“Self-important Staff and Rude 'Service'”
Review of Old Passage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arlingham
Old Passage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Arlingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2012

My wife and I decided to have lunch after a walk by the Severn last Summer. We arrived early and took a table outside on the balcony, next to another couple who we quickly realised were being told off for sitting outside when they had booked a table inside! I asked to see a menu and was told to wait as the waitress was very busy. When the menu arrived, my queries over some of the dishes were met by near-exasperation, as if I was an idiot for bothering her. We left soon afterwards and would never go back. Rude, snooty and self-important staff.

Room Tip: Nice location but shoddy service.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michael I
There are newer reviews for Old Passage Inn

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Five of us went to the Old Pasage for a family birthday lunch and we all had wonderful meals, full of delicate flavours, striking colours and textures. We each chose a different fish main course, turbot, skate, plaice, bass and monk fish, each beautifully fresh and cooked to perfection. The deserts were equally good and beautifully presented. The wine we chose came from the Three Choirs vineyard, just across the River Severn in Newnham. My previous experiences of English wine, admittedly many years ago, had not been good, but this New Release wine was recommended by the manager and was really delicious with dry citrusy flavours and a crisp edge to it. All in all it was a wonderful meal and I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 713Rob
Reviewed November 20, 2011

my husband and I stayed here for the night and ate in the restaurant in spring 2011. Reallly , really lovely room, quiet, warm, comfortable, very clean. food at night and breakfast was superb ( we are both chefs!). hope to return would highly recommend

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We've been eating at the Passage for years, under the previous and current ownership and it's still great. This place suits us perfectly, a great setting and not over-fussy food.. and its only 6 miles from us, so what a bonus !
Don't go there if you're expecting a mixed grill.. its nearly all seafood, but their steaks are great

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We went for a 'Birthday Breakfast', though hadn't stayed overnight. We had booked a table as requested on the website. We were slightly late, though the manager (?) was still very welcoming. We has a well positioned table, next to open french doors, with excellent views of the River Severn and beyond. Although a none fish eating veggie (this is a fish restaurant) there were a few veggie options. I had wild mushrooms on toast with parmesan. It was thoroughly delicious; a good variety of wild mushrooms, pea tops and a few slithers of parmesan. I good ratio of mushroom to toast. My husband had haddock omelette, which he raved about all day. We had our 3 year old son. I doubt they have small children here that often, be they were accommodating of him, engaging and patient. the latte was good, juice nicely served in individual jugs. We had a breakfast 'pudding' a Pain Perdu, which was a light sweet eggy bread with poached strawberries. Thoughtfully the chef had written Happy Birthday on the palte in chocolate. It was gorgeous. The service was spot on. Friendly and attentive, though not over bearing. I was dubious, this being a fish place, though would highly recommend. The manager noted that if veggies inform them of their dietary preference prior to arrival the chef with cater for them with a specific dish.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank ruby2sh0es
Reviewed June 26, 2011

After a lovely walk along the Severn Way on a hot sunny day I stopped here with my wife for a drink. I spoke to either the owner or manager who didn’t seem to want us there (she looked at us rather like something she'd wiped off her shoe). I was told clearly that we could only sit at the far end of the garden away from the main restaurant (which was fine); the beer on tap was off so I ordered a small peroni & a small soda/lime. This came to over £6 which caught me out somewhat as I only had £5.80 in change on me. I offered to pay by card but was told 'it's not worth my while using the card machine for such a SMALL transaction'. I said I hadn't expected a small beer & soda/lime to cost over £6 and she stated 'this is a restaurant, not a pub!' so I gave her what I had in change, then quickly drank our drinks and left. It's a shame, the service was so poor as it's a beautiful location and we may well have made the effort to return for a meal/stay.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LDM81
Reviewed May 27, 2011

It is difficult to identify this lovely friendly place with some of the adverse comments on this site.
We were treated wondefully from the moment we arrived and the evening food and breakfast was first class. The view of the Severn from the windows of our room was magical and we will certainly return.
Go there, dine and book a room as well.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marieclare_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlingham
The Speech House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Frampton on Severn
No photo provided
West End Farm and Campsite
#1 of 1 in Arlingham

Been to Old Passage Inn? Share your experiences!