“A retreat in the hills of Gloucs”
Review of Cowley Manor

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights last week.
It is a lovely old house but very quirky inside. The rooms had apparently been stripped out when it was used as a care home. So the designers came up with some great furniture,furnishings and art.
There are lots of areas to chill out in or have a snack or more formal meal.
We had a gorgeous room in the stable block which was huge with a sitting area. The large bath and shower were up stairs.

The staff were friendly and extremely efficient.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely.

The Spa is also great with a huge indoor pool and also an outdoor heated pool.

There are great walks in the grounds which has many lakes.

I cannot recommend this hotel more highly.
We will be back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: The stable block rooms are great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had an overnight stay in what we were told was a "better" room (we had the option of good or better as we were travelling with our dog), room 14 which was perfectly acceptable and with the best stocked minibar/treat bar that I have seen. I see from other reviews that some people travelling with a dog also enjoyed a separate lounge area, which would have been nice as although the room was acceptable, it certainly wasn't huge. There was an exceptionally large mezzanine bathroom, with a huge shower, bath and double sinks. We had room service for both dinner and breakfast and the service was exceptional and the food equally good. A really nice touch was the small gift left by the hotel manager for my special birthday. The hotel grounds are superb and the staff very attentive. We were welcomed by complimentary lemon tea and hot hand towels to refresh us from our journey. I would have probably rated the stay as exceptional but for a couple of minor niggles: we were told that for the £25.00 dog charge we would be provided with a dog bed and dog treats - we didn't get either of these. There was an envelope in our bedroom with all the spa booking confirmations for all other guests which was obviously left by mistake, neither of which were an issue, however the email we received on departure accusing us of removing £17 worth of goods from the minibar without payment was a bit of a sting in the tail - particularly as we had declared them and paid for them before we left. We did get an apology but it just left a bit of a sour taste on what was a good experience. Having said that the service before we arrived and during our stay was exceptional and I would certainly recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: The stable block rooms have direct access to outside, which is useful if you are travelling with a d...
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our second time at Cowley and I enjoyed it even more this time, 10 years on. The decor still looks wonderful and the setting is great. Definitely worth spending a bit extra to get an amazing room if you can. My only negative comment is that I was given several pieces of wrong information by the reception staff who seemed a bit dippy in comparison to the rest.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Mu husband, 4 month old daughter and I spent this past weekend at Cowley Manor. And we were blown away by the standard of service, the opulence of the accommodation and the quality of Cowley Manor.

We arrived at lunchtime and our room was not ready. But this was not a problem at all. We were escorted by a lovely member of staff to the bar where we enjoyed a fabulous lunch, served by 2 very friendly and professional members of staff.

When we were shown to our room at the check-in time of 3pm, we were gobsmacked by the size of our room and the absolute opulence of the massive bathroom with its Swedish-style walk-in shower and the separate large bath. Not only this, but we had asked prior to our arrival for a basin in our room so we could sterilise our daughter's bottles. We didn't receive a basin. Instead we were treated to a brand new Philips electric steriliser. What wonderful service.

Our stay was very enjoyable. The food was impressive - we dined in the restaurant on the Friday night (there were only praises, no complaints) and enjoyed the plentiful breakfasts. I can heartily recommend the French toast with male syrup. And how lovely it was to finally find a hotel that gives you proper sized glasses for your morning juice.

If I have one little niggle it was that because our room was on the top floor, it was incredibly warm and there was no air conditioning to cool the room down.

We would have liked to have experienced more of what the hotel has to offer but we were in the area for my sister's wedding so were otherwise occupied. Yet we would return to Cowley Manor in a heartbeat.

I would like to give a special mention to each and every member of staff we encountered. They were helpful, professional, friendly and incredibly welcoming. They make Cowley Manor the gorgeous retreat it is.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank GildaNI
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight on the eve of my wife's 60th birthday en route to Bournemouth. We arrived from Lancashire at 8pm and I had booked dinner for 8:30. Booking in was relaxed and we were escorted to one of the rooms in the stable block with a separate sitting area opening on to a courtyard and a mezzanine bathroom. ( Room 9).
Dinner was excellent with a reasonably priced wine. Although there were plenty of expensive bottles for the more discerning, I thoroughly enjoyed the Australian red that we consumed.
The room is interestingly designed with large bath and excellent separate shower and if we had been staying longer the little sitting room would have been appreciated more.
Most importantly all the staff were very pleasant and smiling and only too happy to help. As I was trying to find the right size Wellies from the huge number available to borrow at 07:30 when I was going to take our dog around the grounds, a young staff member either knocking off after night duty or going on an errand, turned back from his car to give me a hand and then returned to his vehicle and drove off.
No one ever mentioned a check out time or put us under any pressure that morning and we had a relaxed breakfast between 9 and 10 am before a short walk of the immediate grounds and a mooch round the little shop so that we left at about 11am.
I could see the indoor and outdoor pool being used when the ambient climate was murky from the Saharan dust cloud and temperature 12 Celsius - so I deduce the outside pool was adequately heated.
I heartily recommend the hotel midweek and only regret that my mother is no longer alive to take her there because she was a pupil at the manor 1940-45 and had fore told me about it without knowing it had become a hotel

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We visited Cowley Manor as a family (kids, 12 & 14), my wife and I. We had a very large room in the old stable building. Very clean, comfortable and posh. We liked it. The food was good (breakfast & dinner), the grounds are very beautiful and the whole property is just charming.

My only caveat is that it's not really a kid-friendly hotel. Sure, they'll gladly accept children but we were there for 4 nights and not once did the staff make an effort to remember our names, our preferences and so on... Having said this, it's a wonderful property. Simply not my favorite of our trip last summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Superb and unique. We stayed two nights and I can honestly say that this is one of the best experiences of a hotel/spa that I have ever had. Cowley Manor is tucked away in a tiny village, away from the hustle and bustle. Combining a lovely old manor house building and stable block with modern, stylish, comfortable design and chic but unpretentious and warm atmosphere and a superb spa/pool area. There are large, lovely gardens also. The main building has a grand sandstone facade – and inside is a combination of original features and Swedish style modern design, with relaxing areas and a bar and separate restaurant etc. We stayed in a room titled ‘exceptional’, in the coach house, just in front of the main building. The bedroom had a large floor area, and was very comfortable, with a separate, private balcony which had loungers and chairs. The room included a king sized bed, plenty of pillows, large soft cotton towels, robes, a bath area in the room with separate shower/loo, tea/coffee, a kettle, real coffee maker, mini bar and fridge, large television, bose docking station, CD player, and like the rest of the hotel, the room was stylish, clean and well maintained. It is clear that the owners have made a considerable investment in the building and all of the facilities. Some ‘coach house’ type buildings in hotels pale in comparison to the main building – however, the out buildings accommodation at Crowley was part of the original set of buildings and so blends in very well. It is also just a few yards from the stunning spa and pool(s). Entering the spa, we were handed robes and towels and there is a very relaxed and warm atmosphere, with a sitting area (food and drinks can be ordered), great steam room, gym, sauna and two pools – an indoor 17 mtr pool, which has a slate lining and a properly heated outdoor pool. This area of the hotel is really impressive architecturally. The spa and pools are open nearly all day until late in the evening – and were never crowded. . There are treatments available. I have never been to a hotel with a better spa/pool area. I did read a review that suggested it was ‘dingy’ – I find this astonishing, as it is so far from the truth. The staff in the hotel were warm and accommodating – efficient but not intrusive. The owners seemed to have a very clear idea of what they want to achieve in terms of atmosphere and service. We didn’t eat in the restaurant, however, the bar area serves food all day and evening – the food was fresh, well prepared and stylish/unpretentious. Breakfast was very good – a buffet for cereals, fresh fruit etc and waiter service for cooked – which was very good indeed. At £155 a night including breakfast – the hotel was very good value. Congratulations to the staff and owners.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#6 of 6 in Broadway
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!