“Disgusted”
Review of O Picado

O Picado
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived and were greeted and shown to our table. We ordered our drinks first which came swiftly. We then ordered our food..Garlic bread as appetiser,,Mussels and Garlic Mushrooms for starter and spagetti bolognase and steak skewer for main...Our starter arrived before our appetiser which we advised the waitress off who looked surprised and went of looking for it..We ate our starters..I was a bit disappointed with only 6 tastless muscles and my girlfriend again dissapointed with the mushrooms which I believe to have been tined. Eventually our appetiser arrived after asking another 2 times for it. It was by far the highlight of the meal.. The mains turned up..The spagetti bolognase had a tangy taste and subsequently was not eaten. The meat on the skewer was all fat and absolutely disgusting. I advised the waiter (possibly manager/owner) who told me that was to be expected from the skewer..For once I was totally speechless. After waiting 10 mins for a member of staff to appear we got the bill paid it with no tip and left with the satisfying knowledge we would never return..
Finally I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone

2  Thank grahamsos

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I took my Husband for his birthday meal & we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. We were there for 3 hours but seemed like 1! There was so much to choose from on the menu I could not decide what to have & it was a nice change to have sangria rather than wine with the meal. The staff were so welcoming & friendly & there was a great ambience. We just don't know why it has taken us so long to try this restaurant. We won't leave it too long before returning. It would be nice in the summer to sit out the front & have a drink or to sit in their gardens at the back for a meal. Thank you O Picado!!!

1  Thank Liz L
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This cosy, family run restaurant offers not only exceptional food, but exceptional service as well. Highly recommended. My third visit and definitely not my last.

1  Thank janicearch
Reviewed December 21, 2012

we went as a group from work on a Monday evening. The restaurant was busy all evening, all tables full when we got there, and re-filled during the evening. As a group of 10, service to our table was a little slow, but the choices from the menu and the quality of what was presented, was excellent. At the end of the evening, I managed to talk to the chef, and discovered only one person in the kitchen - no wonder it was a little slow. Nonetheless, I would definitely go back for another visit. Very, very nice.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is O Picado, not Picardo...Portuguese for a chop, a name often used for places which sell the upright meat kebabs which seem to be popular in parts of Portugal, though this is a Maderian restaurant and for me is totally authentic. It really reminded me of my trips to the little Atlantic island including the slightly hectic interior, relaxed service and simple but well cooked food. I would recommend a real Maderian treat in the limpets followed by a steak kebab with fried maize. The fish dishes are also good, essnetially simple cooking, but then much Portuguese cooking is based on fairly simple seasoning and cooking. I would however go for the house specials such as fish rice, espetadas etc and not their variations on more popualr English options like straight steak and chips. Only critcisms are the tight space, but it is a small restaurant, and the wine list is a bit boring.