“ok for an "arrive late, sleep, get up, leave" type of stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rivenhall Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Rivenhall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
UK
“ok for an "arrive late, sleep, get up, leave" type of stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My 9 year old son and I stayed here overnight while visiting family. To be honest, as I had grown up in the area, I knew this place as the "Rivenhall Motor Inn" and wasn't expecting anything more than a glorified motel. As a number of reviewers have said, the rooms are very dated and a little shabby in places (dead flies in the bathroom light, and a grubby valance sheet on the bed)

The staff were friendly enough and the breakfast was ok, although the coffee was like tar - if you can't make good fresh coffee then just serve good quality instant...

Would I stay here again? Yes, probably. It's adjacent to the A12 trunk road (not that you could hear it from our room) so it's well placed for journies around the eastern flank of Essex and it's reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I wouldn't say any are particularly worth seeking out
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here alone on business, the receptionist helped me to my room with my luggage, ordered me a taxi, cut my tags of my dress and gave me help, fetched me a drink from the bar so I didn't have to worry about being a woman alone.
The room was very nice, the bed was really comfy, very clean everywhere.
Great breakfast though the girl taking the order didn't listen and I had to make further requests. for things I had ordered and she didn't tell me that I could have cereals etc.
Lovely big car park and being close to A12 i did not have any problems with noise, I would definately stay here again and recommend it to others.
I didn't try the spa but am told it is really good. I paid £60 for bed and breakfast and it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ordino, Andorra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was near to where we were going to a wedding. It was easy to find, not far off the A12 between Chelmsford and Colchester. The reception area leads to a very nice bar area (very smart) and to the restaurant. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were perfectly fine, although some of the buildings look a little tired from the outside. However this had no effect on our stay. The rooms were clean, nicely equipped, and there was lots of parking. We did not use the swimming pool, but it was nice to have the choice. Breakfast was included and that was very nice too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because it was close to my meeting the next morning. It's the second time I've stayed here and chose it again because despite the fact it's a bit tired it has character, the staff are lovely and the food is superb.
So the bathrooms need updating but they're clean, beds are comfy (well to my liking anyway), reasonable quality toiletries are provided, there's tea and coffee making facilities and a trouser press. The restaurant has a varied menu with all food cooked fresh to order and of good quality. Breakfast has a good choice of continental items and other items cooked fresh to order. I love the fact they serve good pots of fresh coffee and plates are always hot meaning food stays hot. There's ample free parking and as a lone women traveller I felt safe.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

we booked the Rivenhall Hotel as we were attending a 50th birthday. However on our arrival we were put into cell block 200,the room stank , no double glazing , curtains half up &half down,
bathroom dirty & dated with a very poor quality matress, overall a total tip !!! After complaining we were shown to a slightly better room, which still wasnt somewhere you would choose to stay!
There was a big indentation in the matress at the end of the bed,shower was a dribble & no blind at the window,also the bathroom door had two holes in it which had been filled & just left ! Lots of mould in the bathroom as well, & unless you turned the taps on fully in the basin they flooded the floor . this crossroads type hotel needs to be condemed !!!! What a terrible place, dont be fooled by the photos all is not as it seems !!!!!

Room Tip: my advice to anyone thinking of booking this hotel DONT BOTHER !!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sibmrt

Travelers are raving about these Witham hotels

Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

When we attended Rivenhall last year we found that although it was cheaper than other places it was cheap for a reason. Rooms very dated, smelly rooms, defiantly been smokers in there. No cigarette bins outside therefore there was butts all over the floor and car park (not nice). Rooms so close to each other, like most hotels, but you could literally hear EVERYTHING through those walls. Shower was pointless, might as well have stood in the rain! Urgh! Nothing better than a hot shower after a 300 mile journey but nope, hot - yes but trickled out! Felt like standing under a leaky tap.

Nevertheless, staff were friendly and helpful and when I ran out of make-up and found that I didn't have all my toiletries they recommended a good corner type shop, open late most days in the middle of the high street not too far away!

Oh! And you can order in pizza from domino's! (YES!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has very helpful staff, good restaurant and bar.The rooms however are small, very dated and with very old plumbing. The bed was not very comfortable. Okay for an overnight stop but I would not want to stay longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Witham
Pontlands Park
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Rivenhall Hotel? Share your experiences!