White Hart Hotel
The Limes(Maldon)
$118
$66
$65
Travelodge Colchester Feering(Feering)(Great Value!)
$58
Travelodge
Premier Inn Braintree (A120) Hotel(Braintree)(Great Value!)
$65
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Boreham) Hotel(Chelmsford)(Great Value!)
$125
$66
PremierInn.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswhite hartfour posterstayed herethe pubbeer gardenchristmas decorationsfull english breakfastcomfy stayfried breakfastsunday carverylovely roomfunction roomdouble glazingfamily mealbed was very comfortablevaried menupiping hot
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My family and I have just returned from a trip to Witham for my daughter's wedding. We stayed at the White Hart and we loved it. I found that every single person I spoke to had a 'no problem' attitude that was very refreshing. Yes, it's a bit old-fashioned but what do you want from a place that's been going since 1430? In fact, this old-fashioned quality is one of the things I loved - I live in Cyprus and we have no lack of slick, bang up-to-date hotels that are souless, tourist factories. I hate them. Also, it's a B&B at a very reasonable rate - you can't compare it to a big-chain hotel.
Children are not allowed in the bar but they can have a drink or a meal elsewhere on the premises, as can their parents. I'm quite happy about this. There's nothing sadder than watching exhausted kids trying to sleep in a noisy bar when they really should be in bed but their parents are determined to go on the lash - we see it here all the time. (There's also nothing worse than trying to have a quiet pint with someone's brats running about screaming!) My 11 year-old grandson was made very welcome and the reminder about him not being allowed in the bar was given gently and almost apologetically.
I think people might sometimes fail to understand the nature of the place - it's an inn. Primarily it's a local pub that has rooms to let upstairs, and it has been for almost 700 years. You can't judge it the way you would a hotel, whose primary business is the letting of rooms- with a bar struck on, as it were.
Jo the manager was helpful and cheerful at all times - including when I asked for a change of room because my arthritic knees couldn't handle the stairs. The owner, Tracy, treated us like friends and all the staff, from the boss to the cleaners, were very nice to us.
Some pretty good ales in the bar and a decent, well-cooked menu made for a very pleasant stay and I, for one, will be back

Room Tip: Watch out for the stairs if you have knee problems - there's no lift and the stairs are many and steep.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Me my mother and my son recently stayed at The White Hart on a trip from Cyprus for my sisters wedding. Our very first impression was just how lovely the staff were, even before we had met them, the answer to every question was "Yes" and "We can do that". Our family room was large , with a big bathroom and furnishings were lovely and comfortable to go with the sparkling clean bathroom, Couldn't have asked for more.
Also because the village isn't all that busy, the hotel is nice and quiet at night which makes it very easy to sleep.
Had a wonderful dinner there the day after the wedding, all food was really really good and again served by very friendly helpful staff.
My son was accommodated no problem (He's 11) and we felt very comfortable and at home at all times while there.
I will also be staying in contact with the staff there especially owner Tracy and Assis Manager Joe we all hit it off straight away and they really did make our trip.
Thank you muchly to the White Hart!!!

Room Tip: Family room at the top of the hotel is up quite a few flights of stairs. My mum struggled a little to get up there, but the quality of the room is well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were in the area and needed a room to stay. The hotel was great value for money and the staff were very helpful. The rooms are in need of updating. Older tvs,in the room and the style of the room is, in my opinion slightly outdated. However the price reflects that and the most important things like the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were lovely and do not need anything doing-ours was clean, spacious and a powerful shower.

The staff were all very friendly. We turned up on a busy Saturday evening. The breakfast is also very impressive and not only was there a large bowl of strawberries along with bananas, yoghurts,cereals, the hot food menu was also extensive and allows you to have American pancakes or kippers as well as your more traditional English cooked breakfast.
We didn't eat in the evening there as it seemed quite busy but there is a good selection of restaurants and takeaways about five minutes walk away.

If you want a room to stay in and not too fussed about the decor, this is the perfect place to stay. It was such great value for money

Room Tip: Check which rooms have the free wifi. There is free wifi in the hotel but you can only get it in certain rooms. If not then you just have to get it in the lounges or bar area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed for one night. Three adults, asked for and was given the family room, one double, two single, large room. On arrival was delt with swiftly and politely. Room at top of pub up steep and creaky staircases. Room situated at rear of pub overlooking car park and shopping precinct. Very quiet. Although the decor needs a bit of attention (paint peeling off window frames and net curtains had tears in them), the room was clean and tidy. Included in price (£80) was breakfast, which set the day off nicely, well cooked and eggs cooked as ordered. The staff that we met were friendly and obliging. Would we stay again ? Yes

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the White Hart Hotel in August 2011 and provided feedback to the manager at the time in respect of our stay. The management were not interested and would not come to talk with us directly, instead deferring such duty to the part time teenager. We actually paid for three rooms and only required two at point of arrival due to an illness in the family. It was disappointed to learn that although we were the only guests in the hotel that the manager was not willing to provide a refund or discuss this issue with us directly. The service provided by some of the staff was good, although not all which lets the hotel down. The rooms are old and tired. The hotel can not accomocadate children past 9pm and ask that they are left in the room due to licencing issue. We would have been well advised to know this before booking as we have two young children. We would advise you to avoid staying at this hotel and look to colchester or chelmsford. Long live the Great British hospitality business!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family