“Highly recommended, everything went well.”
Review of Edale House

Edale House
Ranked #2 of 4 Parkend B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a very pleasant guest house at Parkend in the Forest of Dean and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Availability is shown on line and it’s easy to book. My ‘special request’ was acknowledged in a personal email as well as the automatic confirmation. The web site could show the location more clearly – it’s next to the Woodman Inn, which another guest told me did good evening meals.

We were greeted very nicely, shown around and helped with our bags.

The room was excellent and the standard double bed very comfortable. There was adequate storage, seating and television with Freeview channels, as well as a clock radio. We had a shower and toilet, and a second bathroom with a bath. One problem was that the shower did not always have enough water pressure to spray at all or for the heating element to work, while at other times it would suddenly get very hot. Presumably these occasions are when other guests are also running water. Toiletries were fine, though there was no ‘bubble bath’, and the towels were large and soft. There were facilities for making a range of hot drinks.

There is a good-sized residents’ lounge, available at all hours, with comfortable chairs and a good range of books and games. The garden is available for use and is a good size. There are several bird feeders, viewable from some of the dining room tables.

Breakfast is superb. You help yourself to fresh fruit, including a huge bowl of mixed fresh berries when we were there, juices, cereals, fruit or plain yogurt and pastries. If you’re still hungry, the full range of cooked breakfast is available, using excellent local ingredients; the eggy bread was excellent! There are home cooked preserves for the toast, and fresh decaff is available.

The hosts, Terry and Jane, were very friendly and helpful, providing slices of lemon on request and letting us store some perishable food stuffs in their fridge.

One surprise when I came to pay was that the reservation, which I had with me, told me I had paid a 50% deposit and only the balance was due. However, the whole balance had to be paid and, while I am not suggesting that I was double charged, if you are told your card has already been debited it is somewhat disconcerting to be asked for the full amount and could have been embarrassing if I had intended to pay with cash. Fortunately, they accept a wide range of payment methods, although this isn’t mentioned on the web site.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Edale House

Reviewed February 11, 2011

On arrival at Edale house we were welcomed warmly by Jane and Terry Regan. It is a spacious homely house with a warm feel to it. Our first room was lovely, however I personally am not comfortable using a toilet across the hallway. Jane and Terry were most accommodating and showed us to another double room, en suite.

We were offered coffee in the lounge, which was ‘real’ coffee in a cafetiere, served with delicious slices of cakes. The lounge and dining room are well set out and very comfortable, with lots of interesting pictures, photographs (some of a safari in Africa – it was great hearing about the couple’s trip) books and information leaflets. There is also a ‘wet room’ where you can store bikes, wet clothing etc – great for the walkers among us in the Great British weather – yes it was raining!!

After chatting for a while, I was really touched when Jane and Terry offered us their Super King Deluxe Double room (at no extra cost), because it was my Birthday! And what I room – the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!!

Although Jane and Terry have not been in Edale House for long, they certainly know the area well and were so helpful with suggestions for walks and pubs (we opted for the Woodman next door – superb atmosphere and very good food!). The couple have a superb idea of letting their customers bring take aways in to eat in the dining room!!

Breakfast is served in the dining room where you have a selection of cereals and juices, tea and coffee. The cooked breakfast is superb, cooked to order – the bacon is a MUST, hand sliced by an 80 year old butcheress!!

Jane and Terry suggested a few walks for us to do on the Sunday, and even printed out a map for us!

All in all we had a super time at Edale House and the surrounding area, and will definitely stay here again, and recommend it to friends and family.

Thank you both for your superb hospitality!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Stayed Four nights over the May Bank Holiday: Pat & Brian gave us a very warm welcome, and the rooms and bedding were spotless. The choice of items at breakfast were excellent, from fresh fruit to a full "English" .

It is central for most of the cycle and walking routes in the Forest, and Park End is the Northern terminal for the "Forest of Dean Railway".

The only downside is no mobile signal.

I.B Berkshire May 2010

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Stayed here for one night over Xmas/New Year.

Owners were exceptionally friendly and helpful (offered a cup of tea on our arrival whilst showing us around the accommodation)

Rooms were lovely. Ours even had two towelling bath robes!

There was also a well stocked bar which you could help yourself to, and then just write down your items taken on a pad next to the bar. How smart is that!

Pub next door

Really couldn't fault it at all. Exceptional value

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed here for just one night and had the deluxe double room which included a shower stall and full bath in it's own separate room. The room was clean, spacious and had a tea/coffee tray with biscuits. There was a TV with the four basic channels as well as an alarm clock.

Downstairs there was a lounge with loads of local hiking/biking/ tourist information including nearby places to dine as well as a mini bar stocked with fresh milk for your tea or other drinks to purchase (wine, beer juice, etc).

The breakfast included cereals, yogurt, juice, tea, coffee, fresh fruit salad, and a range of cooked options. Vegetarian options are also available. The bread was fresh and the food very good!

The towels and bed linens were of a very nice quality and it was very peaceful and quiet. I didn't even need my usual earplugs to get a solid night of sleep.

Pat and her husband were very pleasant and helpful. I would certainly return!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CA_expat
Reviewed May 1, 2007

This small bed and breakfast is in the heart of the beautiful Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. My room was large and comfortable. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful. The most memorable thing about my stay was the breakfasts! I don’t usually have a cooked breakfast, but I couldn’t resist here. The sausages are made by the owner, the bacon is from a local butcher, it’s all very delicious. I’d thoroughly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank chalkhills
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkend
The Speech House Hotel
#2 of 11 in Coleford
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 11 in Coleford

Been to Edale House? Share your experiences!