“Best fish restaraunt”
Review of Old Passage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arlingham
Old Passage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Arlingham B&B and Inns
“Best fish restaraunt”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this plac many times and thought it about time to review it. Fantastic place I've never been disappointed. Not the cheapest place but fantastic food. Set in a great location as well bit out of the way but well worth the journey

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had seen the web site for this restaurant some time ago, so when my partner and I were that side of Gloucester we decided to have lunch. We found it at the end of a track next to some scruffy farm buildings.The outside of the property is in keeping with it's surroundings.The main part is painted blue, the rest green. The restaurant is a pale acid green, lit by Ikea low voltage string lights. The decoration is of minimalist design. No curtains, soft furnishings or anything to absorb sound which ricochets around the barren surfaces. Looking outside, the garden area is sadly the same as the rest. There are the remains of a herb garden, now long gone and the whole area is uncared for.
So to the food. We ordered a sharing pre-starter of crispy oysters (please note the plural !!!) ONE EACH arrived. Thinking that we were in for meagre measures we decided against a starter proper and went straight to the main course. One pan fried bream and one roast hake. This is where the review title comes in. Disappointingly average !!! All the self praise, trumpet blowing and over indulgent menus comes to nothing if the food on the plate is only the same standard as you can get in 100 other pub restaurants in Gloucestershire. The only thing which is not average is, of course, the price. We had 1 coffee, 1 coke, 1 crispy oysters and 2 mains. Total £60. That was £20 too much. Had we indulged in 3 courses the bill would have been approx £100
So in summing up. The whole place requires refurbishment. The menu needs to be less pretentious and the prices should reflect not only the mediocre quality of the food but the overall, rather poor experience.
Will we recommend ... no.
Will we return ... sadly, no.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm C
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We came and had a most wonderful evening dinner Everything was perfect. The room overlooking the Severn, the welcome, apetizers, food and service. We will most certainly come back and stay over once again.

Room Tip: Stay overnight in one of their charming rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

As expected this is an expensive restaurant, with very good quality food, albeit tiny portions! I have always had good quality food here. Service is good, just not big enough portions for the price, that's the only criticism I have really. The deserts are wonderful! Will be back. :)

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The restaurant is fresh and clean and all was looking good until I asked if they could do some clams and pasta for my 9 year old son - not too much to ask in a seafood restaurant with clams on the menu I thought - they make their own pasta and hadn't made any which is fair enough so I settled on the clam risotto for him which was reluctantly offered - to cut a long story short when it eventually turned up it was risotto with cockles - when I asked about this I was told that there was a mixture of clams and cockles which was untrue - the attitude was that they knew best - the fact that my son likes clams and not cockles seemed to be an irrelevant inconvenience for them.
My Dad and I had fish soup which was very good but it should be for circa £9.50 - the main course of Dover Sole was very very good too but it came with new potatoes and nothing else - at £32 I would expect a few vegetables.
We had two courses and coffee and we were in the restaurant for 2 and 1/2 hours - the service was painfully slow and I kept trying to attract the attention of the staff who only graced us with their presence when they wanted to so it was a drawn out and painful experience.
In summary the food was good but very expensive, the service slow and arrogant to the point of rudeness and beyond.
If you are into open wallet surgery, need to be put in your place while being made to wait for their idea of what you should eat then you will end up eating some good food provided that you like what the old passage choose to serve you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank James B
Staunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After having a fantastic meal we stay overnight in the Red Mullet room. It was very comfortable and we didn't want to leave. Lots of nice touches, the decor is well chosen and I can't fault it & believe me I look for faults.

Well recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were sure we'd picked the right place for our wedding reception very quickly - because Sally and her staff were as relaxed as we were about arrangements in the planning period - yet clearly committed to offering a great service and making sure we had a lovely day. And indeed they achieved that for us. Our 50-something guests were welcomed with the most delicious canapes and pretty (non-alcoholic) cocktails, and the staff were attentive without being too visible (not an easy trick to pull off). The food was exceptional, and we were able to feel as though we were almost entertaining our guests at home. This might not be a wedding venue choice for those wanting full wedding planning services, oppulance and simpering waiting staff - but if you want truly impressive food and a relaxed approach from kind genuine people, then this venue will suit you very well. Our Christmas wedding was thankfully dry (the only day of the week that was!) - but I imagine this location would be even more lovely if you could use the outdoor space and benefit from the river-side views. Thank you Sally - and your entire team. You did us proud and we were so happy that you were there to help make our day so special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank K C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlingham
The Speech House Hotel
Saul Farm Bed and Breakfast
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#4 of 5 in Frampton on Severn

Been to Old Passage Inn? Share your experiences!