“A grotty Leisure Centre!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rivenhall Hotel

Rivenhall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Witham
Essex
“A grotty Leisure Centre!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The title of this review sums up this 'spa' with the addition of rude staff!

I don't really have anything good to say about the place the main building Receptionist and the bar man were rude to us and service was non existent. The so called spa was in a different building to where they serve the afternoon tea so you have to get dressed to go and have this or even a drink. The only facility for this was a water machine which was full of rust on the side, dread to think what it looked look inside.

The spa facilities include a really small dirty pool, three beaten up and stained sun loungers, a jacuzzi, overdone steam room which you couldn't see yourself in and a tiny sauna that was too hot to sit in (so hot all the wood and signs on the outside was black as it was so burnt).

There was actually quite a well equipped gym but we didn't go for that. There were treatment rooms, we didn't pre-book as advised but did think we would be able to book treatments on the day. Didn't see anyone doing treatments or offering them.

Towels were provided, although rough faded ones that I would be ashamed to have in my bathroom. Dressing gowns and slippers are not provided (we knew this before hand and took our own).

The entire repair of the leisure centre was really poor. Carpets and floors were worn to the last thread. Showers and tiles everywhere had tons of mould. Shower doors in changing rooms you could see through.

The afternoon tea were a few cakes, sandwiches and scones. All of which were not fresh, we were provided with one pot of coffee which amounted to a half cup each for four and staff were nowhere to be seen to get more and didn't come back at all. We waiting about an hour and after the whole experience we decided to leave and go somewhere else. We were still hungry to stopped at lovely place for lunch on the way home.

I have never once felt the need to write a review like this, I usually find a positive for everything but at a push I could say the dining room for afternoon tea was pleasant. That's it!

We have never stayed here but walking passed open rooms when walking through the building they looked depressing and smelt really bad.

If you are thinking of booking a Spa Day here .... Rethink! I would have been disappointed paying a fiver to use these facilities.

2 Thank ChelleKiely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here Saturday 16th March to celebrate an anniversary. Seriously wish we would of stayed at home. I dont write snooty reviews or exagerate the truth.

We arrived and checked in the receptionist was really lovely and showed us what direction our room was.

Rooms are terribly out dated and in desperate need of a revamp but for one night it was sufficient and clean - no smell, large wardrobe, clean bathroom (had limescale) but was ok.

We had a few drinks in the bar before we headed to the spa area. The bar was good - good polite service from a happy bar tender/waiter.

Unfortunately this is where my review will go into the bad points. The spa area was really really awful, the changing rooms for the ladies were very small - I ended up getting dried and changed in the toilet.

Once you have changed and make your way down to the pool/spa area you have to walk down a flight of stairs which are stained and drenched from years of wet footprints. I actually was scared I would pick up verruca's or atheletes foot.

The pool/steam/sauna/jacuzzi was busy we stayed in their about an hour couldnt bare any longer. Used plasters on the side of the pool cracked tiles, some bloke pretended to slap a lady's bum when she wasnt looking.

We went and got changed and headed for an early dinner to be told by the lady receptionist whose blouse was stained around the armpit area and didnt fit her properly so could see her bra underneath told us it was fully booked and we could eat in the bar area.

We left and headed out to eat we went to crofters in witham high street. Would've been nice if we were told we had to book to eat in the resturant when we checked in.

Breakfast the next morning was more fun and games with the toast being served with no butter.

Im under no illusion that the staff who work here do a fantastic job - none of them were rude, I wasnt rude - but I really dont see how this place can charge £70 for a one night stay including breakfast when this hotel/spa is so below standard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsSalvati

Travelers are raving about these Witham hotels

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Me and my sister booked a spa break for put mum for Mother's Day! I booked before I actually read any reviews which is really unlike me so when I 'did' look at some of the reviews I was quite concerned and was worried It would be the spa break from hell! How wrong was I?!

We arrived early at midday knowing that we more than likely wasn't going to be able to check into out room until 2pm but came early as our spa treatments were for 1pm due to that being the only availability. The man on reception was extremely welcoming and said that our room was ready and waiting! He was most helpful giving us lots of info about the hotel & facilities even though the was a queue of ppl behind us he made sure we knew everything we needed to before he directed us to our room.

Our room:- ok, so the decor is ridiculously outdated, especially the bathroom, and there was lime scale around the plughole etc but the whole room/bathroom was spotless! Clean ironed bed sheets which smelt lovely! As there was 3 of us we sayed in a family room with a double bed and sofa bed. Double bed mattress was pretty hard and sofa bed the exact opposite but nothing too major. Had essentials, kettle with tea/coffee & biscuits, plasma tv, hairdryer enough clean towels for all 3 of us!

Spa/pool- treatments were lovely! One girl in particular called Claire was lovely! Another, not sure of her name, very SNOOTY! But overall treatments were fab! Pool, ok so not that big but lovely and warm! Will be returning with my partner & baby next month as was perfect temp for my little one. Jacuzzi, sauna & steam room, small but lovely! Ok so it's all a little outdated again but clean!

Restaurant:- wow-wow-WOW!! Amazing food!!! There was a mix up as our dinner booking we made when we arrived wasn't written down but they barely kept us waiting and we were seated within 5mins and they couldn't apologise enough! The food was FAB! Service- FAB!!!! Very attentive staff!
Same with bar staff & bar food! YUMMY! Definitely not what I expected from a 3star hotel! Breakfast was just as yummy and great selection!!! Clean table clothes, cuttlery and glasses!

Overall out one night spa break was great! Hotel needs a good revamp, more so rooms and pool etc but restaurant & bar are lovely!

The staff most defenetly made our trip! Thomas being lovely & attentive! And seems to be working throughout our whole stay! But I can see why as he is a credit to the hotel!

Guys, this place is definitely value for money! Anyone complaining were clearly expecting too much whereas I was the opposite!

Will definitely be returning again soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was bought an overnight pamper break for two at the Rivenhall Hotel as a birthday present and took my friend along with me. Inital impression when we got there was that the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. Having arrived late we were still offered dinner and when we declined this the receptionist changed our inclusive three course meal to lunch the next day ..... wonderful!. Room 445 was very spacious but dated and in need of a revamp but having said that it was very clean and had everything we needed. The breakfast was great, very quick to arruve and piping hot and waitress was very attentive. We both really enjoyed our treatments and the facilities in the spa and followed this with a very good three course lunch. We found the food to be of a very high standard and the hotel/spa staff very courteous and helpfull, in fact they couldn't do enough for us to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. We would definately recommend this hotel and the spa and restaurant and plan to return soon.

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband brought the afternoon tea and spa deal and I took my mum on 14th march... All the staff was friendly and helpful... The beauty treatments were fantastic and a good price... The afternoon tea was great with a lovely selection.... Yes the changing rooms are dated and could do with a re vamp but the service was fab for the price.....And I would recommend this great deal :0)

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Third visit to here and every time is better sure there is little niggles as with anywhere but overall this is on our top 3 list of places to stay the staff are always polite room service is spot on with quality and time the rooms are always clean the gym is great and free to guests lovely bar and service and food is great the only negative you will get from me is the rooms could do with central heating a minor thing we overlook my partner is so impressed we will be plannng our future wedding there all in all 9.99 out of 10

Room Tip: rooms on the ground floor at the end of blocks away from fire exits are best as you dont here people...