“Service a little slow, food and atmosphere excellent”
Review of O Picado

O Picado
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed December 21, 2012

we went as a group from work on a Monday evening. The restaurant was busy all evening, all tables full when we got there, and re-filled during the evening. As a group of 10, service to our table was a little slow, but the choices from the menu and the quality of what was presented, was excellent. At the end of the evening, I managed to talk to the chef, and discovered only one person in the kitchen - no wonder it was a little slow. Nonetheless, I would definitely go back for another visit. Very, very nice.

There are newer reviews for O Picado

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is O Picado, not Picardo...Portuguese for a chop, a name often used for places which sell the upright meat kebabs which seem to be popular in parts of Portugal, though this is a Maderian restaurant and for me is totally authentic. It really reminded me of my trips to the little Atlantic island including the slightly hectic interior, relaxed service and simple but well cooked food. I would recommend a real Maderian treat in the limpets followed by a steak kebab with fried maize. The fish dishes are also good, essnetially simple cooking, but then much Portuguese cooking is based on fairly simple seasoning and cooking. I would however go for the house specials such as fish rice, espetadas etc and not their variations on more popualr English options like straight steak and chips. Only critcisms are the tight space, but it is a small restaurant, and the wine list is a bit boring.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

once again opicado has surpassed itself, our daughters birthday meal was so special thanks to this wonderful place the food was amazing, steaks so tender ,skate, divine, red snapper delicious. the starters from mussels,jacks, octopus,scabbard,and saltcod,cannot be faulted and the chocolate almond tart is to die for , then what better way to finish their delicious liquior coffee. many thanks to wonderful staff who work so hard but allways make you feel so welcome, cant wait to come back again .

Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Not sure if we picked a bad night or were just unlucky in our choice of dishes.

Tried the garlic bread with cheese for starters - I liked it but my gf didn't like it.

Mains were bife a cavalo (sirloin steak with fried egg on top) and galinha piri (chicken with strips with peppers and potatoes).

My steak was full of joints and nothing like sirloin I've had before. I've not had much Portuguese food before so I'm not sure whether it should have been like that. Was a bit bland though.

My partner had the chicken (tried a bit of hers - which tasted good) but I'm feeling the onset of heartburn as I'm typing this (gf says she feels the same).

The other reviews mention the seafood being good so maybe I should have stuck with that.

Our waitress was friendly and explained the dishes and offered us the pre-theatre option of two pastas and a starter.

If this is the one of the best westcliff-on-sea has to offer, I strongly suggest you guys come down to Brighton and see sample some of the amazing restaurants down here. :)

2  Thank SohailR
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had never noticed this place and had driven past it hundreds of times. The food is just great and the service was fantastic!! Custard tart was just brilliant. Will be back.