“Good food for a good price”
Review of O Picado

O Picado
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was expecting a café, and got a nice looking restaurant with lovely features inside and food to die for. Lunch is the best time to go for if you are looking for value for money. Jacket potatoes are around £3, but the main lunch dishes are all at £5 per dish, including pasta dishes but also meat and vegetarian options. Some are typical Portuguese dishes, but others are more generic pan-European mixes. The piri-piri chicken was well endowed and tasty. Good portion for £5 with rice a nd salad included. The mushroom omelette was really nice with a lovely side salad very fresh and crunchy. The picado dish was a bit disappointing, and it looked more like a beef stroganoff and less of 'beef picado' (which is a typical Madeira dish and I was expecting better since the name of the place is PICADO). Food was freshly cooked and I could hear the sizzling noise of the grill and frying pan. These deal dishes are available even on Sunday, when I went. Staffa re lovely and if you speak English or Portuguese there is a chance you can have a nice chat with people. I was expecting more Portuguese patisseries around, but there were some cakes, some typical Portuguese while others were more generic. Hot drinks were nicely priced too, but cold drinks were expensive. I paid £2 for a small bottle of sparkling water, which was not even Portuguese water but sourced in the UK. I know the place is a restaurant but it has plenty of room and it could do with a little shop tint here with Portuguese produce, as it would bring more customers too. There are other a-la-carte menus etc, but more expensive dishes aroudn £12-£20 per person. There is variety though, in particular the fishes from octipus, seabask, sardnies, sword fish, etc. All in all it was £8 per head, with main dish, drink and a nice espresso. Not bad for a Sunday lunch! I would definitely return.

1  Thank miguelitommmmmmmm

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We found this restaurant purely by chance and have to say what a gem of a find! I am in a 6 piece band and have now been to this restaurant 4 times for the band (plus wives) Christmas meal and just recently our singers birthday (11 of us). Every time we have been the food has been outstanding, service has been good, waitresses really friendly and the place itself is fantastically themed.

As other reviews the service is not always the quickest but I am one of these people that does not like to be rushed. Some places I have been to as soon as you've finished your last pea they swipe the plate away and before you know it have the dessert menu shoved in your face!! So if you appreciate fantastic food then the wait (if any) shouldn't bother you.

They have a very extensive menu and the choice sometimes proves quite difficult as there is sooo much to choose from and you even get the choice of the mains as starters (obviously smaller starter portion size) which is a great touch as you get to try more off the menu rather than being only a choice of 5 or 6 starters.

I would certainly recommend this restaurant to a friend, as I have done, and would say to anyone reading this to give it a go as, in my opinion, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am a regular and have seen the quality and standard vary over the years, but I visited with a group of friends Saturday and can say that the service and food is back to a high at the moment. The staff couldn't have been more helpful (if a bit flustered) on a busy Saturday night. The food was lovely as usual and portion sizes generous. We sat in the pretty covered veranda area out back and the grape vines were in full fruit so it feels like you are really on holiday!

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice in 1 week as they do lunch for £5 it's well worth it food is lovely lady who served us on both occasions really friendly

Reviewed August 3, 2013

From the minute my husband and I walked inside the restaurant we felt we had stepped into a little taverna abroad. The staff were very welcoming and we were taken to the outside seating area, which was lit with red fairy lighting under vines. Every attention to detail in the decor was excellent and I loved looking at all the nik naks scattered and hanging around that were most certainly of Portugese influence. The menu was quite extensive and the staff were very helpful in accommodating to what cut of meat we wanted. The wait for our meal was a lot slower than some restaurants we have eaten in, but not an excessive wait and when our food arrived it was presented lovely and absolutely delicious. Everything was freshly cooked and we couldn't fault a thing. We certainly will be returning and will be recommending to our family and friends.