“True Perfection!”

Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Clearwell
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our head chef Martin Adams is committed to quality and locally-sourced ingredients. Most are sourced from producers within a 20 mile radius of the hotel who share a passion for real, home-cooked seasonal food, served in a memorable and relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My parents, my girlfriend and myself went here on a monday evening on the last day of my parent's trip and I must say that this restaurant was the perfect way to spend the last evening with them, simply perfect. I was trying very hard to fault this place but it was absolutely impossible. Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted very nicely and escorted to the lounge area where we ordered a drink, while we looked the menu for dinner. We got free olives and salted Almonds which was a nice way to start the evening...
When the table was ready, they nicely told us that when we were ready we could head through. I never once this evening felt in any way rushed, everything happened at a great, relaxed pace.
When we sat down and ordered, we got a bottle of the most delicious white wine, the NZ Cloudy Bay Chardonnay 2007.. Oh my lord, what a wine! I have now ordered some from the internet to save for a special occasion.
First we were served some lovely warm bread with butter which was yummy!
Before the starter we have a shot of lime/melon/stawberry to awaken the taste buds, and it most certainly did. I had the potted mackerel which was devine. Everyone else else absolutely loved their starters as well..
Main course I had the sirloin steak with fondant potatoes or a savoy with a red win jus... WOW is all I can say. I practically licked the plate clean! I would eat that meal over and an over again without getting bored.
Desert was also absolute amazing, especially the passion fruit and rasberry tart... Huge Huge compliments to the chef! Stunning..

The service was another thing to note, they were absolutely amazing. Nothing was a hassle and they were very friendly and nice making this experience a superb one. I know I will be coming back any time I can and three courses for £34 is nothing...

Next time I will stay in one of the cottages as they look great. It's truly a stunning location and I can't wait to come back.

Thank you Tudor Farmhouse for opening my eyes and letting me experience this beautiful food.. 5 Stars without a shadow of a doubt!

There are newer reviews for Tudor Farmhouse Restaurant

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I splashed out £60 a head for a five-course gourmet dinner which included six wines selected by Tom Innes, a local wine-seller. The wines from the wonderful 2009 vintage were unimpeachable and Tom entertained the twenty or so guests with terrific tasting guidance and stories about the vintage. The meal was good in parts. We started with a selection of canapes - 2 actually which is not a selection in my book. One was a white gazpacho and was truly delicious. The other was a deep-fried cheese ball of some sort and quite tasty. The wine that accompanied these nibbles was a very complex and surprising Reisling Kabinet, a little sweet but very moorish. For starters we were served a pressing of ham hock which I also liked a lot. We had a Vezelay which was dry and charming. Sadly the second course, roasted cod with French style peas was bland and under-seasoned, saved by a delicious Saint Roman 'La Combe Bazin'. To follow we had a very nicely cooked loin of beef, just pink, with pickled walnuts and roast garlic and a carrot puree along with a burgundy and a bordeaux! A Cote de Nuits St. George from domain Gachot-Monot and a Chateau Cissac AC Haut Medoc. To finish a delicious set passion fruit cream with raspberries. The combination with a Coteaux du Layon Chateau Soucherie was terrific.

So, although not all the dishes were equally good, the food was generally fine but not inspiring, but considering that we all had as much wine as we could drink, not extortinate either. However, the coffee at the end was weak and filthy and the petit four not in the least tempting. The table was not properly laid so by the time we were given our beef there were no knives and forks left. But the staff were so good-natured and charming and quick to make amends that no one felt put out.

In conclusion I would say that if the normal menu is as consistent as the food we ate then the Tudor Farmhouse is worth a visit for a treat. The location is fabulous and with rooms dotted around the property and tables outside to enjopy any good weather I thought it quite charming. But don't expect a cheap night out!

1  Thank vegahoilc
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here 1 night for a wedding a was attending at Clearwell castle and because I was sent here as an alternative to our original plan because the Wyndham Arms up the road apparently can not read an email or work a booking system.

The room was not bad and the breakfast tasty and good service. It took a while to get things arranged to check in but that is more the fault of Wyndham's error than the tudor's problem. Once it was sorted it was a pleasant stay.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Thank you for such a lovely lunch yesterday. I had the mushroom linguine with possibly the freshest salad I have ever had! A good price in a lovely restaurant with great service. Lunch times are always quiet for 'fine-dining' restaurants in smaller villages, but to be honest it was just lovely to enjoy a bit of piece and quiet with a great choice of music playing gently in the background.

Just in case you need to know ....... the place is spotless and attention to detail is to be seen everywhere.

Excellent coffee too! Always a mark of excellence in my book!

Thanks and will see you again very soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

We ate dinner here - the three course set meal which was very good value. They do that really nice touch of sitting you in the lounge with a menu and a drink so you can choose your food at leisure and then taking you to your table when the starter arrives. I love this - it makes you feel very pampered and adds to the romance of the event. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and the service is faultless. Lovely environment too - we will definitely eat here again.