“A lot of lolly for not a great deal - rather disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Clearwell
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our head chef Martin Adams is committed to quality and locally-sourced ingredients. Most are sourced from producers within a 20 mile radius of the hotel who share a passion for real, home-cooked seasonal food, served in a memorable and relaxed atmosphere.
Bristol
“A lot of lolly for not a great deal - rather disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were taken to this restaurant in October by friends that live near St Briavels (local-ish) and had come across a flyer at a local food fair. They hadn't tried it before and the meal was a "thank you" for us having organised a super holiday abroad.

There was nothing actually wrong with the food or indeed, the wine. Having said that, I didn't leave the table feeling as though we had had a gastronomic experience. The biggest problem was the size of the portions - they were so small that when we returned to our friends' house, we opened a box of chocolates because we were all still hungry! When I looked at the menu, it seemed that the cost of the food would be £35 each or so. Cheap by some standards but there are plenty of establishments that serve good quality food at considerably less cost. I felt really sorry for our friends because they were also somewhat disappointed.

The service was fine and we were well looked after by the friendly staff.

One last thing - I used the lavatory as we were leaving and there was no soap available. There was no-one immediately to hand and that sort of thing is unacceptable in any restaurant.
So if you are hell bent on lashing out, by all means try it but I wouldn't beat a path to their door again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear charenteboy
Thanks for taking the time to review your meal with us.
I'm delighted you found the service to be good and you felt well looked after.
I'm sorry you didn't feel completely full after your meal. I don't know when you came or what you ordered and would be very keen to discuss this with you if you could call me on the hotel number.
Our dinner menu is designed to be eaten as a three course meal which includes complementary bread, an amouse bouche, a starter, a main course, a dessert and optional coffee with petits fours. We regularly eat in the restaurant ourselves, have healthy appetites, and are never left feeling hungry. It is very unusual for any guests to comment that they are still hungry at the end of the meal and we always make sure anyone ordering less than three courses is aware of how the menu is designed and check on how you are enjoying the meal both during and after. Of course, additional potatoes and veg are available at no extra cost should the need arise. The menu does fluctuate somewhat but on average the cost of three courses is approximately £35/£36 which we feel is exceptional value for money given our commitment to sourcing our products from the best available local suppliers as well as the time taken to prepare the dishes.
Regarding the soap in the bathroom, both the ladies and gents have White Company Soap dispensers fitted beside the wash basins which are refilled on a daily basis and our reception immediately adjacent to the toilets is staffed until approximately midnight.
Best wishes

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Beautiful accommodation and lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had lunch here yesterday, our daughter had stayed here for 2 nights to attend our Nephews wedding in Clearwell Castle, having seen her room we can say the accommodation is beautiful.

Lunch was very good, beautifully presented and delicious, we would definitely return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear GLOBERTROTTER09
I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed your lunch and thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I hope you'll decide to return and explore the area a little more sometime in the future and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Very best wishes
Chepstow
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

A birthday treat. Nice atmosphere, good service and excellent food, however I would suggest having two starters instead of a main! The main portions were equivalent in size to the starters, nice for ladies, not so good for hearty men! This makes it expensive as you would require three courses. Super wine list. Picturesque garden.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Michelle H
Happy Birthday!
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal, as well as the surroundings and wines.
The menu is definitely written to be eaten over three courses and you're right to point out the mains are not designed to be eaten on their own. The menu includes bread, an amuse bouche and petits fours with coffee and in our experience guests do not leave feeling hungry.
We are committed to high quality locally sourced ingredients and fell that the price charged is fair and good value for money. We also keep the mark up on our wine list modest to encourage diners to try something different.
I hope you will join us again soon.
Best wishes
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great food in a relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very nice food served in a relaxed atmosphere.
The 'no fuss' wine service was very much appreciated.
Well worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I called in here for lunch whilst on the way to Chepstow about six weeks ago. Our son recommended it to us., plus good reviews on tripadvisor.
We enjoyed an excellent lunch my wife's dish of fresh grilled sardines was a great hit and she is not easily pleased. I've actually forgotten what I ate but I know we came away full of praise for the staff and food and with half a mind to plan a weekend stay at the hotel one day as it really does look like a very pleasant base from which to explore the area..

• Visited July 2013