“Amazing stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clearwell
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel exceeded all of our expectations. We had a one night stay using a LivingSocial voucher that was incredibly good value. We stayed in the Loft suite, an amazing room with a roll top bath and private garden area. We had a lovely cream tea and delicious evening meal, and staff were welcoming and attentive throughout our stay. We were particularly impressed with the incredible attention to detail, the decor in our room had clearly been chosen carefully, and there were lots of lovely touches. Thoroughly relaxing stay; we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna H
Dear Donna H
Thanks for taking the time to write the lovely review of your recent stay.
I'm really pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Colin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Bewdley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Beautiful hotel and I can honestly say it was the best service I have ever received. The food was also fantastic and very good value for money considering the quality. The only thing I would criticise is that the bed was quite squeaky which didn't give us the best nights sleep. However I would still recommend and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear hoppers_x
So pleased you had a great stay with us and thanks for writing this review. We hope to see you again one day!"
Regards
Warmington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Frankly this hotel exceeded expectations.

On arrival at this slightly quirky set of buildings that comprise the hotel, that is itself situated in an unremarkable artisans' village, we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff.

Our room, which I am told is the best in the house, was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the view towards a hillside quite pleasant.

The grounds are perfectly manicured and the whole place is actually quite charming. The management clearly had a vision for this establishment and they have achieved their goal for a high quality boutique-type hotel on the edge of The Forest of Dean.

We had dinner on Saturday night and Sunday lunch. The food was superb and demonstrated that the chef is very accomplished. All ingredients are locally sourced and beautifully prepared close to Michelin rosette standard.

But here's the rub. Why did I not give it excellent? As mentioned above the food was fine but at dinner I ordered the Ox cheek and my wife, the venison. She was served just two tiny pieces of venison - perfectly cooked, it's true - but the meanness of the portion was slightly shocking. At lunch on the following day I had the Pollock and my wife ordered Pork. Again she was served a derisory portion and I felt I had to say something. I never understand the thinking behind giving a mean portion. The only way this will affect profits is to diminish them by alienating clients who might, as a result, not return.

Overall I was delighted with our stay but one can't help feeling that to go so far in providing a great impression there is a danger of "spoiling the ship for a hapeth of tar"

Will I return? Not sure - I think I would have to make it dependent on decent sized portions

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sailwithrob
Dear Sailwithrob
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Tudor Farmhouse.
I'm delighted you enjoyed the room, hotel, location and food.
As for portion size I'm sorry you felt they were on the small size for you. Its difficult to please everyone on this count which is why we include extra side dishes on the menu and recommend that the meal is taken as two or three courses. For every negative comment we get about our portion size we get many many positive ones who say we've got it just right. I'm sorry we weren't able to meet your expectations on this count but hope you will join us again this the future.
Kind regards
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We booked 2 midweek nights a couple of weeks ago, without very much research. This is the most lovely privately run hotel in the middle of the Clearwell village, very close the river Wye. The rooms are comfortable and everything very clean. The only minus was that our room in the barn was small and could have been a better layout.
Very good food - Wonderful breakfast - local produce - they list the suppliers. Worth dining there - we had the lamb which was great. There is a kitchen garden at the back as well as hens. You, can buy strawberry jam, honey and other foods to take home.
All the staff very friendly. No complaints.

Room Tip: Can book visa Telegraph and may get a larger room that way. We booked very last minute.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear iwanttogohome
So pleased to hear you had a great stay at the Tudor Farmhouse. Thanks for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I think like many people who stay here, I was attending a wedding at a nearby church and reception at the castle. I had one of the "barn rooms", number 11 I think, and it was lovely. The room was large and tastefully decorated with the most comfortable bed I've ever had in a hotel. Similarly the bathroom was a good size and very nicely done. The bath had an extra wide end so there was plenty of room to take a shower (no shower curtain constantly sticking to you!) and the shower had good water pressure. Other highlights include: a nespresso maker, quality bathroom products, large fluffy towels and dressing gown and a proper powerful hair dryer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear AH
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Tudor Farmhouse when you were attending a wedding in the village.
Thanks for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again in the future when you've got time to explore this unique area.
Kind regards
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here last Thursday when attending a wedding at Clearwell Castle. The location is simply perfect and just a couple of minutes walk to the castle.
We contacted the hotel in advance as we were due to arrive at noon and requested access to our rooms. They did so and all rooms were ready when we arrived, a really good service.
The rooms themselves are all unique and really nicely presented. Our standard rooms may have been just a little on the small side, but as we were attending a wedding, we weren't expecting to spend much time in the room anyway. We didn't have a window but did have a sky light.
The hotel ground are really nice, would be lovely a little later into spring when the flowers would be out more.
We didn't have an evening meal but the restaurant looked lovely, as did the menu.
Breakfast was of a good quality and fresh and hot. Having arrived at 9.15 (closed at 10am) the orange juice had run out, we didn't say anything as the staff were really busy. Also, when we ordered breakfast they asked if we wanted toast, we said yes but it didn't arrive. Again, we didn't say anything, mainly because we had finished our hot breakfast before we had a chance to mention it. As I said, we didn't give the hotel a chance to react to these small things so difficult to moan, it does however mean that I scored the hotel a 4 rather than a 5.
At £100 a night it wasn't cheap, but we were attending a wedding at the fabulous castle so saving a few quid wasn't top priority.
Would we recommend? Absolutely, in fact we'd be tempted to return just for a short break.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnCarter
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear JohnCarter
Thanks for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay.
Glad you had a good stay and enjoyed your time in the village. Apologies for the hiccups with the toast and juice at breakfast, I hope it doesn't put you off returning to explore the area more in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Having stayed here for one night in July 2013 for a friends wedding at Clearwell Castle (and being very impressed), we decided to return in March this year for my birthday & took my parents. Previously we stayed in a barn room which was very clean, well equipped, comfortable & of a good size. The service, helpfulness & friendliness of the staff throughout our stay was exceptional!

Prior to booking Jennifer was very helpful & prompt in helping us book our rooms (with a loyalty discount) & our requirements for an evening meal in the restaurant (something which we didn't have time to do on our previous visit).
This time we opted for a farmhouse room whilst my parents stayed in the cottage suite. Before we arrived I had been telling my parents how wonderful the place was and we wasn't disappointed! Our rooms were of real quality from the complimentary toiletries to the standard of furnishing and was therefore everything & more than we expected. Again the level of friendly service & attention we received was second to none. The meal in the restaurant was exquisite & the breakfast spread the next morning was also fantastic. We particularly liked that a lot of the food was sourced locally which gave you a real feel for the surrounding area. The sitting area around the bar / restaurant is very comfortable & also had a lovely relaxing a chilled out atmosphere where you could read, play board games or just talk. My very slightest quibble is that I would have liked to seen a little more choice on draught especially with all of the local ales & cider brewed around the vicinity. Saying that there is an equally nice pub next door which is all of 10 meter walk!
I can't sign off without saying how picturesque the scenery is & how much there is to do in the local area with Clearwell Caves, Puzzlewood, Symonds Yat, Monmouthshire / Hereford / Chepstow & the Forest of Dean all within a short drive there is definitely something for everyone & this is a great base to stay! We will definitely be visiting again but hopefully for a longer stay. Thank you to everyone at the Tudor Farmhouse for making our stay so perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear mr_bjw76
I'm delighted you enjoyed your return visit with your parents. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and complementary review. It was a pleasure to welcome you all and we look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.
Colin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwell
The Speech House Hotel
Glewstone Court
Glewstone Court
#1 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Bells Hotel and the Forest of Dean Golf & Bowls Club

Been to Tudor Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!