“A Gem in the Cotswolds”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Stratford upon Avon
“A Gem in the Cotswolds”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a 2 night break with my partner and had a wonderful time. The room although not modern was comfortable warm and very clean and had all the facilities we needed.

We found the hotel very easy to get to and once there enjoyed its location and gardens which back onto a canal. The food was scrumpious and very well presented. We did plan on eating out on the 2nd night but decided to stay and enjoy the hotels menu again.

The hotel is a little warn in some areas, however the warmth of the welcome and service we received by all the staff added to our overall great experience.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we have taken advantage of the very reasonable Christmas package that the hotel is offering and are look forward to our retun visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and what a delightful review. The whole team are all very grateful for this positive feedback. We have a team here that from top to bottom and bottom to top always try to exceed guests expectations and though we don't get everything right all of the time we do aim to provide all of our guests with a warm and comfortable stay. I am so pleased that you experienced this during your stay.

Just as well we are easy to get to because we are looking forward to seeing you back for Christmas - toasty logs fires, warm mulled wine and festivities await!

Michael and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just stayed two nights at Stonehouse Court the room I stayed in was in the annex at the rear of the hotel which is basically a budget hotel extension to a lovely looking frontage, my room was on the ground floor and very cold, I had to ask at reception for a heater to be left in the room, a colleague staying in another room wrote please clean me in the dust on the dressing table and also complained about the cleanliness of the room, you also have to pay extra if you want to connect to the hotels wi fi, the tea & coffee were not replenished during my two night stay nor were the toiletries even though I asked at reception for this nothing was done.
On the second morning after receiving my breakfast I noticed the black pudding was missing and the breakfast was smaller than the day before, when I pointed out the missing black pudding I was told that the kitchen had run out of this item which I accepted, I then cut into my sausage to find that it was not cooked on the inside, I pointed this out and refused the offer of having it reheated and asked that the breakfast be removed, I was sat with colleagues waiting for them to finish when the next table received their breakfast complete with black pudding, I did not mind the missing breakfast item but I did mind being lied to by a member of staff, I expressed all my concerns to the receptionist when checking out but did not consider the response to be sufficient or reassuring, I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I do not usually get defensive in my responses and though I acknowledge we did make some basic silly errors during your stay I would like to respond to your review as follows.

- Your colleague did not write "CLEAN ME" in any dust. When my Head Housekeeper and Front Office Manager heard this they immediately inspected the room in question to find it was not the case.
- There was a thin layer of linen fiber dust on the mirror and lamp stand but this was accumulated over one day or less and was by no means a thick coat that could be "written" in.

- The breakfast was served and we sincerely apologize that your sausage was underdone. We serve thousands of sausages every year and this is the very first complaint we have ever had. In fact the sausages we serve for breakfast are premium Gloucester Old Spot Pork sausages which I suspect is not standard fayre at many hotels..

- The breakfast supervisor did attend your complaint immediately. He offered to take the entire breakfast away and replace it with one cooked from scratch. This offer was declined.

- We are not in the habit of lying to guests and the black pudding was a genuine mistake.

- your complaint was logged and although I was off on the day it was flagged to me immediately upon my return to work.

- I called your office at the first opportunity I had to apologize in person; I then followed that up with a letter of apology to the same office the very same day.

- We do genuinely care about our guests as clearly demonstrated by our reaction to your complaint long before your Trip TripAdvisor review was published.

WiFi - we definitely do not charge for WiFi. This is a complimentary service to all guests including our Corporate Guests because we appreciate that the modern corporate person needs an environment that satisfies their demands so we made a decision to offer it for free. You were not charged for WiFi.

Finally (and thank you for bearing with me) the annex is (in some areas) in need of some TLC. I have stated this openly and honestly to your company and on Trip TripAdvisor on previous occasions BUT the faults are minor in a few rooms which does not detract from the overall stay. These will be rectified in a rolling refurbishment program already under way. Despite these minor discrepancies our guest experience in enhanced overall by our wonderful setting and great atmosphere and service from a team does care.

Yours sincerely,

london
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Value for money family friendly Pleasant staff Breakfast Very good value for money Easy access to Gloucester Cheltenham racecourse easy access to M5 Motorway This place has a very good gym Step outside the hotel walk along the river bank and meet the lovely pleasant people

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank supermumjames
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to see your feedback and how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree the location is lovely and the views from the hotel make you feel a part of the countryside. You will be pleased to know that we have additional plans to make the section of the canal frontage adjacent to the hotel even more accessible and nicely groomed for next summer.

We hope to see you back soon!

Edinburgh
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I recently stayed here for a friend’s wedding and after reading mixed reviews I was a little unsure what to expect. I’m pleased to say it was better than expected.
As people have said before the annex needs some work doing it too it. We were in room 22 and there was a very large crack in the bathroom ceiling and some of the wiring could do with looking at however it was clean, had a comfy bed, good views of the garden and a nice shower. There was a mishap with giving someone else our room but it was quickly sorted and laughed away by all.
The food during our stay was good and I would definitely eat there again. I would stay there again but make sure it was in main house.
The wedding went very well, smoothly run and the team had a good handle on things.

If I could I’d give it an overall of 3 ½ out of 5.

Room Tip: The main house!! If in the annex get a garden view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank M R
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that overall you stay with us was comfortable and the food enjoyed by all. I am pleased to say that we have just launched new menus as well making the food offering at Stonehouse Court better than ever!

I am sorry about the small indiscretions in the rooms and we are under way with a program to tackle all the details you refer to as part of an ongoing refurbishment program over the next 12 months.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and I am really pleased you have commented that you would stay with us again. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back!

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The mixed reviews here made me hesitate booking for a last minute break - but the choice proved to be a good one and good value. Room 43 - albeit quite a way down and through the annex corridors - was very pleasant with an outstanding view from the big corner picture window. Those annex rooms that look onto the garden with picture windows are very appealing -( not so sure I would have felt the same about those facing the other way). I would suggest that the heating did not need to be turned full in the room for us or for energy saving purposes. Staff all pleasant and helpful - particularly in the restaurant. Food good although not outstanding. Always a shame when it's tinned mushrooms for breakfast - when it takes hardly any extra effort (or cost?) to serve the real thing. (NB - don't restock the breakfast buffet from tatty old margarine tubs!) but it was tasty, hot and plentiful. The walk beyond the garden gate was a delight. See pic. Some more readily available information on the history of the house would have been welcome. Overall we were very pleased. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and I have made a note of the areas we can improve on. I am pleased that you decided to visit us though and that you found the hotel, service and bedroom to your liking. The views do make the rooms very special indeed!

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having read a number of different reviews, some good, some bad, decided to go ahead with the booking and see for ourselves as pictures of the old hotel looked good. Upon arrival, receptionist noted we were booked into a twin room, and would we like a double room. After accepting the offer we were asked if we would like a room overlooking the garden which we accepted. After a considerable walk to the hotel extension, we found our room, which was overlooking the rear garden and church.
The room, fairly large, was rather dated, with magnolia emulsioned walls and a faded green carpet with stains under the windows. For the cost of our stay, a visit to B & Q for a tin of paint and to Carpetright would brighten up the room in half a day. Curtains were in need of new hooks in places as had broken. Bed was comfortable and no problem with the bath/shower room.
Welcome tray with one pack biscuits to share.
Slept well and fairly quiet. Breakfast was fine with hot and cold buffet. Checkout was quick.

Room Tip: Ask for a room if in extension overlooking the rear garden
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike K
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Mike,

I appreciate the comments in your review.

The walk from the main hotel to the garden wing, though relatively long but not overly so, does expose you some lovely views of the grounds and gardens and the views from our garden rooms overlooking Stroud Valley Canal and the Cotswold countryside and tranquil hills beyond are lovely and this I hope makes the walk worthwhile.

You will also be delighted to know that we have already embarked on a program of refubishment of the rooms in this wing and this will continue for a period until the rooms you refer to are completely refubished by mid 2013 and indeed carpets, paint, furnishings and fixtures are all on the agenda for that particular wing to bring then in line with the high standards to which we are aspining.

I hope you will join us again in a few months to see the difference!

Michael
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My (now) Wife & I looked at a few local venues before deciding on having our Wedding at Stonehouse Court Hotel. From the moment I turned into the long drive & approached the main hotel I was impressed. The grounds were well kept on every visit we made & the opportunity to get married outside by a lovely Cotswold stone summer house really sounded great.

On our first & subsequent visits to the hotel we were always offered tea & coffee & felt very well looked after. Mary our wedding co-ordinator was always very helpful & guided us through the planning of the wedding in a welcoming and professional manner & showed a keen interest in making sure we had a special day which we appreciated. Mary even made the point of introducing us to Russell who would be looking after our wedding on the day.

The wedding day came & I arrived with my best man – Russell greeted us at the entrance and explained what would be happening before the bride arrived & throughout the day – this put my mind at ease & although it was a little overcast we got married outside – the chairs were perfectly set up before our guests arrived & everything looked great!

The ceremony itself went smoothly & we then had drinks served on the terrace whilst the main room was prepared for our wedding breakfast. The food was cooked to perfection & we were very happy with all of the staff who helped out with this – very polite & friendly with a professional approach.

The main room was then prepared for the evening reception whilst our guests enjoyed tea & coffee & a walk in the lovely grounds in & around the hotel. We were really impressed with the level of detail for the table set ups for the day & evening reception – it all looked really good & guests commented on how it was a such a lovely place & atmosphere.

The evening reception went well & all guests had a great time & most had a dance (luckily!). We had given specific instructions on placing certain items in different places of the rooms – we even changed this slightly on the day & nothing was a problem for Russell – he was extremely helpful throughout the whole day & night. Although it was a Sunday & im sure Mary was on a day off she popped into the hotel for something & made a point of coming over to see how it was all going & congratulate us.

We had a lovely room which was very well presented, breakfast was fantastic & the hotel agreed to let us eat after normal breakfast time so our guests could all be together. We had a lovely day & night at the hotel. As with everything there were a couple of minor issues along the way but these were resolved in a friendly & professional manner & as a result of our overall wedding & stay I would highly recommend the hotel as a Wedding venue & would like to thank Mary,Russell & all the staff for making our day one to remember.
Thanks again,
Leigh G

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leigh G
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Guests,

The whole team and I are delighted that we were able to play a part in making your day so special and that the venue and grounds made for the perfect backdrop. The whole team take pride in making our guests feel welcome and we are all especially pleased you experienced this on your Wedding Day.

We are very grateful for your kind words and your complimentary feedback is much appreciated.

Michael and Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonehouse
Cotswold Grange Hotel
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 23 in Cheltenham
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!