“Great evening - hidden gem...”
Review of O Picado

O Picado
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was going to the palace theatre (which is just across the road) decided to go here at short notice for a bite to eat first...loving atmosphere - very friendly staff...huge menu....lovely setting inside and hidden covered area out the back...really good value and busy bustly restuarant but attentive friendly staff - would recommend - would go back

2  Thank Donnaroche

Reviewed October 30, 2012

O Picado could be just another one of those restaurants that looks a bit generic from the outside. I'd walked past it hundreds of times before going there a couple of months ago for a friend's birthday. What you can't see from the street is the incredible grapevine-covered 'open air' section at the back. A large group of us went for a late dinner and were so impressed. Everyone agreed the food was impeccable. A man played the guitar and sang in the corner, and it was warm enough to forget that it was early September. It was also very busy, which was testament to this hidden gem.

Keen for a return visit my siblings and I took our parents there for their 40th wedding anniversary this week. The open air section at the back doesn't have heating, but the staff said we could test it if we wanted to sit there and always move inside. In the event I knew straight away it'd be too chilly so we sat inside. I was a little worried that the effect would be ruined with no grapes and no guitarist, and my Dad in particular is a bit fussy about where he eats (thinks of himself as something of a seafood connoisseur).

In short, our waiter was very attentive (he was the only person working, with maybe 12 customers in the restaurant); everyone was impressed by the chorizo which is cooked on your table as you turn it; the cheese with chillies garlic bread is amazing; the house wine is perfectly drinkable and good value; Dad said his fish stew was "fantastic"; we all gorged ourselves - table food, starters, mains, dessert, bottles of wine and beer for 6 over 2.5 hours - and it came to less than £36 a head. Seriously good value and I can't stress enough ALL the food tasted amazing and well prepared. If I'm going to be objective I'd say we waited about 4 minutes longer than I'd have liked for the bill. But that's the only downside.

2  Thank BrokenFriend
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place is fantastic. In warmer weather you can sit at back under the vines and you really feel you are on holiday. The service is always good the staff are always friendly & amenable. The food is great, I love the tapas set menu including wine and home made bread set price fantastic value. The have different specials all week, i have tried most of them and loved them all. They often have live music which just adds to the already great atmosphere. Just wished I lived nearer then I would dine here every week!!

1  Thank juliesunny
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went for a family meal at O Picardo on Saturday evening after watching the firework display on the seafront. Great way to round of a nice day. My wife started with the baby Jackfish (Much nicer than whitebait) & I had the Black Scabbrd fish in batter. Both were excellent. my wife then went for a tasty dish of diced pork with herbs & I tried the Sirloin steak on a bed of maize & banana. Both were unusual & very tasty. Service was excellent & very friendly. We shall definitely be booking a table on our next visit to Southend.

1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Someone who goes to the Palace Theatre regularly told me about this restaurant and as we were in the area we thought we would try it for lunch. We visit family in Portugal every year and know the cuisine pretty well, but this restaurant is clearly Madeiran and the food seemed to be even better. My husband had galinha, which was a sort of one-pot meal of chicken, peppers, onion and new potatoes with piri-piri - he said it was one of his best meals ever. I had an excellent bean and meat stew. The kids had chicken nuggets and lovely hand-cut chips cooked in olive oil. The only things which could be improved were the accompanying bread which was tiger and not traditional, and the salad which was green where usually we would expect tomatoes and onions. But we all came away pleasantly full and contented, so it must be pretty good. And we intend to go back in two weeks time!