“Way to go”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clearwell
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Way to go”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here with my wife, son, daughter in law. granddaughters, my daughter and her partner for a wedding at the Clearwell Castle venue. We each had different rooms. My wife and I were in the barn, my son and family in the byre and daughter in the attic. The reception was welcoming, warm, informative and friendly. The rooms were beautifully decorated, well-furnished, clean and cosy. The ensuites were fitted into the nooks and crannies cleverly and the luxury towels, soaps and dressing gowns gave you that “this a hotel that cares feel”. The dining room décor was homely. The meals were beautifully presented and very tasty: breakfast was without fault. I loved the use of local products for the meals. For a romantic weekend for 2 Tudor House would be without parallel. And the hotel did provide put up beds for our grandchildren at the drop of a hat and that was brilliant. Five stars, almost………….
We live in age of mobile communication. I didn’t have a signal (o2) from the moment I arrived until we left and were 5 miles away. Then there was connection to the internet – this apparently was fine apparently - expect if you were using an Apple device where the “we do get a lot of people with problems like this” is a poor response. A wedding venue in the middle of nowhere must mean a least one pre-venue evening meal for families gathering from afar. We were one such family and the meal we had was beautifully cooked, but the palaver trying to organise it with the hotel did not impress me. I am 66. If I am fed I am grateful. If you ask me to choose a year In advance I can do that, I probably can’t remember what I chose, but that is old age. The youngsters of today don’t do that. They turn up and want eat without the fuss of ordering in advance. Very few of them appreciate rich novel cuisine food. If I am honest the food was a bit too nice for us as a family. Bar food and snack meals for kids would have been fine – cause the meal is not the event it is the gathering.
This hotel is in the middle of nowhere and its thriving on the coat tails of a wedding venue that caters for 250 weddings a year. It is charging city prices - nowhere else to go and the price is what the market will bear – accepted! But 250 weddings a year is good repeat business and repeat problems should have been solved after the first or second occurance. So a hotel whose core trade is “wedding accommodation r us" has to get that bit right. And to my mind the hotel is not quite there yet.

Room Tip: The Byre has a lounge as well as a bedroom. No 15 in the Barn is next to the entrance and is a bit...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ROZNBAZ
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear ROZNBAZ

Thank for taking the time to write your extensive review.

I'm delighted you and your group enjoyed the rooms, food and service.

I'll address your other comments individually:

- You're quite right, mobile coverage in the village is patchy. Not a problem in our experience for most of our guests who visit us for a quiet break away from the rat-race. Our efforts to persuade the mobile networks to extend the coverage into the area. I hope you were able to use the land line phone in your room as an alternative.

- I'm surprised you received the response you did about Apple devices as this is certainly not the case. Once you log onto the "Tudorfarmhouse" network via your browser (rather than via an App) they work like a dream. Thanks for pointing out this response, I'll make sure all the team are aware of how this works.

- We do ask for pre-orders for tables of 10 or more. It actually means we can get your food out with a minimum of fuss or delay - particularly useful for groups like yourselves who are converging on the hotel from far flung corners of the country. I'm sorry you found this a nuisance.

- You're quite wrong to suggest that we get the majority of our business is from weddings at Clearwell Castle. In fact most of our guests are leisure guests looking for a relaxing break in the country. Our food offering and commitment to high standards of service are geared for this market and our prices are very reasonable both on the food and accommodation side. We feel that as there are two other dining establishments in the village offering a different kind of experience our customers have a range choices should they wish to "turn up and eat" without booking.

I hope this helps. We'd love to see you again as a genuine "repeat customers" in the future when perhaps you will be able to enjoy our food in a more relaxing environment and see more of our beautiful area,

Colin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Ledbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Tudor Farmouse several times including New year breaks with a group of friends. We really can't fault the service, friendly but efficient. It has a warm, cosy feel to it. The food has always been very good and gets better and better with well balanced flavours, beautifully and imaginatively presented.
Breakfast is as much of a treat as dinner with plenty of fresh fruit, fruit juices and cooked offerings.
Hari and Michael have an excellent staff who all work well together.
The rooms do vary, and some in the barn are quite small but nevertheless comfortable and well equipped. Avoid the one above the laundry if possible. The rooms in the cottage are lovely.

Room Tip: The new rooms in the cottage are the best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Keri B
Thanks for your lovely review.
Its great to get feedback from regulars who have seen the changes over the years and I'm delighted you think the food is getting "better & better", I'll pass your comments on to Martin and the kitchen team who will be chuffed.
You're right to point out that a few of the rooms in the barn are on the smaller side. We're actually planning some refurbishment work to these rooms for 2014/15 which will increase the size of some of these rooms to suites so I hope you'll return to the these out when the work is complete.
See you again soon
SWLondon
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as we were in Clearwell for a friends wedding. This is a perfect hotel in so many ways. It is large enough to offer a great restaurant and bar service. The rooms are lovely, warm and well equipped (the towels are massive and robes a lovely touch). The breakfast has healthy and hearty options and all the staff are so friendly and helpful. I felt we received such a warm welcome from all those we came into contact with - both back and front of house.

Price-wise, a bit on the expensive side but you do get what you pay for and that is top quality and top service.

A perfect stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SunSandsnowlover
Delighted to hear you had a good stay when you visited the village for your friends' wedding. I hope you'll consider returning again to explore this beautiful unexplored corner of the country.
Thanks for this review and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
london
Reviewed December 9, 2013

booked the Tudor Farmhouse Hotel on a gourmet night deal plus an additional nights stay. Although the hotel is an old farmhouse it's centrally located in the village of Clearwell. The main farmhouse itself is where the reception and restaurant are based whilst the rooms are located in a small number of outbuildings. We booked the Loft and I have to say it was prefect. The room was a large suite with an airy feel, well furnished with luxury touches such as a Nespresso machine and fresh milk in the mini fridge (nice touch). The ensuite deserves special mention. Its very large with a roll top bath and a large "walk-in" rain shower behind. This really was luxury and probably the best en suite of any 5* hotel I've stayed in. Breakfast was great with lots of choice and the locally sourced sausages a real treat.
As mentioned earlier we had booked a gourmet stay and booked in for the Tasting Menu. We found the food both excellent and imaginative. I had read reviews that portion size tends to be a little small. It's difficult to comment as we both had a six course tasting menu, which by definition meant the dishes would be on the small size. However we could not finish our meal!
Would definitely recommend both the hotel and the restaurant and we could find no fault in our stay. We will be returning

Room Tip: the suites are worth the little extra charge
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gary117
Thanks for taking the time to write your great review.
So glad you had an enjoyable stay in the Loft - that's our favourite bathroom too! The tasting menu is a fairly recent addition, having started it this year, so I'm glad that went well and you enjoyed the range of dishes which are changed regularly to reflect the seasons and whatever if fresh from our kitchen garden.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a nearby wedding in Clearwell. Perfect location being only a few minutes walk from the castle. Stylish deco and tasty breakfast so I would highly recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Nadiahh
Thanks for your review. I'm very pleased you found the hotel convenient for the nearby wedding and you were well looked after by our team.
I hope you'll consider returning to explore this lovely area more in the future.
Kind regards
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend break and found the place to be absolutely fabulous. Our room (room 17) was beautifully furnished. The bed and bedding were the comfiest bed we have ever experienced in a hotel. The bathroom and rainfall shower were fantastic and the towels were the thickest towels I have ever come across. Also loved the small touches in the room such as glass bottled water provided on the bedside table and the dressing gowns in the bathroom.
The service provided in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the food and drink was also delicious.
My only niggly bits is that I felt the TV in the room spoilt the decor and didn't need to be there, although I am one of those who finds it unnecessary to watch television while I'm on holidays. The gravel driveway meant that it was quite noisy and we were woken up in the morning by cars parking. Also, while the food in the restaurant was amazing, it was also quite limited and I found I had the same meal two nights in a row although there is great pub next door which also serves food.
On the whole though, the hotel and service was fantastic. I was actually quite sad to leave and will definitely be back and I recommend it for a romantic weekend away.
I also recommend the cocktails.Especially the British Bulldog one.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dorifutokingu_Nat
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of your recent stay.
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we're looking forward to welcoming you again soon.
Very best wishes
Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have been about 7 or 8 times to the Tudor farmhouse hotel and have never been disapointed!
We are from the catering trade and know when efforts and attention to detaails are made and it is so nice to get personnal touches from an hotel which is owned by an individual who cares about what they do.
Merci beaucoup Colin & Hari

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin F, Owner at Tudor Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear CedricduBearn
Thanks for your lovely review. It is always a pleasure to welcome you and Dawn and we hope you'll have time in your busy schedule to return again soon!
Very best wishes
Colin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwell
The Speech House Hotel
Glewstone Court
Glewstone Court
#1 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Bells Hotel and the Forest of Dean Golf & Bowls Club

Been to Tudor Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!