“Excellent seafood in a lovely setting”
Review of Old Passage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arlingham
Old Passage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Arlingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I had Sunday lunch here with my husband. I had scallops thermidor for a starter, which was perfectly cooked and the cheese sauce was delicate enough not to over-power the scallops. My husband was also impressed with his seared scallops with black pudding starter. We both had roast cod for the main, which came with very nice accompaniments including samphire and girolle mushrooms. The highlight for us though was the chocolate delice we had for pudding, which was intensely chocolatey but nicely balanced with a salted caramel centre and cooling almond ice-cream.

Some reviewers have commented on the service being off-hand or rude but we had very friendly and attentive service throughout, so perhaps these issues have since been addressed. The restaurant setting is also worth mentioning as it is next to the Severn, which is very picturesque on a sunny day.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We went - again - for lunch on Sunday and had a really great meal. The fish is so fresh and flavoursome it's really hard to beat, and the wine list is expertly angled to the fish dishes on the menu. The menu stays broadly the same, but is focused on what the kitchen does best - accurate, well defined fish cookery combining great flavours without too many ingredients fighting each other on the plate. Puddings are much improved recently - more interesting and well presented. The setting, on the eastern bank of the River Severn, down a long track from Arlingham, makes a great place for a pre-prandial walk (if the weather is co-operative). Eating here is a real treat - long may it continue. And long may we be able to return!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Me & my husband had lunch at the Old Passage In from the Lunch River Menu which is a set menu which I believe changes every day or so. I looked for a quiet restaurant in a secluded place with views for some time now and we don't regret at all! We even had to come off our route and drove 1hr longer to our destination but it was worth it! From the start we were nicely surprised. As it wasn't quite 12 p.m. when they start serving lunch, we were sat in the separate sitting room and had coffee. Although it was raining, the lady oferred to lend us an umbrella and had a little walk by the river. The views are amazing there! Then we were sat at the main restaurant area and we ordered our food: for starters cauliflower soup and ham fritters and smoked haddock risotto and fish goujons. We ordered a mixed salad as a side which was for one person but the portion was huge for us two. The food was amazing, served with home made bread - two types and with two types of butter: volcanic rock salt and seaweed! It was delicious, we even wanted to buy the whole loaf. The food menu was totally different from the typical English pubs where you have burgers and fish and chips etc. We only paid 44 pounds for two course lunch and had pralines for free with our coffee after lunch! What a nice surprise. We would highly recommend it, especially if you have friends visiting to show them something different.

Room Tip: This In had three bedrooms all with views over the river Severn charging 110 pounds for a night for...
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We returned there for an anniversary lunch, having been a number of times over the years. We found the atmosphere to be friendly and informal as usual, and the food to be better than ever. We ate from the a la carte, and were really impressed with the interesting flavours and freshness of the fish. Coffee and desserts were equally good.

A la carte isn't particularly cheap, although the set lunch menu offers a good choice - but we always get tempted by the goodies on the main menu! It's super value and one of the best restaurants in a county that's a bit staid and boring as regards eating out.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2012

myself and my partner were recently walking in Arlingham and decieded to call in at the old passage for a meal, we had 2 glasses of white wine, the wine was pleasant but not very well chilled, so we asked for some ice, the waitress asked us if we were eating, and we were sort of told off, and told that if we came into the old passage that we were expected to eat, ok, but I thought that this was a pub, and I am honestly getting fed up with calling at pubs and they expect you to always order food, it calls itself an Inn, ok so mean it is a pub with rooms, anyway I said it that case we would have a couple of simple meals, and without even being offered a menu the waitress said "How about Fish & Chips" I said that would be great, she then asked us if we would like something else to nibble on, Olives or Prawns, I said Prawns please.
Well the prawns turned up promptly with a mayonaise dip, and we ate them. After finishing them our Fish & Chips arrived, this was poor to say the least, mushy peas with a crust of them, (must be a fashion thing), chips were black on the ends and the fish not sure what that was, not cod, whiting or haddock thats for sure, so we asked and was told Pollock, well thats a cheap fish so hopefully the price will reflect. OMG!! How wrong could I have been £31 for 2 Fish & Chips and £7 for a few prawns, would I have had food if I had seen the menu, No way, I would have thought that £10 for fish & chips would have been plenty and the prawns free, especially with the price of 2 Non chilled glasses of white wine, this place was nearly empty, am I surprised not with these prices, I know that pubs and restarants are closing all the time, and that they need to make a profit. But with Prices like this No wonder

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank nicelady96
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My Wife and I were treated to what was a fine example of the "warm hospitality" non diners can expect to receive if they dare to enter The Old Passage Inn on a warm sunny afternoon as we did yesterday. I find myself chuckling at the other bad reviews they receive here because it would seem they treat everyone the same way if they only want a drink. That is with utter contempt. We were told that we would be required to sit outside with our drinks or they would not serve us. It would also seem that draft lager pump is there for display only as I was told (as was previous reviewer) that only bottled lager was available, and then was charged £6 for a bottle of Peroni and an orange squash !!
I have to say I am absolutely delighted for them that their restaurant is doing so well they can afford to scare off any non diners but to save any further embarrassment for thirsty walkers/cyclists may I suggest they rename themselves "The Old Passage "RESTAURANT". As far as I am aware the word "Inn" is somewhere you go to have a drink and maybe a meal too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TJimmy83
Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife and I decided to have lunch after a walk by the Severn last Summer. We arrived early and took a table outside on the balcony, next to another couple who we quickly realised were being told off for sitting outside when they had booked a table inside! I asked to see a menu and was told to wait as the waitress was very busy. When the menu arrived, my queries over some of the dishes were met by near-exasperation, as if I was an idiot for bothering her. We left soon afterwards and would never go back. Rude, snooty and self-important staff.

Room Tip: Nice location but shoddy service.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michael I

Been to Old Passage Inn? Share your experiences!