“Comfortable stay”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights mid-week and got an excellent rate by phone from Old English Inns . We had a big comfortable room . Staff were friendly and service good . A great choice available for breakfast , including a favourite of mine , Eggs Benedict .

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us, I have shared your lovely comments with my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Thanks Michael and all the team.

There are newer reviews for Royal George Hotel

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

The Royal George is quite a big hotel. The bar and dining area felt a little dark and rather soulless. The lunch specials were mainly something and chips. I wasn't too hungry and so had a side order of chips and a starter of breaded garlic mushrooms. The mushrooms were over cooked and the chips weren't crisp and were undercooked. My partner had Gammon which was quite tough. Even though the meals were inexpensive its not good value if the food is poor. Overall not a very good experience. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it to friends

• Stayed: March 2013
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent visit; clearly we did not achieve the high quality of food standard that I expect from my business. I would like to offer my apologies on this occasion and would like to welcome you back so we are able to prove the high standard of food quality that we do set ourselves at the Royal George Hotel. If you would like to make contact directly with the hotel and speak to myself then we can discuss your visit in more detail. Michael Jeffries, General Manager.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had a great deal for a 2 night Sun/Mon stay. Very comfortable hotel, nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff, Excellent service and meals, breakfast was particularly good with plenty of choice. Parking spaces near to the hotel entrance, easy in/easy out, rooms very spacious.One criticism was the bar/lounge, closes VERY promptly and for todays standards very early (1030 sundays 11pm weekdays) even if there are people still there. Ideal place to stay for Gloucester and Cheltenham. Evening/afternoon meals were very reasonable with one course for 5.95 thru to full 3 courses for 9.95, really enjoyable. A lovely place, thoroughly recommend it and will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: As far as we could see, they are all good.
1  Thank Kes29
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us, I have shared your lovely comments with all my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future, thanks Michael and all the team.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Royal George for two days this February on a special offer deal. The room we stayed in was clean but looked tired and needed redecoration. The service was very patchy with some excellent staff who worked hard but some who looked like they would rather be somewhere
else and regarded the customers as an irritating inconvenience.
The hotel itself had a lot of character but again was in dire need of routine maintenance and repair.
The food was fair value for money and well presented.
Overall this hotel has some very good aspects and was fair value for the special offer price, but needs work on both the building and some of the staff.

1  Thank patrick_huggett
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Firstly thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us, we are going to be having a full refurbishment over the next 12 months which will address your comments about the hotel looking tired. Please accept my apologies that the service you received was not consistent, this is not the standard I accept from my team and will discuss your comments with them. Finally we all hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Have just returned from a lovely stay at The Royal George. The hotel is lovely, quaint and just the place for a romantic Cotswold stay. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Excellent shower with plenty of hot water - just make sure you get the pressure right or it will turn itself off! Hospitality tray with hot chocolate, tea, coffee and biscuits was replenished daily. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. Evening meals were delicious and excellent value. Three courses for £9.95. Spacious car park. Would highly recommend. All staff were friendly and accommodating. Thank you for a lovely stay! Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Would recommend rooms on the left-hand side of the property, away from the car park.
1  Thank Isabella107

Thank you for your lovely comments with regards to your recent stay with us, I have shared youtr lovely comments witrh all my team and we all hope we can welcome you back in the future. Thanks Michael and all the Team.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here to visit Gloucester and Cheltenham and it was an ideal base. The hotel is in a beautiful location surrounded by amazing views.
The room was in need of a little tlc but very clean and comfortable. We had room 11 which has a lovely view but is a little dark inside. The breakfast and dinner of a good standard and well priced.Elaine on reception is a real asset to the Inn, what a friendly and attentive welcome. We were told where everything was and what to do if we had any problems. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us, I have shared all your lovely comments with my team and we all hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Michael and the team at the Royal George.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at The Royal George Birdlip. From start to finish this was probably one of the best hotel stays I have experienced. The food was excellent an staff extremely helpful. Room was clean, nice an spacious, with large comfy bed an crisp bed linen. The only down side is that it needs a bit of tlc...but to me this added to the character of the place. The atmosphere in the bar is very welcoming, we had planned to go out for the evening on the Friday night however the live entertainment was so enjoyable we stayed, allowing us both to enjoy a drink....or two!!! If you are planning a wedding I would highly recommend it. I have been a wedding coordinator in a hotel before an also had my own wedding business and most hotels don't set rooms up until a few hours before an often are setting up while guests are arriving. Not at The Royal George the room was set up the previous night an to a very high standard. What with the beautiful location, service, friendly staff and excellent food this would be a very good choice to hold a wedding. Overall a very warm and friendly place.....highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birdlip
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Cleeve Hill
Clarence Court Hotel
Clarence Court Hotel
#2 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!