“An enjoyable stay!”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We randomly booked this hotel as we fancied going to the Cotswolds for the first time, and booked it based on the location. Birdlip is ideal if you want peace and quiet. We did a 5 mile walk in which we got lost on, but that is part and parcel of staying in the countryside! It's convienient as it's close to Cheltenham, Gloucester and Cirencester. Great food at affordable prices and it has a nice bar with friendly staff. A very chilled out vibe with sport on tv and evening entertainment to cater for all. The place could do with a lick of paint but it's pleasent enough. We had a little decking area outside which we could go out on - it would be worth booking that room in the summer, as not all the rooms have one of these.
All-in-all, a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, we are all so happy you enjoyed your time with us. I have shared your lovely comments with all my team, we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We had a ground floor room as I am disabled. Two single beds were put together by request, wonderful and comfy. Great large room with French doors with our own patio and garden furniture. Great deep bath and power shower. Hot water not hot enough and no safety rails.
We had a 2 for £10.95 meal and breakfast. All well cooked and well served. Staff could not do enough tor us, very pleasant. We paid £50 for this overnight stay. Great value. We have been before and will certainly come again.

Room Tip: Recommend the ground floor rooms in summer. November when we stayed, too cold to sit out and enjoy t...

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed for two days 18/11. Met a friend.
Lovely stay.
The staff were charming and friendly. In fact we stayed in situ the first day..
Breakfast was 7 - noon - very good idea that!
Meals could be taken in the restaurant and the bar.
Half hour drive to Slimbridge.
Would visit again - and such great value for money.
Courtesy drinks and cookies in the room and also Bayliss and Harding shower and body creme.
Room tidy and ample enough in size....same for bathroom...thouigh maybe the wallpaper could do with a replace as was coming off the wall in the bedroom .

Room Tip: just visit and see....good value for money - we paid £38 a night...and talked to guys who had tried...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to offer your lovely review, I have shared this with all my team. We always attempt to make all our guests feel welcome and make sure they enjoy their time with us. We all very much look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner and 4 month old son last weekend and felt I wanted to write a review about our visit (which doesn't happen often).

The room was spotless with a good sized bathroom and good selection of TV channels. The building is lovely and has kept its character, the grounds are beautiful, which I took a walk around on a frosty morning after I had eaten the full english that was included in the price. My breakfast was well cooked and there was a good selection, very nice poached egg.

The beds were very comfortable and I really enjoyed the food in the bar in the evening. I had a burger which was delicious and there seemed to be a much grander selection of food on the menu. What set my experience apart from the others was the staff, they had no problem filling up my sons bottle with milk, even though I asked for it 3 times, each time they didn't charge me and it seemed nothing was too much trouble.

I would give this hotel 5 stars if it wasn't for the noisy guests upstairs that had their TV on extremely loud, which meant I didn't get much sleep, it git to 2 o clock in the morning and I had had enough so ny partner phoned reception to complain, it was dealt with very quickly and after that I had a very peaceful sleep, thank you.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, I once again apologise for the guest who had their TV so loud late at night. I have shared your lovely comments with my team and we do hope to welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at The Royal George Hotel and found it to be a lovely and charming place. Our room was warm and the bed Very Comfortable had a lovely nights sleep - all of the staff were attentive and courteous. We had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant and breakfast the following morning. A real 'chocolate box' setting in delightful countryside. Would highly recommend

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front of the pub but there was no exessive noise from road traffic as its se...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments which I have shared with all my team, also glad to hear you enjoyed your Chocolates... We all look forward towelcoming you back in the future, Michael and the team.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night only,as we travelled down to Gloucester for the Victorian Xmas market.The market itself was a little disapointing,not much variation amongst the stalls,but the people were dressed up in Victorian dress costume,which set you back in time.(oh how fortunate we all are these days.) Night time then took us to our destination the Royal George hotel at Birdlip.What a lovely hotel.Spotlessly clean room,beds very comfy and brilliant white bedding and towels.Staff very friendly,but alas,a slight hiccup with the breakfasts.The full English breakfasts were a little cold,one of them had to be returned THREE times in the end it wasn`t eaten as the beans were still cold.After having a quiet word with the under manager,they deducted the price of all the breakfasts.The evening meal was lovely,and a varied menu.

Room Tip: The hotel is popular with many tourists and is easily accessible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to offer you review, my apologies about the cold breakfast I have shared this with my Head Chef to take action. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I have shared your lovely comments about the team with them all. Thanks Michael and all the team.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed with my wife and daughter at this hotel for just the one night.

Don't expect a stunning view from your window (well, ours was just of the car park!) but the room itself was excellent, with a real cosy, old English feel to it (which was just as well as the weather was shocking!). The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was large.

The staff were great, checking us in/out really quickly without any fuss. It was useful having the pub/restaurant 'on-site' too, complete with Sky Sports which was good to catch a bit of the football!

The evening meal was very good and reasonably priced too; the breakfast was nice with a decent selection of food.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, I have shared this with all my team and it is always very rewarding for us all to see our guests enjoying their time with us. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birdlip
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!