Cowley Manor
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
No 131(Cheltenham)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsstable blockexceptional roomoutdoor poolthe main housespa treatmentsgrounds are amazingcountry househuge bathroomspa areachanging roomsgreat spasteam roomafternoon teagreen dragonromantic breakspecial occasionlittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Cowley Spa is consistently good. The 2 swimming pools the centre piece, and a sensitive policy on child use, so you can swim quietly without children from 5pm. But in fact the pools are usually pretty quiet.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My other half bought me to Cowley for my birthday. We arrived in perfect bank holiday weather to this stunning location and enjoyed a Pims and a sharing platter on the terrace overlooking the gorgeous grounds. We had a stunning room in the stable block on three floors the middle of which was dominated by the most fantastic bathtub. We had a perfect stay the breakfast, restaurant and spa were all first class and reasonably priced. We've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world but I have to say I've rarely found a hotel so relaxing and the staff as accommodating. They even gave me a set if their lovely toiletries as a present.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Michelle7568
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have been to Cowley several times now and I felt it was time I left a review. Our stay was as always lovely: incredibly relaxing and a real break away from our busy lives. The rooms are all amazing, with everything you could think of and more (especially now they have tea & coffee facilities in the room with fresh milk). So much thought has gone into the design and the options available to make your stay even more of a treat. The spa/pool area looks like a real retreat and is again beautifully designed and their Green & Spring products are available to use afterwards in the changing areas.

This time we stayed whilst I am in the last stages of my pregnancy and there was a really thoughtful gift in my room to celebrate. I felt really spoiled. I had booked a spa treatment as well as a last pre-baby treat and this was amazing (ask for Sava - he is very skilled) too. Both me and my partner love drifting away in the slate pool and try and fit a swim in on the day of arrival and departure to make the most of it. We also had dinner there and every course was amazing with use of seasonal food which was special without being overly fussy.

I could go on and on: staff are incredibly helpful and friendly without ever being overbearing. You can do as much or as little as you want, and make use from lots of different areas to suit your mood. I appreciate design is personal, so perhaps some people would expect and prefer something more classic inside, but we love the modern (often continental) yet warm interiors which have clearly been chosen with much love and care. Kids are welcome, adding to the relaxed vibe. Food is all yummy with lots of choice and some very reasonably priced. You can borrow music and DVDs as well as wellies and an umbrella if you fancy a walk around the luscious grounds in the rain. Staying here is a lot of money for us so has to remain a special treat only but I still feel it is worth what you pay for, especially when you book a deal or package.

If I could afford to I would go here once every month just to unwind and recharge. It is genuinely one of my favourite places to go as it suits both me and my partner's taste and preferences (very rare).

If I would have to name one point of criticism it is that 'toast' with breakfast to order means a (nice) piece of toast on your plate with whatever you have ordered on top. Yet separate toast with plenty of real butter on the side is so much better again. Although you can always ask (staff very helpful) I do not understand why this is not served as such as standard. This time I noticed several people asking for toast on the side after their breakfast came out, so perhaps something they may want to consider.

But this is not an actual negative and if this is the only thing that is not quite perfect then it is obviously nothing. Would recommend this place to everyone, young or old, with or without kids, for an amazing retreat in the most relaxing setting.

Room Tip: Have stayed in 5 different rooms now, have a slight preference for the ones in the main house although the stable block has some of the more exceptional rooms I believe which are of course going to be lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Cowley for three days and never left the grounds. The rooms are heavenly, particularly the bathrooms, complete with CD players and CDs. The food in the restaurant is Michelin level and the dining room is beautiful. The spa is a little haven tucked away from any wind or chills. The slate pool is stunning, as is the entire resort. The service is excellent. We love the entire place!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were given dinner and a night in an exceptional room, by our children, as a Ruby anniversary present. On arrival we were upgraded to the best room in the house with a bottle of 'bubbles on ice' in the room. We loved the whole experience, just look at the pictures of the "best room". The balcony was huge and the views over the lake and grounds were fabulous. The room and bathroom were extremely spacious and everything so clean, with lovely soft bed linen. The pools, indoor and outdoor and changing rooms were spotless and well maintained with lots of extras provided, even hairspray and cotton buds. Floating on my back, in the heated outdoor pool, looking up at the sky was just bliss! Dinner and breakfast offered a very good selection of dishes and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Even though our stay was short we still managed a couple of walks in the grounds and the snowdrops and hellebores in the grotto area were beautiful to look at and walk through. Our thanks to Elliott Wakefield and all the staff for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple