“Warts & all it's worth a stay.”

Corse Lawn House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corse Lawn
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is a conundrum and writing a review is awkward as there are many good things yet also some pretty shabby things to report. I have stayed here 4 times and on my first visit was an instant fan. The log fire (how precious when so so many places are content with logs and a fake gas flame nowadays) loose tea and a teapot (yes teapots still exist in the UK but most hoteliers forget that) fresh milk in a fridge in the bedroom and a delicious dinner all won me over. But as time passes one sees the cracks and in my view they are the following.
The whole decor is incredibly shabby. Paints in colours not seen since 1985 on the walls (plum and terracotta) and curtains from that era in dusty swathes hang in bedrooms and dining rooms. Televisions come from a bygone age and reception is poor in the area so watching all channels is not always possible. Having had a couple of delightful meals there I am sorry to report that our meals this week could be described as pretty poor. But again the conundrum of the place; delicious canapes are served beforehand then the meal is of another level altogether. Presentation is an issue throughout. I thought I was bad at it but the chef here is worse! A starter of smoked huss looked really unappetising on the plate, Mediterranean fish soup lacked guts and tasted purely of tomato. A pouting in mild curry sauce was virtually inedible due to the chef having poured what appeared to be industrial quantities of curry powder into cream and without tasting it cloaked the dish with it. It was childish cooking at best and could have been sent back. My plaice was the smallest fish I have seen in my fishmonger at home. Not the correct texture but I cannot say why. Maybe overcooking? Old fashioned vegetables were quite tasty. Breakfast follows suit with a perfect mango followed by divine scrambled eggs but served with black pudding that was certainly NOT black pudding. It was a liver concoction that was burnt in the pan and a mound of crumbled vileness on the plate. I like liver but loathed this. Why call it black pudding? Why put it on the plate? Why couldn't the waitress tell me what it was when I enquired? And then the brioches - every single time I have stayed you could play cricket with the brioches. Why serve them? Either buy them in, teach the chef to make a good one or don't do them. It's an anomaly that the family who run the hotel are Anglo/French and yet the chefs certainly cannot make a decent sauce nor a brioche.
HOWEVER rooms are spacious and the atmosphere is very much old fashioned country house hotel and the duck pond is to die for and having tea or wine outside the gorgeous georgian house frontage is worth the stop here and frankly where else is there to go? Give it a try - oh and DO have the English Cheese Trolley. The best I have come across.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
corselawn, Owner at Corse Lawn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

We have gone over all the points that you mentioned, and hopefully addressed them. We
bought a new television, looked into the food, and generally took note.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here overnight and were so impressed that we will make another visit before long. Large airy rooms tastefully furnished, pleasant and efficient service without too much formality. Generous portions of modern British cooking, well presented and an extensive (and not too expensive) wine list.

Room Tip: Hasfield is very large, bright and airy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Corse Lawn hotel is a grade II listed Queen Anne building and is a hotel in the 'Country House' style. It is conveniently situated for visiting Gloucester or Cheltenham and is easy to find. Our initial impressions were very favourable: an attractive house standing behind a large duck pond and pretty flower displays set in peaceful countryside.
We were made to feel welcome upon arrival and were shown to our rooms, we had booked two double suites these were named Apperley and Bushley. Both suites had a 'wow' factor. They are both very large indeed and each comprises of a bedroom, separate lounge and bathroom with whirlpool baths. They are furnished in a style appropriate to the age of the house and made one feel as though one was living in a stately home. However, modern amenities have not been overlooked the WiFi connection was very good and free and each suite has two televisions - one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. Tea and coffee making facilities provided in the room are definitely superior to most hotels - leaf tea, ground coffee, a tin of homemade biscuits together with fresh milk and mineral water in a refrigerator, plus a welcome bowl of fresh fruit. The suites were excellent value for money, indeed I have paid just as much for a basic room in a Premier Inn (in London) on other occasions.
We ate our evening meal in the attractive restaurant. The quality of both the food and service was good. There is also a bar/bistro but we did not use these. One may take one's coffee or after dinner drinks in pleasant lounges.
One thing really marred our stay however, namely the dirty state of the swimming pool. We all enjoy swimming and had chosen this hotel over others because it advertised an indoor pool. This pool would be better described as an outdoor pool covered with a glass frame. It would seem that the sides of this framework can be opened wide, whilst this lets in fresh air it also lets in a great deal of dirt, vegetation and insect life that were floating in the pool water. The bottom of the pool looked curiously sandy and there were some unidentifiable small black lumps in the deep end. We decided that we did not wish to swim in such water. Even if the pool had been clean the changing facilities were poor consisting of one solitary garden shed attached to the side of the framework that was streaming with condensation, there were no showers, toilets, basins or lockers. Considering how grand the house is the pool came as a most unpleasant surprise. To top it all we discovered hundreds of ants crawling out of a crack near the pool steps, needless to say we left the area hastily. I find it hard to comprehend how the owners who have taken so much effort to provide excellent facilities elsewhere could be so neglectful of the pool, it really lets the place down.

Room Tip: Apperley and Bushley suites are very large and give good value for money
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank flutefairy

I have taken note about the swimming-pool, and it is at present closed for refurbishment.
Sorry

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed over for one night, loved it here, so peaceful, quiet and pretty. Huge rooms, and comfy beds, I usually find hotels beds are not, so thanks for that! Lovely touches like fresh milk and homemade biccys in the room.
We took our dog, very dog friendly and no extra charges, (again really bugs me as dog owner) so long may that continue! Friendly staff and non assuming.
We had cooked breakfast delivered to our room, And that was great, homemade preserves and yoghurt etc, fabulous! And much appreciated by us, with a dog that can’t be left alone as she’ll bark, so we usually have to do breakfast in shifts or pop her in the car, but not in this weather! So a lovely treat for us personally.
My only niggle was that pipes in the bathroom were having a chorus, few bangs and gurgles that woke us up, but they apologised profusely when I mentioned it and I get the impression, if we had known before bedtime, it would have been resolved.
Swimming pool looked great and we’ll definitely return as a great location too for a base.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were looking for a late notice B&B for a Saturday night in the Cotswolds in July - which turned out to be a real challenge. We had to broaden our area and in doing so, found Corse Lawn Hotel on a late booking website, at the discounted rate of £95 for a double room inc full English breakfast - about £60 cheaper than the rack rate.
This turned out to be a great deal as the Hotel was extremely comfortable with beautiful grounds in a lovely location. We were given the "Tirley" room on the ground floor - very spacious with kingsized bed and large ensuite bathroom with 2 showers - one over a corner bath, one in a separate cubicle! Big bathsheets and bathrobes were provided along with Duck Island toiletries - very appropriate given the duck pond outside! The decor was a tad old fashioned for our taste but it had everything we needed. Refreshment facilities included homemade shortbread biscuits and leaf tea.
Within the grounds the pond area out the front was a lovely place to sit and enjoy a Pimms or an afternoon tea, whilst the rest of the grounds offered up a croquet lawn and tennis court, both with equipment provided. There's even a helipad! The swimming pool was in a greenhouse type structure to the side of the hotel with a couple of loungers.
Breakfast was not a buffet - you were given a menu, even for juice, cereal etc. To continue the traditional theme, we chose half a grapefruit each and then a cooked breakfast which was fine - though note that they have no brown sauce - if you are partial, bring your own!! We didn't eat in the restaurant (it looked quite a serious affair, but the bistro sounded more lively). The hotel also had a couple of function rooms for bigger groups and all were busy. We chose to eat in Tewkesbury, and can highly recommend My Great Grandfather restaurant - see separate review.
Overall, we are giving the hotel a 5 rating, given the value for money in the price we paid.

Room Tip: Suggest ask for room upstairs, as our room on the ground floor was quite dark, esp as furniture was...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2011

A delightful place to stay. The bedrooms were enormous, with high ceilings; the en suite bathrooms were well-equipped and spacious. Lounge areas very pleasant, a choice of bistro or dining room for the evening meal, delicious breakfast (homemade muesli with fruit was particularly good). Excellent value for money. On top of all this, the staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. I'll look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Butterfly500
Reviewed June 4, 2011

Recently, together with friends from London we decided to have a country weekend away.

This is the 3rd time that we have stayed at the Corse Lawn and wee booked the weekend break of Bed Breakfast and Evening Meal.

Once again we were not disappointed. The welcome was very warm and, indeed, welcoming. We we shown to our room by a very pleasant young man who made a point of informing us fully of the facilities on offer.

Over and above the norm were the home cooked biscuits together with leaf tea and a filter3ed coffee. in the ade3quate fridge was a pint of milk together with still and fizzy water.

The evening meal was up to its superbe standard and at one stage part of our order was taken by a slightly older l;ady. It wasn't until I took a second look at I realised that this lady was in fact Buba Hine, the owner.

During the meal northing was too much effort nand even though I shouldn't have I really enjoyed the extensive cheese board which was hte most extensive I* have ever been offered.

After a superb meal were retired to our well present bedroom.

Breakfast was all that I could have asced for with the muesli being home-made with lashings of fruit.

But the most surprising thing of all was that when I booked the pair of rooms I was not asked for a deposit !

Room Tip: There is nothing to9 do as they are all individuac
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Speech House Hotel
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Coleford

Been to Corse Lawn House Hotel? Share your experiences!