“Fantastic people, amazing place”
Review of Cowley Manor

Cowley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowley
Bristol, UK
“Fantastic people, amazing place”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place is beautiful, but even if it wasn't I would have no hesitation in recommending it based solely on the customer care I received, and it really was customer care. The staff at Cowley Manor went far beyond customer service. Unfortunately I can't comment on the rooms as I didn't stay at the hotel.

I visited for a spa day following some heavy snow and having been taken down a narrow road by my satnav I soon became stuck. From the moment the staff at Cowley Manor knew I was having difficulties they bent over backwards to help me out. In particular I owe thanks to Deputy General Manager, Helen Chesmore, who came out in her 4x4 to first find me and then - with the help of my friends - to try to move my car. When this didn't work she drove us all back to the hotel and then sent us off to have lunch while she tried to contact some local farmers who might be able to help with a tow. When by the end of lunch (which was delicious, by the way) she hadn't been able to contact the farmers she suggested that we go on to the spa to have our treatments, promising that she would come and find me if she found help. Just before I went in for my massage she came to find me to get my car keys; she had managed to get in touch with two local farmers who were going to do their best to tow my car out of the dip it was stuck in. By the time I had finished my treatment my car was safely in the car park of Cowley Manor.

I don't think anyone visiting Cowley Manor would regret their choice. The areas of the hotel I experienced were stylish and very nicely finished with beautiful grounds. The food was delicious and reasonably priced, and our waiter was very pleasant and accomodating . The spa had excellent facilities, including an outdoor heated pool, and my massage was perfect (thanks to Emma who calmed me down after a stressful couple of hours). But it really was the staff (and the two local farmers) who made it truly excellent, and I really can't thank any of them enough.

I am planning to go back soon - though hopefully in less wintery conditions - and I have no doubt that Cowley Manor will be just as perfect the second time as it was the first.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
london
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I just spent the weekend with friends at Cowley Manor, and had to write a review.
The rooms were excellent and well stocked with all necessities catered for.
Of special mention for those who love bathrooms, were the bathrooms! Amazing!
The rooms were simply but tastefully decorated. Well thought out colour scheme.
The staff were professional and friendly, and nothing was ever too much.
Special note was Eva at reception and Jilly in the spa, both were lovely.
The grounds and the church just added to the enchantment.
Definitely will suggest a visit.

Room Tip: The stable block rooms very spacious, and private.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

There are no shortage of great places to stay and things to do in the Cotswold but Cowley Manor has everything - mix of past and present (beautiful old manor with fun contemporary interiors and spa), stunning gardens and grounds, great rooms and all with extremely friendly and helpful staff on top.
The restaurant isn't bad either - tradtional british food but all local sourced and cooked to a high standard - make sure you don't miss breakfast!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingswood, Wotton-under-Edge.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our latest visit to Cowley Manor was inbetween Christmas & New Years, a little escape from the children for a night ! From the moment you turn off the main road to drive down the beatuiful senic driveway, you see the stuning grounds, where you can put on a pair of Cowley owned Hunters and go for a walk in the most vast and rustic Cotsworld grounds. The Spa is fantastic and what it should be, relaxing. This first our first point of call, just float around in the heated outdoor pool and then in the slate grey indoor pool !
You will feel parts of you body relaxing you didn't even realise were tense !
Not only is the Spa wonderful, with a big Gym, Sauna and Steam room, you can have many different treatments, snacks, drinks, and just a little sleep listening to the water as it laps over the edge of the indoor infitenity style pool. Even though the hotel was fully booked, it felt like there was nobody around.
The rooms are fun to explore, tasteful, large and never disappointing. We had a town house style room which was a 'Better Room' this visit but have stayed in one of their 'Excetptional Rooms' previously. Both were fantastic. Beds are very comy with the plumpest of pillows. Bathrooms extremely clean with largs bath tubs and walk in showers !
You MUST eat at the hotel restuarnt, the moment you walk in, you smell, fresh, organic, beautiful produced food. Every course, every mouthfull, even dowm to the bread broad is how it should be, exquiste! Even when your stomach is saying stop, your can't help but eat more and more.
Your room will have been turned down for you so all you have to do is have a good nights sleep.
Breakfast is again beatuiful, really well cooked, and we like to go to the resturant where you can sit over looking the lovely grounds.
The staff are amazing, so friendly, proffesional and willing to do anything for you. My Husband and I cannot recommend to others enough, what a special out of the world, enhancing place this is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NeilForge
Berkshire
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have stayed here a few times and really enjoyed it although this was mainly in the summer months. Agree with previous reviews the restaurant food was ok not great for the price you pay. The grounds are lovely and it was a relaxing break. Some of the staff are brilliant but some, particularly at the reception area and spa do not make you feel welcome and are almost disinterested in anything you have to say. They have a lovely terrace area but unfortunately do not leave the umbrellas up in the winter months. We still like sitting outside looking at the view even if it is a bit cold. There are also few lights outside so difficult to see and dangerous to walk around. Rooms are nice but tea/coffee making facilities would be great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BerkshireEmma
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Recently me and my wife stayed at Cowley manor for 2 nights!
Firstly the food was awful even McDonald's tastes better!
We were very excited about having treatments at the spa but looking at the treatment menu they didnt have alot to offer we ended up choosing a half hour exfoliation which you have to shower off yourself and having to walk from your treatment room to the changing rooms covered in oily scrub to shower! Also we had a green and spring massage which wasn't a bad treatment although the girl delivering it looked like she hadnt washed her uniform for a week and was very scruffy looking! As for the spa itself was very disconcerting seeing staff mopping floors and cleaning toilets and then serving drinks and food afterwards! The hotel is beautiful however I think management and staff really need to be looked at being served your dinner by some1 with a face like thunder is not a 5* experience!

This is a massive shame as the hotel and grounds could have potential to be amazing!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have enjoyed previous visits here, but this time ( a weekend break) we were disappointed, mainly by the restaurant - we recalled having excellent meals, whereas this time, they were unremarkable, bland with everything tasting the same. Most people on a short break probably want to eat in, so the restaurant needs to up its game. Also the restaurant staff seemed under-trained with little knowledge of the menu, etc. Breakfast was short-staffed so often long delays in getting dishes/ tea etc. We had a courtyard room which was a waste of money as the sitting room was too cold to use. Overall, our sense was of a place which has let standards slip somewhat and which is content to rely on corporate events and weddings for its income.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nollaigbeg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowley
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!