“Good value for money”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights just as a beak away from work. Got a really good deal via Old English Inns. Superb location handy for Cheltenham, Gloucester and all the pretty Cotswold villages. Although the environment a little tired the food and hospitality were excellent. When I arrived home I realised that I had lost an earring whilst away, I contacted the hotel and they sent it on immediately. I was delighted with the way this was dealt with, it is unusual to find staff who care about their customers.
We have used Old English Inns previously and will definitely be looking to enjoy future offers at their inns.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JackieH77
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your lovely feedback, I have shared you comments with all my team and we all look forward to being able to welcome you back again in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have just returned home from the royal George hotel, where yesterday we had our wedding reception and evening celebration.

I can honestly say that the day was perfect, the staff were always on hand to offer any assistance needed. They even gave us a sheet to stand on in the snow for our wedding photos so my dress would not be ruined.

The food was amazing and plenty of it, our geusts certianly didn't leave hungry. In the evening we opted for the buffet which was great, a good selection for all tastes.

We had a complmetary room, very clean, tidy and spacious. Our room was just down the hall from the disco and we couldn't hear it in the room, so are suprised to read that other people have had such problems with noise.

Breakfast this morning was delicious, a lovely selection and again plenty of it.

We would recomend the Royal George to anyone, especially as a wedding venue. Our day was perfect and one we will never forget. Thanks to all the staff for there hard work.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank mpkthp
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

It is very rewarding for all of us at the hotel when our guests enjoy their time with us, I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your lovely feedback which I have shared with all my team, we all very much hope we can welcome you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My first impressions were that the room was lovely- the carpet was clean and free of any stains which is a very rare thing, and the décor seemed nice

It went slowly down hill from there

Needing some help I spent a lengthy amount of time trying to phone through to reception and it not being answered- I put my shoes on and went there to find it unmanned- so I had to queue with everyone else in the bar ordering food and drink and wait to be helped

When it was time to finally rest for the night, I was horrified to find that there was a huge body shaped dent in the bed. As it was late, and I had already unpacked I had no choice but to try and sleep- either on my back in a hammock style- on my side sleeping uphill- or on the ridge. Needless to say I woke at least a couple of times every hour throughout the night. Speaking to others it sounds like the springs were broken.

In addition to not being able to sleep, the hotel is so loud! I heard the couple next door talking. People right down the corridor flicking their light switches on and off. Everyone getting up in the night to use the toilet. Everyone's tv. I would like to think that this was a one off unlucky event- but having spoken to many others at breakfast and seeing their haggard faces- it transpired I was not alone

Whilst the staff were never rude- and reasonably professional, there was just no warmth. When in the guest hospitality business you need to have a bit more than this

Breakfast was satisfactory. Nothing really wrong with it. can't complain

Finally I was also attending a business meeting

The room we were in was a huge disappointment- I think they try and sell this as a wedding room too. The windows would not shut properly- you could even see the flipchart paper moving in the arctic winds blowing through the gaps. We had to all sit there with our coats on shivering.

Finally the buffet lunch was horrid. I am aware it was only the basic package- but the mix of food was extremely random and didn't taste particularly nice. Only water provided- and not even a piece of fruit to follow

It is such a shame- it could be so lovely- with a great Cotswold base location, old building and lots of space and parking, but when everyone is very tired and hungry at the end- it defeats the point. When they haven't bothered to fill in old drill holes in the bathroom- and just cut roughly round wallpaper for the light fittings instead of being done properly- it screams that yes they are refurbishing- but it has been done very very cheaply. If you want to get some sleep go elsewhere

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay, with reference to the uncomfortable bed we have since ordered a new mattress to replace the existing one in this room so thank you for that feedback. With reference to the function room I have ensured that all the windows do close and the buffet package that you had was selected by the organiser

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stopped on our journey from London ,looking for some good food . Unfortunately I was served with food that was seriously below par.
My partner ordered steak which in itself wasn't bad although the ubiquitous chips were overlooked and very dark. I,on the other hand ordered the sausage and mash and was left wondering how long ago the sausages were originally cooked . They were dry with a really thick "crust"on the outside and frankly not very warm inside. There is no way that these sausages were cooked to order, and I doubt that they were even cooked on the same day.
I am surprised that these "alleged" good class restaurants can continue to serve sub standard product . It's not difficult to produce good food all you need is a little pride in the product that you are serving, unfortunately this was sadly lacking here

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us; I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that the standard of food was not to the high standard I expect from my business. I have discussed your feedback with my Head Chef and kitchen team to understand what actions need to be taken to ensure this does not happen in the future, these actions have now been implemented.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

got an very good deal with old english inn two double rooms three night stay £119. Royal George is ideally located to explore the cotswolds The rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable,staff were very friendly service ok considering the place was very busy the whole of are stay food was excellent and reasonable priced the breakfast one of the best i have had.would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank yashin
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer you feedback on your recent stay with us, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Michael and all the team.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights mid-week and got an excellent rate by phone from Old English Inns . We had a big comfortable room . Staff were friendly and service good . A great choice available for breakfast , including a favourite of mine , Eggs Benedict .

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us, I have shared your lovely comments with my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Thanks Michael and all the team.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The Royal George is quite a big hotel. The bar and dining area felt a little dark and rather soulless. The lunch specials were mainly something and chips. I wasn't too hungry and so had a side order of chips and a starter of breaded garlic mushrooms. The mushrooms were over cooked and the chips weren't crisp and were undercooked. My partner had Gammon which was quite tough. Even though the meals were inexpensive its not good value if the food is poor. Overall not a very good experience. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to friends

• Stayed: March 2013
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent visit; clearly we did not achieve the high quality of food standard that I expect from my business. I would like to offer my apologies on this occasion and would like to welcome you back so we are able to prove the high standard of food quality that we do set ourselves at the Royal George Hotel. If you would like to make contact directly with the hotel and speak to myself then we can discuss your visit in more detail. Michael Jeffries, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birdlip
4 mi away
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
The Rising Sun Hotel
The Rising Sun Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cleeve Hill

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!