“Good but only up to a point..........................”

Corse Lawn House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corse Lawn
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We spent two nights at this hotel earlier this week and found that our room was well furnished, clean, comfortable and we appreciated the extra personal touches. However, the heating system failed in the room causing it to be unpleasantly cold, the bath hot water tap produced only scalding water, the sink hot water tap produced very little water and throughout both nights the sound of running water kept us awake at different times. Our first evening meal was excellent but expensive. During the meal a loud tactless conversation between the owner, Baba, and some local guests developed concerning shooting rabbits and squirrels, as well as manuring their respective land, which led to our meal being ruined by this intrusive conversation. There was no attempt to greet guests, other than those apparently known to the owner, or offer any basic elements of courtesy despite the image that she promotes of herself on the hotel information. Overall this left us feeling that our time at the Corse Lawn Hotel had been spoilt, despite the excellent service provided by the younger members of the staff. Our complaint about the heating system, etc. was dealt with professionally by the Receptionist but failed to produce any interest or response from the hotel owner or management; such is there interest/concern for the paying guests.

Room Tip: Our room 'Longdon' was in a quiet location despite being at the front of the hotel and near...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Colin S
corselawn, Owner at Corse Lawn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

I am truly sorry if I offended you with my conversation about trying to control rabbits
and squirrels, the last thing I wish to do is upset my customers. I am sorry that a
washer had gone on a tap, and all radiators had been turned off - very careless. we
should do better.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

On arrival at Corse Lawn we were greeted professionally however we were speedily escorted down the corridor to the Bistro, I asked if we could have a drink before going in for our lunch, which we did but within minutes of being seated we were given the menus and our drinks. Once our food order had been taken we were asked to go to the Bistro. The service was very quick I was so looking forward to a relaxing Saturday lunch with my husband.
For starter I had scallops which were £14.50 unfortunately every one of them was very gritty, I mentioned this to the waiter who instead of reporting this to the chef just repeated “gritty” back at me. On finishing our starters our plates were removed from us immediately (practically on our last mouth full).
My husband and I discussed how quick and rushed we were being. The Bistro had only two other tables occupied so they clearly didn't need the tables. I looked at my watch when the main course arrived it was 1.20pm, what's happened to the 20minutes etiquette between courses?
For the main course I had steak which was very tender and succulent only one problem, no steak knife which was given to me once I asked for it. Once finished, on putting my knife and fork down onto my plate (and still chewing my food) the waiter removed our plates, we were immediately asked if we wanted a sweet and coffee, I was so annoyed by the speed of the meal, I asked the waiter if we could have 10mins before ordering our sweets and we would take coffee in the seating area afterwards. Once we had ordered the sweet (yes you've guest it) it was back to us in seconds and the coffee was waiting on the bar!
Our entire meal took approx 1hour. The meal was expensive but we wouldn't of minded had we had the time to talk and relax. We have no desire to go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vs777Gloucestershire

I am really sorry to hear that you found everything too fast - I have noted your comments, put
your review up on the notice board, and think you have a point. Very sorry.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Restaurant and Bistro at the Corse Lawn Hotel offer the finest quality food and presentation alongside excellent service.

My wife and I together with friends keep going back its so good. It is also situated in the lovely Gloucestshire countryside.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Had lunch there yesterday 30/9/2011 with some friends.Service very poor and slow as they have no idea how to serve wine. Food overpriced and to be realistic "not brilliant" and when served was lukewarm. Toast for pate had been made well before and was hard. Wine prices are crazy when they charge £32 for a wine that Majestic sells for £6.95 one has to think again.

Staff nice but really did not seem to have a clue and whilst the owner was sitting at another table she did not appear to have any idea what was going on. Would not go back under any circumstances. Bad mistake.

Peter McNamara

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank peter mcnamara

I don't quite know what to say - its so bad I don't know where to begin. I feel deeply
concerned that we can get it so wrong.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Corse Lawn is a family run hotel in the lovely Gloucestershire countryside. Its positiion means that it is very well placed for a wide range of interesting places, both town and country.
The Hine Family, of brandy fame, have run this hotel for many years, and it hasn't changed much in that period. But that is what marks the place out. It is definitely on the quirky side, and if you want everything in either new or looking like new condition, then don't go to Corse Lawn. The hotel is stuffed with old and antique furniture, some of which (I am thinking about the bedrooms in particular) sometimes seem a bit cranky. The restaurants (there are two, a brasserie style place and a more formal restaurant) are similarly just that little bit on the cranky side but the food is very good and the service is also first class.
Basically, anyone who goes there should take the sometimes high level shabby-chic for what it is.......part of the charm of the place. Some people will love it, others wouldn't. We like the hotel, as another reviewer says, "warts and all".

Room Tip: Difficult to give a tip for a room, it's a bit pot luck
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is a conundrum and writing a review is awkward as there are many good things yet also some pretty shabby things to report. I have stayed here 4 times and on my first visit was an instant fan. The log fire (how precious when so so many places are content with logs and a fake gas flame nowadays) loose tea and a teapot (yes teapots still exist in the UK but most hoteliers forget that) fresh milk in a fridge in the bedroom and a delicious dinner all won me over. But as time passes one sees the cracks and in my view they are the following.
The whole decor is incredibly shabby. Paints in colours not seen since 1985 on the walls (plum and terracotta) and curtains from that era in dusty swathes hang in bedrooms and dining rooms. Televisions come from a bygone age and reception is poor in the area so watching all channels is not always possible. Having had a couple of delightful meals there I am sorry to report that our meals this week could be described as pretty poor. But again the conundrum of the place; delicious canapes are served beforehand then the meal is of another level altogether. Presentation is an issue throughout. I thought I was bad at it but the chef here is worse! A starter of smoked huss looked really unappetising on the plate, Mediterranean fish soup lacked guts and tasted purely of tomato. A pouting in mild curry sauce was virtually inedible due to the chef having poured what appeared to be industrial quantities of curry powder into cream and without tasting it cloaked the dish with it. It was childish cooking at best and could have been sent back. My plaice was the smallest fish I have seen in my fishmonger at home. Not the correct texture but I cannot say why. Maybe overcooking? Old fashioned vegetables were quite tasty. Breakfast follows suit with a perfect mango followed by divine scrambled eggs but served with black pudding that was certainly NOT black pudding. It was a liver concoction that was burnt in the pan and a mound of crumbled vileness on the plate. I like liver but loathed this. Why call it black pudding? Why put it on the plate? Why couldn't the waitress tell me what it was when I enquired? And then the brioches - every single time I have stayed you could play cricket with the brioches. Why serve them? Either buy them in, teach the chef to make a good one or don't do them. It's an anomaly that the family who run the hotel are Anglo/French and yet the chefs certainly cannot make a decent sauce nor a brioche.
HOWEVER rooms are spacious and the atmosphere is very much old fashioned country house hotel and the duck pond is to die for and having tea or wine outside the gorgeous georgian house frontage is worth the stop here and frankly where else is there to go? Give it a try - oh and DO have the English Cheese Trolley. The best I have come across.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

We have gone over all the points that you mentioned, and hopefully addressed them. We
bought a new television, looked into the food, and generally took note.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here overnight and were so impressed that we will make another visit before long. Large airy rooms tastefully furnished, pleasant and efficient service without too much formality. Generous portions of modern British cooking, well presented and an extensive (and not too expensive) wine list.

Room Tip: Hasfield is very large, bright and airy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
10 mi away
The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel
Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre

Been to Corse Lawn House Hotel? Share your experiences!