“You don't get pubs like this anymore”

The Great Western Arms
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Blockley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I went looking for a Sunday Roast and found this place, at first I wasn't too impressed because the doors and way to get in was not clear and I nearly stumbled behind the bar, whatsmore, as a tourist I felt like a fish out of water as there was a really local atmosphere. Nevertheless, after sitting down for a few minutes I felt very comfortable and decided to give the lunch menu a go (which was astoundingly good value for 18 pounds for three courses), the food was one of the best roasts I'd had in a long time, hearty, homemade and good portion sizes, it was exactly want you want from a country roast and the dessert was brilliant as well. As a bonus (that really doesnt happen nowadays) the proprietor made a real effort to see if we enjoyed the food and chatted with us, making me feel a lot less like an unwelcome tourist intruding on a local pub.

Overall, if you are in Blockley definatly have a meal here rather than the other restaurant the crown hotel, I will definately visit again

There are newer reviews for The Great Western Arms

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Had a great lunch here on sat .this pub goes from strength to strength, Gail !the landlady is so hard working and nothing is too much trouble .My steak was wonderful and the secret recipe for the salad dressing remained a secret despite me interrogating the chef lol .We have used this pub for the last 11years and this is the best it's ever been .We wish Gail every success with her takeaway fish and chips a great idea.

1  Thank morganlefay
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having visited previously in November 2011 with the intention of sounding it out to potentially eat there (6 adults, 2 children, 1 baby and 2 dogs) we were told we could not take the dogs in so just had a drink and left. We were staying in Blockley again, Nov 2012, and as the weather was nice and we were passing we thought we would stop at the Great Western and sit in the garden,

Luckily for us the pub changed hands at the beginning of 2012 and the new owners could not have been nicer, dogs are now allowed into the bar area (not the restaurant which is fair enough) the dogs were given treats and even a blanket to lay on. We enjoyed our drink we had planned to eat in our cottage this time but, if we return to Blockley, would definately consider eating here.

Bar area is a proper pub, cozy and not too blokey despite having a pool table and usual big screen - they switched from horse racing to watching a film while we were there (we were told they like to watch movies when the pub is quiet) Bar had an interesting assortment of liqueurs!

1  Thank SOULAR
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I (and our dog) visited on Rembrance Sunday 2012. The bar and dining staff were very friendly. The food and service were excellent. One of the best meals in a pub we've ever had. As a vegetarian I really appreciated being asked if I would like vegetarian gravy. Special touches like that make all the difference. It was nice to have a good chat with the young manager as well. Incredibly I heard someone complain about waiting 30 mins (yes, just 30 mins!) for their food but if they wanted fast-food they should have gone to McDonald's. What do you expect when the food is freshly prepared on the premises? All in all, five out of five.
Richard, Warwick.

1  Thank ManFriday
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Enthusiastic and well-informed cellar manager who takes a pride in the quality of the beer he serves. Pulled two pints of Hooky through because we were the first in and he wanted it to be 'just right'. Didn't try the food, but the restaurant looked inviting.