“Wedding Venue”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A fantastic amazing day for our wedding,for us both and our guests the bridal sweet is stunning,the venue is gorgeous and the staff were so helpful and friendly,the food was delicious the whole week end was lovely so much so we did want to leave.
We had a positively memorable day and would whole heartedly recommend this beautiful venue to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

I am so pleased your big day was such a success and that all my team looked after you, I wish you both all the happiness in the world for your future together. We all hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future, thanks Michael and all the team.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel was a disappointment, it is the only place to stay in Bridlip, and the lack of competition shows. The receptionist was unpleasant and unhelpful, and much of the other staff indifferent at best. The rooms show wear and the cleanliness moderately acceptable. This hotel does have a nice pub and restaurant, although the food was of medium quality and not necessarily a good value. The wait staff in the restaurant was friendly, although rushed with a wedding party the night we stayed. For those walking the Cotswold Way, it is recommended that you plan your itinerary so that you aren’t staying in the Royal George as you will probably be disappointed as we were. I usual don’t give negative reviews, but this hotel is not recommended unless it is a convenient stop for you on your walking itinerary.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for offering your feedback on your recent stay, I offer my apologies that your experience was not up to the standard I expect for my guests. I have investigated your comments and am confident action has been taken to prevent this is the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We choose the Royal George as a result of seeing a bargain break with "Old English Inns" and the hotel's location. The Royal George is an attractive building though perhaps could do with a little tender care in places. It has a large car park and on arrival we found the receptionist very helpful. The bedrooms are sited at the rear of the hotel and of reasonable size. Again there were a few minor problems, in the bedroom there was a wardrobe door loose among other things. However this apart , the television was of good size and the bathroom had a first class shower. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided. We had a king size double which had a firm mattress. The room was very clean.
We chose a meal in the bar which was excellent value and very well cooked. Unfortunately we had a long wait for dessert and it perhaps better to order each course separately at the bar when required.
Breakfast was superb. Overall for a bargain break this was exceptional value. Staff were very helpful so with a little maintenance on the hotel itself I would give it a strong recommendation .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael J, General Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, we will be having a full refurbishment of the hotel over the next 12 months which will address a few of your points made, we all hope we can welcme you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Royal George is one of Greene King’s, Old English Inns. It’s a typical “chain hotel”, conforming to their standards. It provides clean, comfortable accommodation together with reasonable food at a competitive price. The staff are professional and courteous, knowing their roles.
The overall impression is of a well run business rather than an individual enterprise overseen by an attentive, enthusiastic proprietor .
You know what to expect and “it does what it says on the tin”

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay, we always attempt to ensure all our guests are well looked after and enjoy their time with us. We all hpe we canwelcome you back in the future, Michael and all the team.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Having had a super break earlier this year at another Old English Inn, we were looking forward to staying at The Royal George, and we were not disappointed.
From the moment we were welcomed at reception to the time we left, the staff were most attentive and efficient.
The room was the best we have stayed in for this chain, the bed in particular was extremely comfortable! The food was plentiful, and the menu varied enough for a short break, given that my wife is a vegetarian.
Overall, this trip represented excellent value, and we will definitely look to come here again.

Room Tip: I understand the downstairs rooms along the corridor from reception are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly I would like t thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future, Michael and all the team.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights as a couple. Easy to find, gorgeous views of Gloucester and a nice looking pub/hotel. Disappointing booking in service. We were unable to secure an upgraded room even though the website was showing availability (at the same price we paid for a regular room). Other than that, receptionist pleasant.

Our room was spotlessly clean and bed linen white and crisp – fabulous. Door did rattle quite a bit on the second night which was probably down to the wind. It would be good if this could be fixed though.

Ate in the bar area on both nights. Quite a good menu and reasonably priced. Service was slow though as previous reviews have noted. We waited over 40 minutes for an ice cream dessert despite reminding them several times. It would have been nice to have been given it for free or to have had a complimentary coffee to make up for the wait.

Breakfast was disappointing because having asked for Eggs Benedict, this is what I expected. However, I was served with an overdone fried egg (yes just the one) on ham and a muffin. Not Eggs Benedict! I should have complained at the table but was in a hurry to go. I did mention it to the receptionist on checking out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, I have shared you comments with all my team and also discussed the breakfast issue with my Head Chef to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We all hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked this hotel after ages of research on the web, we got a bargain deal for 1 night for 2 adults & a toddler. I thought the price was worryingly low & had 2nd thoughts after booking! Even my friends were questioning where i'd chosen when i told them the price! Id never heard of old english inns. Before staying the night we walked into a lovely pub (queens head, burley) in the new forest & realised it was the same chain. i was optimistic & my friends were surprised when I told them it was the same chain! The food was fab & cheap! My friend said she wished we had a local pub like this near us. We were very happy with the royal george, the same standard as the queens head, we booked a table in the restaurant, the food was lovely & plenty of it, they have a great menu & great choice, even offering 2 children's menus, 1 for under 7's & 1 for 7-12's (very impressed). I was a little tense as the restaurant was very quite & my rather vocal 3 year old was not. The other patrons were not put out by this, they were all very pleasant & smiled at his little outbursts. The hotel room was acceptable with very comfy beds! The breakfast choice was outstanding for the price we paid, the staff were happy to provide porridge for my toddler even though I don't think it was on the menu. we were delighted with our booking & would recommend a stay in this lovely little English village. The staff were all pleasant. I don't know what there is to do in birdlip, but it seems a great location for a stopover on the way up to the Cotswolds, we were delighted with the pub when we got there. We asked a waitress for info on places to visit & she was happy to share her local knowledge. A quick check in after we ordered food & a very pleasant meal after our long day at peppa pig world!

Room Tip: We were in room 33 I think, up in the attic, it had a double bed with 1 single bed. Not outstanding...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments we are happy you enjoyed your short break with your family, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team and we all very much hope we can welcome you again in the future. Michael and all the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birdlip
4 mi away
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!