (I appreciate the time and effort you must have put into writing this)

I am truly sorry the room was not to your liking but this is very useful information to have to pass on to our interior decorator who is currently carrying out our refurbishment.

Michael
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Myself and partner were attending a wedding in Tetbury and after searching the internet for accommodation we came across the Stonehouse Court Hotel in Stonehouse which looked fantastic so we booked a spacious double room for two nights a few months in advance to secure a room for the wedding.

After a long journey via public transport from Chislehurst in Kent, we were relieved when we finally arrived and were looking forward to checking in and seeing the room.

The receptionist (who was lovely) informed us that there had been a glitch with the room and that unfortunately the spacious double that we had booked was now no longer available, however, there was a twin room we could have and the hotel would knock some money of the stay and also the receptionist asked if we were staying for dinner (we were) so she mentioned that she would speak to the deputy manager about also letting us have the meal on the house as an apology.

We agreed that we would stay in the twin room as there were no other rooms available that night (there was a wedding party staying) and we went off to find room 29.

When I walked into room I was shocked to find that it smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke and also a substance that should not be smoked. Also there was stains on the carpet and a stain on the wall that looked like something had been spilled and not wiped up. There was no way we could stay in there the smell was so strong that it was making my eyes sting.

I phoned reception and asked the receptionist in come down to investigate.

I explained that we would not be happy to stay in that room and that I didn’t even want to unpack and risk my clothes becoming smelly. She said that they had one more room available for that night which was room 13. This room was tiny with a large single bed in it. The lady said we could have this room for free of charge. We agreed as really there was no other option. That night in the restaurant the staff were brilliant and gave us a stunning 3 course meal and bottle of wine on the house.

For our final night we were moved to room 2 which had a 4-poster bed and was a very spacious room. I think the staff handled the situation as best as they could, however, I do not understand why we were moved in the first place after booking well in advance and why we were taken to a room that had clearly not been checked to see that it was ready for guests. I have never been taken to a room that smelt so strongly before. The whole situation was very stressful on what was meant to be a very enjoyable weekend away.

Room Tip: Room 2 was stunning avoid room 13 and room 29
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen C
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Helen C,

I am truly sorry we made a mistake with your reservation. This is certainly not the scenario we want our guests to arrive to when coming on a relaxing weekend away. You have my sincerest apologies and had I know the full extent of our errors you would have heard from me sooner.

We do have a non - smoking policy throughout the entire hotel but sadly some guests, though few and far between, do not consider themselves to be included in such policies which leaves us picking up the pieces afterwards and often having to book an effected room off for days before being able to let it out again.

On the positive side I am happy to hear you received good service throughout your stay. The team has indeed been working hard to achieve consistently high standards so it is always a pleasure for them to get such positive comments - thank you.

Finally with reference to progressing high standards in the bedrooms I am delighted to say we have a new Head Housekeeper joining us in May to consolidate the areas in which we may be letting ourselves down on occasion.

I will be in contact with you personally to invite you back so that you may get the relaxing weekend experience you were after and should have received in the first place.

Michael
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay, first impressions good but as walked further into the hotel to our bedroom which was a Garden Room noticed things that required refurbishment. Service good, canal walk near the hotel gardens which is a must but there is a railway line nearby.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear VJ1,

Thank you for your kind review. We entirely agree that one or two more rooms still need refurbishment and I am really pleased to say the room you stayed in is on the list! We have refurbished 10 rooms now with three remaining to do so all very exciting!

Thankfully the railway line some distance from the property is not a main line and is very rarely used. In fact in all the time I have worked at this stunning property I have never heard or seen a train so we are still blessed with the peace ad tranquility that one experiences in a Country House Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you received great service form our team and I hope we will see you back - perhaps even in the same room once it has been refurbished so you can write a comparison on Trip Advisor which would be good.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for writing this kind review.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nice old manor house. Very good service from all the staff - was very impressed. Relaxing gardens and easy to pop out to the canal running along the back of the hotel. We ate an evening meal and breakfast in the hotel - was very good. We stayed in the annexe of the hotel - dated decor and fittings. TV was old cathode ray one and shower was not good at all. If you can try to stay in the manor house until they update the annexe rooms.

Room Tip: stay in the old manor rather than the new bit
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Aer197,

Thank you for your kind remarks about our service and we are very happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

We are working on systematically replacing those old retro TVs for nice new Flatscreen versions. This will not only serve to improve the quality of our bedrooms and decor but also make them a lot easier to move around to clean!

On a slightly more serious note though your feedback is very helpful and I am pleased to say that since the refurbishment began we now have some wonderful bedrooms in our Garden section of the hotel with stunning views over the Cotswold Hills and the Stroudwater Canal. I hope you will return soon so you can experience one of these rooms for yourselves and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had a package wedding on a discount offer. The wedding planner, Fred, was really good and helpful. He was also very pro-active in suggesting and offering extra services free of charge. Thank you!! Will definitely suggest you guys!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JohannesV,

Thank you for the great feedback and needless to say we are all thrilled that you have such a wonderful experience at this beautiful venue. The team are all delighted to read this feedback and it means a lot to all of us to know how special your day turned out yo be.

We hope to see you both soon (certainly before the anniversary please!)

Michael and Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonehouse
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Cotswold Grange Hotel
Cotswold Grange Hotel
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!