“Not sure what all the fuss is about”
Review of O Picado

O Picado
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Not sure if we picked a bad night or were just unlucky in our choice of dishes.

Tried the garlic bread with cheese for starters - I liked it but my gf didn't like it.

Mains were bife a cavalo (sirloin steak with fried egg on top) and galinha piri (chicken with strips with peppers and potatoes).

My steak was full of joints and nothing like sirloin I've had before. I've not had much Portuguese food before so I'm not sure whether it should have been like that. Was a bit bland though.

My partner had the chicken (tried a bit of hers - which tasted good) but I'm feeling the onset of heartburn as I'm typing this (gf says she feels the same).

The other reviews mention the seafood being good so maybe I should have stuck with that.

Our waitress was friendly and explained the dishes and offered us the pre-theatre option of two pastas and a starter.

If this is the one of the best westcliff-on-sea has to offer, I strongly suggest you guys come down to Brighton and see sample some of the amazing restaurants down here. :)

2  Thank SohailR

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had never noticed this place and had driven past it hundreds of times. The food is just great and the service was fantastic!! Custard tart was just brilliant. Will be back.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

love this place, the food was great.

Had chilly bread for starter which was great! followed by the steak equally tasty.

really reasonably priced and the best sangria I've had since I visited Portugal, so nice I wouldn't share it!

Very rustic with a warm and cosy atmosphere and lovely attentive staff.

2  Thank stan0170
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was going to the palace theatre (which is just across the road) decided to go here at short notice for a bite to eat first...loving atmosphere - very friendly staff...huge menu....lovely setting inside and hidden covered area out the back...really good value and busy bustly restuarant but attentive friendly staff - would recommend - would go back

2  Thank Donnaroche
Reviewed October 30, 2012

O Picado could be just another one of those restaurants that looks a bit generic from the outside. I'd walked past it hundreds of times before going there a couple of months ago for a friend's birthday. What you can't see from the street is the incredible grapevine-covered 'open air' section at the back. A large group of us went for a late dinner and were so impressed. Everyone agreed the food was impeccable. A man played the guitar and sang in the corner, and it was warm enough to forget that it was early September. It was also very busy, which was testament to this hidden gem.

Keen for a return visit my siblings and I took our parents there for their 40th wedding anniversary this week. The open air section at the back doesn't have heating, but the staff said we could test it if we wanted to sit there and always move inside. In the event I knew straight away it'd be too chilly so we sat inside. I was a little worried that the effect would be ruined with no grapes and no guitarist, and my Dad in particular is a bit fussy about where he eats (thinks of himself as something of a seafood connoisseur).

In short, our waiter was very attentive (he was the only person working, with maybe 12 customers in the restaurant); everyone was impressed by the chorizo which is cooked on your table as you turn it; the cheese with chillies garlic bread is amazing; the house wine is perfectly drinkable and good value; Dad said his fish stew was "fantastic"; we all gorged ourselves - table food, starters, mains, dessert, bottles of wine and beer for 6 over 2.5 hours - and it came to less than £36 a head. Seriously good value and I can't stress enough ALL the food tasted amazing and well prepared. If I'm going to be objective I'd say we waited about 4 minutes longer than I'd have liked for the bill. But that's the only downside.

2  Thank BrokenFriend