“overpriced food served with condescension”
Review of Old Passage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arlingham
Old Passage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Arlingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very average pub quality cooking, ingredients are certainly not all that fresh (including the fish).
Pretentious rather than inventive cooking served with condescension by the maitresse d"hotel.
Except the desserts which are inspired, tasty and attractive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pete88_13

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I can't remember the last time I had such an enjoyable dining experience. I hosted a leaving lunch at the Old Passage Inn one Friday lunchtime, and this restaurant was everything we needed to make it such a memorable occasion.

The restaurant is located down the end of a single-track road, right next to the River Severn, with expansive views up and down the river. The restaurant, which looks just like a cosy fisherman's cottage, is light and airy, with views right across the grass to the river's edge. Actually, I think the setting is one of the main draws to this place, the other being the food of course.

Speaking of which, I have to say that the seafood we ate for our lunch was some of the best I have tasted for a long time, due mainly to the fact that it is FRESH (in fact, the menu is designed primarily around what is available at the time, not what they can order in frozen from some supplier or other). We opted for the mixed seafood plate for a starter, which had a selection of boiled shrimp, calamare, oysters on the shell, crab, and breaded fish pieces. I had the sea bass for my main course, served in a delicate lemon sauce with a judicious serving of creamed mashed potato to go along with it. One of my colleagues chose the Dover sole, which looked absolutely delicious (I will definitely have this next time I visit).

I thoroughly recommend that you visit the Old Passage Inn if you are within 30 minutes' drive. Booking ahead is firmly recommended. And to speed things up (especially at lunchtime, or if you are on a time schedule) you can download the menu and pre-order your selections so that they are ready to start cooking as soon as you arrive.

Picturesque, delicious, memorable. You've got to try this place out if you haven't done so already.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had lunch there today and loved it. Beside the river, we could watch the tide coming in and marvel at the fact there used to be a ford here. Service was fairly slow but it didn't matter because the atmosphere here is great and staff friendly. We had the seafood platter menu which included great starter of mussels in a creamy sauce followed by plate of shellfish including half lobster each, prawns, oysters, smoked salmon, crab meat and scallop. We couldn't manage a pud. We drank a bubbly from Three Choirs up the road which could challenge any continental sparkling. Have already booked to go again. Ask about their 'bore' breakfasts if you go.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine D
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited on a roasting hot day and the place was very busy. The food was truly first class and although the service was a little slow (which we didn't mind seeing as they were packed and it was a glorious day and we weren't in a rush) everyone was very friendly. The whole experience was an absolute pleasure. So much so that we are going back to watch the Bore later this year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Although I visited the old Passage Inn on a Groupon Voucher, I would still expect the same quality as the regular menu.
But I fear that what was presented was an unappealing flavourless Fruits de Mare. I even question if the lobster was frozen!
The place was very quiet and the building ready to have money spent on it. Overall I feel that the restaurant is possibly trading on past reputation, which is a shame.
The staff were friendly and there was no rush to leave the able.

Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Matt B
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although a friend had told me about the front of house being rude to him a few weeks previously I decided to check the inn out for myself.
It was a very hot day and we decided to stop by to have a drink and look at the menu with view to booking a table in the future.We received a very frosty reception and were told they only let people have drinks if they are not busy (it was empty apart from a few people sat in garden area !)
In one way I was quite glad after seeing the extortionate bar prices on the way out.
A prime example of how not to attract customers !!!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank robertofloyd
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Interesting to read bad reviews after having good experiences. The problem with the Old Passage Inn seems to be what the name Inn implies. It was a stopping off point on a ford crossing of the Severn, so dropping in for a quick pint on a long journey, or today, after a pleasant stroll, is not what this place is all about.
We had reserved our table over a week before and had been asked to come at a particular time as they were very booked up. We had a warm, friendly and courteous welcome and service for our Thursday lunchtime meal. The restaurant was very busy and many couples arriving without reservations had to be turned away. It is an unpretentious, smart and spotlessly clean place in a beautiful position just a minute from the riverbank of a loop of the River Severn. We had the 2 course Fruit de Mer meal on a deal. The meal without the deal would be a little on the pricey side. It would have been £113 for 2 for the seafood feast with no wine, no drinks and no sides, but so worth it for the fresh-tasting, superbly presented shellfish (mussels, clams, cockles, crab, lobster, shrimps, prawns, scallops smoked salmon with home made mayonnaise). One minor minus was the lack of bread to soak up the blissfully creamy mussels and sauce starter and to eat with the rich seafood and mayonnaise. £1.95 for 2 very small round slices as if cut from a very tasty baguette. The bread came as a starter with two slabs of specialist butter which were not really needed as the meal was very rich, but we had eaten most of it while waiting for our meal. Despite this we would go again and perhaps choose something simpler. The a la carte menu has lots of reasonably priced choices, such as the Pan fried bream, with roasted gem lettuce, king oyster mushroom, Crab aioli, lemon and saffron dressing for £23.50, and Traditional beer battered Cornish fish, hand cut chips and tartar sauce for £18.75. There is also duck, wood pigeon, oysters and fresh lobster. The extras do mount up though, but no more than some other restaurants.
A really great find for a special occasion. The Fruit de Mer menu was outstanding!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Passage Inn? Share your experiences!