“New Year Celebrations”

Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clearwell
Reviewed January 3, 2014

For the third year running our largish party (on this occasion 14) of literally old friends returned for our New Year two day stay at the Tudor Farmhouse. As we have become accustomed, the welcome was warm; the hotel was comfortable; the food outstanding and the whole occasion memorable. Our customary New Year's Day walk in the forest was a rained off non-starter this year, but this was the only disappointment. The hotel has gained a well-deserved reputation for the quality of its locally sourced food and drink and the New Year Eve taster menu was a triumph for Martin and his team in the kitchen - imaginative and tasty.

Room Tip: It is worth paying the extra for the Cider House rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Jollyjack2014
It was a joy to welcome you and your friends back this year and I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed yourselves again!
Sorry we couldn't fix the weather for you this time. Hope to see you all again in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed for one night at the weekend. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere in a very quiet village, other than the 250 or so weddings held each year in the castle. Service was ok overall as was check in. Our room was pleasant and comfortable. Lovely bathroom with nice toiletries. Tip to owner – please provide bigger bars of soap…I am a chap and could barely grasp the tiny bars provided. We did not have dinner but the breakfast with foodstuffs sourced locally was superb. I know it’s a case of supply and demand but at £170 per night (including breakfast) is a little steep bearing in mind the week before Christmas I paid less to stay at the Mayfair Hilton. That’s all that prevents me giving a full 5/5.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Malim27
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Tudor Farmhouse.
I'm really pleased you had a pleasant stay and we'd love to welcome you back again in the future.
You're quite right to point out that the hospitality industry prices vary according to high and low demand times. Here in the sticks the high demand times tend to be the weekends whereas in London its during the week - hence your recent late availability weekend bargain. (I recently tried to book a week day budget room as I was in London for work and couldn't find anything for less than £300!).
We offer some excellent Sun - Thurs packages as well as selected late availability offers so I hope you have the opportunity to book one of these in the future to explore this lovely area further.

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in The Byre (me, my husband and two children). The hotel is in a beautiful location and only two minutes walk from Clearwell Castle where we were attending a wedding.

The hotel is beautifully decorated and has lots of thoughtful touches (homemade biscuits in the room, great put up beds for our 2&3 yr olds), however the service really let it down.

We were left feeling disappointed at the front of house attitude to fair requests. We wanted to get our children a meal when we arrived, which appeared to be putting the FoH manager out, we asked for an extra table to join our family party - we were told there were no more tables, even though the rest of the restaurant was empty.

We were unable to get room service that wasn't off the A La Carte Menu at £20-21 a main course meal, a simple sandwich whipped up would of sufficed.

There was real problems with the Internet in The Byre. I had four seperate communications with staff over a day and I was told 'its because you are using an Apple device'. I use an iPhone and even though I was connecting through my browser as directed the connection dropped out after 15 minutes. I gave up at this point.

I have had communications with another FoH manager and the owner about the above, they were both accepting and welcoming of the above comments. It seems they want to improve.

It's a real shame that the service let this hotel down.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank SazzleA

Dear SazzleA

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I’m glad you found the location beautiful and enjoyed most aspects of your stay.

Thanks for pointing out the WIFI issue in the Byre (also raised by another member of your group ROZNBAZ below). We have free WIFI throughout the hotel, although it seems that the Byre has become a WIFI “blindspot”. We are in the process of replacing the router which serves this area.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that you experienced a drop in the expected level of service. We pride ourselves on providing all guests with the best possible “can do” service so I’m sorry you felt this was not the case in this instance for you. We are investigating these incidents and will be taking appropriate steps shortly. In the meantime I would like to assure you that this is in no way representative of the training provided or standards expected of our staff, I hope the correction made to your bill helped as a gesture of good will.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A perfect evening , very talented chef , so food was perfect. Great flavours and great produce. Friendly informative staff, they have a real passion and know their wines. Great atmosphere and they have continued to maintain the property so it still looks lovely and modern and fresh, but maintaining its cosy atmosphere. Can recommend the fish, look forward to seeing some wild boar and more venison on the menu.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gormandise
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Gormandise
Thanks for this lovely review.
I'm delighted you had such a good stay, I'll pass on your comments to all the team.
Very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here with my wife, son, daughter in law. granddaughters, my daughter and her partner for a wedding at the Clearwell Castle venue. We each had different rooms. My wife and I were in the barn, my son and family in the byre and daughter in the attic. The reception was welcoming, warm, informative and friendly. The rooms were beautifully decorated, well-furnished, clean and cosy. The ensuites were fitted into the nooks and crannies cleverly and the luxury towels, soaps and dressing gowns gave you that “this a hotel that cares feel”. The dining room décor was homely. The meals were beautifully presented and very tasty: breakfast was without fault. I loved the use of local products for the meals. For a romantic weekend for 2 Tudor House would be without parallel. And the hotel did provide put up beds for our grandchildren at the drop of a hat and that was brilliant. Five stars, almost………….
We live in age of mobile communication. I didn’t have a signal (o2) from the moment I arrived until we left and were 5 miles away. Then there was connection to the internet – this apparently was fine apparently - expect if you were using an Apple device where the “we do get a lot of people with problems like this” is a poor response. A wedding venue in the middle of nowhere must mean a least one pre-venue evening meal for families gathering from afar. We were one such family and the meal we had was beautifully cooked, but the palaver trying to organise it with the hotel did not impress me. I am 66. If I am fed I am grateful. If you ask me to choose a year In advance I can do that, I probably can’t remember what I chose, but that is old age. The youngsters of today don’t do that. They turn up and want eat without the fuss of ordering in advance. Very few of them appreciate rich novel cuisine food. If I am honest the food was a bit too nice for us as a family. Bar food and snack meals for kids would have been fine – cause the meal is not the event it is the gathering.
This hotel is in the middle of nowhere and its thriving on the coat tails of a wedding venue that caters for 250 weddings a year. It is charging city prices - nowhere else to go and the price is what the market will bear – accepted! But 250 weddings a year is good repeat business and repeat problems should have been solved after the first or second occurance. So a hotel whose core trade is “wedding accommodation r us" has to get that bit right. And to my mind the hotel is not quite there yet.

Room Tip: The Byre has a lounge as well as a bedroom. No 15 in the Barn is next to the entrance and is a bit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ROZNBAZ

Dear ROZNBAZ

Thank for taking the time to write your extensive review.

I'm delighted you and your group enjoyed the rooms, food and service.

I'll address your other comments individually:

- You're quite right, mobile coverage in the village is patchy. Not a problem in our experience for most of our guests who visit us for a quiet break away from the rat-race. Our efforts to persuade the mobile networks to extend the coverage into the area. I hope you were able to use the land line phone in your room as an alternative.

- I'm surprised you received the response you did about Apple devices as this is certainly not the case. Once you log onto the "Tudorfarmhouse" network via your browser (rather than via an App) they work like a dream. Thanks for pointing out this response, I'll make sure all the team are aware of how this works.

- We do ask for pre-orders for tables of 10 or more. It actually means we can get your food out with a minimum of fuss or delay - particularly useful for groups like yourselves who are converging on the hotel from far flung corners of the country. I'm sorry you found this a nuisance.

- You're quite wrong to suggest that we get the majority of our business is from weddings at Clearwell Castle. In fact most of our guests are leisure guests looking for a relaxing break in the country. Our food offering and commitment to high standards of service are geared for this market and our prices are very reasonable both on the food and accommodation side. We feel that as there are two other dining establishments in the village offering a different kind of experience our customers have a range choices should they wish to "turn up and eat" without booking.

I hope this helps. We'd love to see you again as a genuine "repeat customers" in the future when perhaps you will be able to enjoy our food in a more relaxing environment and see more of our beautiful area,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Tudor Farmouse several times including New year breaks with a group of friends. We really can't fault the service, friendly but efficient. It has a warm, cosy feel to it. The food has always been very good and gets better and better with well balanced flavours, beautifully and imaginatively presented.
Breakfast is as much of a treat as dinner with plenty of fresh fruit, fruit juices and cooked offerings.
Hari and Michael have an excellent staff who all work well together.
The rooms do vary, and some in the barn are quite small but nevertheless comfortable and well equipped. Avoid the one above the laundry if possible. The rooms in the cottage are lovely.

Room Tip: The new rooms in the cottage are the best.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Keri B
Thanks for your lovely review.
Its great to get feedback from regulars who have seen the changes over the years and I'm delighted you think the food is getting "better & better", I'll pass your comments on to Martin and the kitchen team who will be chuffed.
You're right to point out that a few of the rooms in the barn are on the smaller side. We're actually planning some refurbishment work to these rooms for 2014/15 which will increase the size of some of these rooms to suites so I hope you'll return to the these out when the work is complete.
See you again soon

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as we were in Clearwell for a friends wedding. This is a perfect hotel in so many ways. It is large enough to offer a great restaurant and bar service. The rooms are lovely, warm and well equipped (the towels are massive and robes a lovely touch). The breakfast has healthy and hearty options and all the staff are so friendly and helpful. I felt we received such a warm welcome from all those we came into contact with - both back and front of house.

Price-wise, a bit on the expensive side but you do get what you pay for and that is top quality and top service.

A perfect stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SunSandsnowlover
Delighted to hear you had a good stay when you visited the village for your friends' wedding. I hope you'll consider returning again to explore this beautiful unexplored corner of the country.
Thanks for this review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Colin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwell
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shurdington
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth

Been to Tudor Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!